Humps

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
I have slower field that was plowed and left a few years ago. Now it is like sand dunes. It has 2 foot ups and downs and is a pain to cut.
What should I do to smooth it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've been trying out a pulverizer that was loaned to me by another member of the site.

Tried it out last night. But trying to figure out the best way to use it. Thinking I need to scalp the lawn first instead of just mowing it short. I'm also using it on baked clay, so I'm having to make multiple passes to loosen everything. It did do a nice job of smoothing the area I used it in :D

Straddling the high spots, will allow it to spread them out.

Here's the thread I started on it :D Will post more as soon as I can scalp my back yard and get into an area where I can do a criss cross pattern instead of just back and fourth.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26462

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
I saw that thread, looking forward to seeing finished product. Wonder if I can rent a pulverizer...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I saw that thread, looking forward to seeing finished product. Wonder if I can rent a pulverizer...

Not sure on renting one. You would have to call the local rental places and maybe some tractor dealerships. I know when I looked up what a pulverizer was, I had some pretty good sticker shock.

I got a couple areas along a small ditch out back that need to be dropped at least 8 inches. I'll try the pulverizer first. But may have to hook up the box blade to take some meat out.

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
I got a fuller a box blade I can work it with but its so dang uneven....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jnldr, I've got a D2 that will solve your problem!

Other then that, how hard is the dirt? How much growth in it? If you had a rock rake, it might help to level it some, or a box blade, or a disc. No matter what you use it sounds like it will take a few trips over it to get it level.

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
A D2 would be great!!!
I saw the thread on the land leveler and thought that may work and I have a Looong gravel drive to.
It is hard now but with a bit of rain should loosen up a bit.
This will be my winter project so hopefully the box blade will do the trick over time if I can't come up with a leveler...

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Disking can work on gopher mounds. They don't get 2 feet tall though.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Disking can work on gopher mounds. They don't get 2 feet tall though.
That's what I'm using that pulverizer for :) Except it's dachshund caverns where he dug up frogs and crayfish. And miniature versions of the grand canyon where he was following and digging up moles :rolleyes: :)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
After much testing of the pulverizer, if you have 2 ft humps, then your best best is a box blade and rippers. The pulverizer is great for taking down wash boards and smoothing up to 2 to 3 inches. After that you gotta pull out the big guns ;)

Had a spot where I need to fill in a Gulley and knock off about 8" of material. Had to use the box blade on that stuff.

So ideally a box blade to knock off the big stuff and fill in the gullies. Than a landscape rake would be the ticket for smoothing it back up.