HST vs. gear

Balvar24

Equipment
L3800 HST, 5ft Rotary Cutter, 5ft Box Blade, Pallet Forks, 72" Rotary Tiller
Feb 18, 2014
Rock Ridge
I've got a year on a L3800 HST. I do a lot of bush-hogging backwards and forwards along some fence rows.

Per the comment above, once I've engaged the PTO, it stays that way. But, with the HST, I've no reason to disengage.

I like it. My size 13 is big enough to heel-toe the pedal.

Also, it's handy pulling the tiller. I can creep as slow as I like.

In the end, it's probably what you're used to. If I could have gotten a deal on a gear drive model, I'd probably bought it and not looked back.

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Most of the pros and cons have been covered already but price hasn't been mentioned much. You need to figure out if the additional costs are worth it. Some say yes, others no.

I'm happy with my DT and when we're in the groove, it's as smooth as an HST. When I'm tired, I think I'd like the HST more, but then again, I guess I shouldn't be operating when I'm tired... or so my Safety Sally side says.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
We've had this discussion in the past, and a small point in favor of the gear is that is it goes bad, I can undoubtably fix it. Not so sure about an HST, never worked on one but I hear they're pretty complex.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
If am in a position of sliding down a slick slope, nose down and grass for example, with my L4600 HST and I step on my clutch will it free wheel so that I might regain tire roll and help with directional control. I have never remembered to step on the clutch rolling fast enough to test it. Here is the second part, Did I not see the clutch missing on the newer models ?? I was thinking Kubota moved the brakes back to the left side and did away with the clutch. If I am correct in the first part we may have lost this rarely but maybe needed functionality. I would rather have the new setup either way but others may feel differently.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
If am in a position of sliding down a slick slope, nose down and grass for example, with my L4600 HST and I stepped on my clutch if it will free wheel so that I might regain tire roll and help with directional control. I have never remembered to step on the clutch rolling fast enough to test it. Here is the second part, Did I not see the clutch mission on the newer models ?? I was thinking Kubota moved the brakes back to the left side and did away with the clutch. If I am correct in the first part we may have lost this rarely but maybe needed functionality. I would rather have the new setup either way but others may feel differently.
Yes on the L60 series as well as a couple others the clutch has been eliminated and brakes moved. I'm one of those who hates the clutch, but also hates the brakes on the left, so I bought a new tractor just ahead of the change.

I am in the minority as John Deere, Kioti, and others are set up this way and people seem to like it that way.

I don't make a living with my tractors and if it's muddy they stay parked, so there is that.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
Just curious, but do you step on the brakes on the new tractors as part of start up as opposed to me stepping on my clutch.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Just curious, but do you step on the brakes on the new tractors as part of start up as opposed to me stepping on my clutch.
No, not necessary to step on brakes to start. Do need to remember to touch them to disengage parking brake if that is on.

Telkwa

Jan 10, 2015
Chehalis, WA, USA
Well, dangit, after Fro65 described his experience I thought I understood this but now I'm more confused than ever.

I have the Kubota L3301/L3901/L4701 brochure in front of me. On the back of the brochure, the PTO type is described as "Live" for the L3301 HST and all the 3901's and and all the 4701's.

Only the L3301 gear-drive PTO is described as "Transmission driven with overrunning clutch".

A coupla days ago a Kubota salesman told me that the L3301 DT doesn't have a two-stage clutch. If I want to reverse, the clutch goes to the floor, which means the brushhog spins idle for a moment, then bangs back up to speed as soon as the shuttle shifter is thrown and the clutch is released. Right?

That's the way my Ford 600 functions. Except of course there's no shuttle shift. I talked with several guys at work with older tractors who say they do have a 2-stage clutch. So it's not some new technology. It's just something that the L3301DT doesn't have for some reason (?)

Can anyone help me clear this up once and for all? If the DT doesn't have a two-stage clutch then it seems like I oughta buy the HST even if I don't really want to.

Last edited:

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
The l3301dt does not have a dual clutch or live pto, You would also have to come to a stop to shift trans also.

Telkwa

Jan 10, 2015
Chehalis, WA, USA
I just got off the phone with the local salesman and he couldn't give me a concrete answer. He said the PTO is "independent" but you could tell he wasn't really sure about what happens if the tractor is moving forward, the brushog is spinning, and you want to stop/reverse.

So, Orangeman, Fro65 was wrong? No two-stage clutch?

Orange man

Equipment
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
The l3301dt does not have a two-stage clutch. The salesman is also wrong about it being a independent pto, a independent pto is not dependent on clutch use . They have their own hydraulic clutch packs. You could step up to a l3901 dt and get a two-stage clutch.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I just got off the phone with the local salesman and he couldn't give me a concrete answer. He said the PTO is "independent" but you could tell he wasn't really sure about what happens if the tractor is moving forward, the brushog is spinning, and you want to stop/reverse.

So, Orangeman, Fro65 was wrong? No two-stage clutch?
The L3301DT does not have a 2 stag clutch. But the L3901DT does have a 2 stage clutch. They are basically the same tractor cept for HP & PTO clutch. The L4701DT has a electric PTO switch & pretty sure it's independent.

Just get the one that has the options you want.

I really like the L3800DT with the 2 stage clutch! :cool:

Telkwa

Jan 10, 2015
Chehalis, WA, USA
OK, thanks, guys -
I talked to a few more dealers yesterday. Since the 3301 doesn't have the 2-stage clutch, and I don't want to spend $2000 more for the 3901, it seems that the 3301 HST is the better choice.

I didn't want HST but it sure seems like events are pushing me in that direction.

Orange man

Equipment
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
Maybe look for a l3800dt , still a lot of them around. On tractorhouse several dealers say they have them. That would get you a two stage clutch and none of tier 4 emissions .

Telkwa

Jan 10, 2015
Chehalis, WA, USA
Well, that's it. Drove down to the local dealer this morning and bought an L3301HST with cruise. Won't have it for a week. They gotta install the cruise and swap the Industrial tires for Ag.

I'm not very good at negotiating so I probably paid full guppy price.