Gill's pulverizer

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Borrowed a pulverizer from another member of the site :D

Goal is to get the yard smoothed out and to re-seed. Gave it a test run next to the garage tonight. Unit weighs around 740 lbs. has spikes on the front and back of an I-beam. With two rollers that float on the back.

Here's what I started with.

Here's after the first pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's after the second pass. Still loosening things up.

Here's after the sixth pass :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
With grass it worked so, so. Where it was almost all dirt, it works great!!!

It did knock the high spots down though in the sod :D Just gonna be lots of trips around the yard :rolleyes:

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Wow ....that's damn nice!

Ship that to me for JUST one weekend!!!

Nice job Daren!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was really surprised how the little bota handled it :D It didn't miss a beat even though the thing weighs over 700 lbs and 6 foot wide. It does shave off the humps in the sod, and when approaching a big dip, you can raise it slightly to dump any build up like you do a box blade.

I can't turn though unless I take the weight off it :rolleyes: It did build up quite a few grass clumps with it. But kicking the pile takes care of those :D

Gonna be a long run though doing 1 1/2 acres. I have a couple spots I may have to knock down first with the box blade. Then dress with the pulverizer :D

edwardsonmark

Apr 8, 2016
US
I need to do something similar to my 6 acres. I like to see what attachments work so I can look around. Can't wait to see the progress

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's the back yard after scalping. Tried to get pics of the high and low spots.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's the sway ditch I've been trying to get smooth. It's like eating a whale :eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Some spots I had to hit with a box blade to knock them faster.

Still on the sway ditch :(

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got the sway ditch done. :D

It's now nice and smooth and doesn't beat you to death when driving through it. Then hooked the pulverizer back up. And knocked out all the wash boards in the back yard.

Can now run in 7th gear on the tractor without getting shaken to pieces :D

Managed to get rid of all the places I was catching the mower deck on as well :D

Now to find a diesel zero turn that needs some tlc ;)

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Good looking dog, looks like my Emma. She is getting old and tired these days. ***128577;

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
image.jpg

This was the beginnings of my dirt tuner. 48" wide and spins 150 rpms(guestimating) does a decent job except on hard clay.
Beat on it last weekend,wish i would have angled it,then i could windrow the debris.
Pulverizer does a nice job, wonder how long it would take to straighten out 9 acres.....

My little unit is good on small areas 9 acres would take a year or so.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
View attachment 24091

This was the beginnings of my dirt tuner. 48" wide and spins 150 rpms(guestimating) does a decent job except on hard clay.
Beat on it last weekend,wish i would have angled it,then i could windrow the debris.
Pulverizer does a nice job, wonder how long it would take to straighten out 9 acres.....

My little unit is good on small areas 9 acres would take a year or so.
What did you put on the roller?

After looking over the pulverizer and seeing how they made the rollers. I'm thinking about making an aerator to go behind the tractor. Found a source for the bearings in town for $20. Only thing that would time consuming would be welding on all those spikes :rolleyes: just need to find a piece of pipe around 18" to 24" that won't break the bank :eek:

Plus I would add a couple pipe plugs to the side so I can fill with water for extra weight.

To do 9 acres with the pulverizer, it would take awhile. Especially if you have hard baked clay. Back yards about 1 1/2 acres and I'm not quite done. Still got the front yard to do as well :rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Its about a 10" drum with a 1"shaft. I made a cross bar for either end that i set in my brake lathe to size for drum. The studs are 1/2"x1-1/2 grade 8 bolts with lock nuts. Made a single v chevron pattern to go around drum. 65 holes if i recall. Shielded it and a flap in front to keep the junk from covering me.
It leaves distinct lines behind, but almost 100% coverage. A couple passes and it seems to smooth things out nicely. Took about 15 hours to build.

13 horse honda with a 3" pulley to a 12" pulley then a chain drive 1:1 to drum.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Its about a 10" drum with a 1"shaft. I made a cross bar for either end that i set in my brake lathe to size for drum. The studs are 1/2"x1-1/2 grade 8 bolts with lock nuts. Made a single v chevron pattern to go around drum. 65 holes if i recall. Shielded it and a flap in front to keep the junk from covering me.
It leaves distinct lines behind, but almost 100% coverage. A couple passes and it seems to smooth things out nicely. Took about 15 hours to build.

13 horse honda with a 3" pulley to a 12" pulley then a chain drive 1:1 to drum.
I like it :D Didn't realize that you had it powered. Thought you set it up to pull.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
junkie,,, that looks like a roller off a big old mine belt line around here that would be coal

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Figured I would give an update. Since I used the pulverizer on the yard, we've had rain around 3 times. So, the seed I put out hasn't done much. I covered the seed and I've been waiting or mother nature to bring in the fall rains.

So, today was the first time I've mowed since then. What a huge difference. I as able to mow in 6th gear. But the speed was a little fast for the finish mower to keep up. But the nice thing with the l1501 is the 4 speed pto. So, I grabbed second on the pto running around 700 rpms. Got the tip speed up on the finish mower to keep up with the faster travel speed :D

Got my mowing time down considerably :D:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Figured I would give an update since seeding the yard and show the finished product :D

Very happy with the way the yard turned out :D gonna need to roll it next spring just to knock down a few ridges.