Hunting and game posts

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I’m after some beavers & a Bobcat photobombed the set.
image001.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
IMG_6031.jpeg

IMG_6047.jpeg

always curious

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I had a chance to check a few of my trail cams including the DNR Snapshot camera that I host. Most of these deer are post Wi rifle season.

STC_0022.JPG

DSCF0032.JPG

Image 2.jpg

Image 3.jpg
DSCF0045.JPG
Image.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well another bird feeder busted up, I dont know if it was the little black bear we have been hearing about, or maybe the deer knocked it down. I just know I need another feeder,,,grrrrrr

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Nice pictures Ken! I applied for the DNR program years ago, but my area was already taken and not available for me. Way to go!
Thanks!
The DNR hosted the annual Zoom meeting for camera hosts and interested parties this last Wednesday. As of 2022 over 50 million pictures have been uploaded and classified!

It's a shame your block was already filled, I know you would enjoy the experience. Did you ask if you're on a waiting list incase the current host for your block drops out of the program?

snapshot

Reactions: 1 user

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Thanks!
The DNR hosted the annual Zoom meeting for camera hosts and interested parties this last Wednesday. As of 2022 over 50 million pictures have been uploaded and classified!

It's a shame your block was already filled, I know you would enjoy the experience. Did you ask if you're on a waiting list incase the current host for your block drops out of the program?

snapshot
Yep, I was offered to be added to the list when I applied. I think folks really do enjoy the program and don't want to give up their spot! It's a great way for the DNR to have eyes on the ground literally everywhere in the State.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
This is why I carry a pistol with me. Went out in the field to pick up some firewood & came back with firewood & a coyote.
IMG_0021.jpeg

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Got it with a pistol? Do tell!
1 of my motorcycle buddies was visiting my farm. I put him on the tractor to go out & retrieve some firewood in a pasture where I removed a lot of trees. I have a homemade carry-all on the back for me to stand on & a rail to hold onto allowing me to give guidance on the way. We were crossing a native grass pasture when I saw something, a stump maybe? I didn’t leave any stumps in the field, wait, this stump has ears. The coyote got up & started away from us 50yds out. The coyote was only using 3 legs. The L front was being carried ahead of the dog straight out. I yelled “stop”, jump off & grabbed my pistol. (Ruger SP101 in .22LR, 5” barrel, 8-shot, that utilizes a transfer bar to allow the hammer to strike the firing pin. This pistol will only fire if the trigger is depressed. This is important later in the story.) I took off running in my work boots, in 12”- 14” grass, after the coyote. I’m gaining on it. The coyote, now 30 yards away, looks back & sees me chasing it. The coyote finds another gear & now I am not gaining on it. At 40 yards, I take my 1st shot, a little elevation & lead, boom, I hit him & he rolls, but right back up. I’m using CCI Quiet ammo (low power). I take another shot, missed. The coyote crosses a 5 wire fence into my cut brome field. He paused, decided he didn’t like not having any cover. I took another shot while he was stationary, hit, because he flinched hard & began to run down the fence line another shot missed. I started running again. I caught a foot on something, had that feeling of leaning to far forward & not being able to get my feet under me. I know I’m going down but can take a few steps while deciding on the best spot to do a shoulder roll. My hat & glasses come off, but I keep control off my pistol, grab my glasses & back in the chase. There is some brush at the end of this fence, cut brome field all around. The coyote must be hiding. I ran up to the brush & spot him. I find a small hole to shoot thru, miss, clipped a twig. Find a better angle now 20 yards, miss, another twig. I need to get a more open shot. I run to the corner gate, open & thru, find the coyote, check location of my buddy & tractor. I found a better shot & hit him, head goes down. I advance & shoot once more to be sure.
I was lucky to get her, yup a female. The leg was broken at the elbow joint. I have no idea what caused the break.

• Wow
  • Haha

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
1 of my motorcycle buddies was visiting my farm. I put him on the tractor to go out & retrieve some firewood in a pasture where I removed a lot of trees. I have a homemade carry-all on the back for me to stand on & a rail to hold onto allowing me to give guidance on the way. We were crossing a native grass pasture when I saw something, a stump maybe? I didn’t leave any stumps in the field, wait, this stump has ears. The coyote got up & started away from us 50yds out. The coyote was only using 3 legs. The L front was being carried ahead of the dog straight out. I yelled “stop”, jump off & grabbed my pistol. (Ruger SP101 in .22LR, 5” barrel, 8-shot, that utilizes a transfer bar to allow the hammer to strike the firing pin. This pistol will only fire if the trigger is depressed. This is important later in the story.) I took off running in my work boots, in 12”- 14” grass, after the coyote. I’m gaining on it. The coyote, now 30 yards away, looks back & sees me chasing it. The coyote finds another gear & now I am not gaining on it. At 40 yards, I take my 1st shot, a little elevation & lead, boom, I hit him & he rolls, but right back up. I’m using CCI Quiet ammo (low power). I take another shot, missed. The coyote crosses a 5 wire fence into my cut brome field. He paused, decided he didn’t like not having any cover. I took another shot while he was stationary, hit, because he flinched hard & began to run down the fence line another shot missed. I started running again. I caught a foot on something, had that feeling of leaning to far forward & not being able to get my feet under me. I know I’m going down but can take a few steps while deciding on the best spot to do a shoulder roll. My hat & glasses come off, but I keep control off my pistol, grab my glasses & back in the chase. There is some brush at the end of this fence, cut brome field all around. The coyote must be hiding. I ran up to the brush & spot him. I find a small hole to shoot thru, miss, clipped a twig. Find a better angle now 20 yards, miss, another twig. I need to get a more open shot. I run to the corner gate, open & thru, find the coyote, check location of my buddy & tractor. I found a better shot & hit him, head goes down. I advance & shoot once more to be sure.
I was lucky to get her, yup a female. The leg was broken at the elbow joint. I have no idea what caused the break.
You've got more gumption then me!!

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
You've got more gumption then me!!
A rifle would have made this much easier (less leg work). Plan to work on a rifle mount soon.

Reactions: 1 users