HST swap

DLStryker

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas, TX
I think I might need a new HST in my B2400. $4K new and $2K from the salvage I called. I see someone locally parting out a B21. My B2400 has a two speed and the B21 is a 3 speed. Very close in production years. ANY chance the B21 HST would fit in the B2400?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the speeds are done by gearing. B21's have low, medium, and high range. It is a completely different transmission.

Do you have the ability to remove your HST from your tractor for diagnosis? May be a better option than replacing it as an assembly. I have rebuilt a few, rare for them to just fail. However, the usual cause is oil starvation or overheating, or sometimes both.

DLStryker

Aug 29, 2021
Dallas, TX
the speeds are done by gearing. B21's have low, medium, and high range. It is a completely different transmission.

Do you have the ability to remove your HST from your tractor for diagnosis? May be a better option than replacing it as an assembly. I have rebuilt a few, rare for them to just fail. However, the usual cause is oil starvation or overheating, or sometimes both.
New to me tractor. It had a leak when I bought it. I'm guessing prior owner may have run it with low oil. After I bought the tractor, it sat a couple of weeks and about 3 quarts of oil leaked from the trans. I filled it with Traveller Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic fluid. I backed up to a trailer and started pulling a piece of equipment off with a chain and the tractor stopped. I unhooked the load and the tractor would move forward and reverse abut an inch. I checked the HST oil and it was still full. So I went to Kubota and picked up Super UDT2, fixed the leak problem and drained the prior oil and refilled. There were metal shavings in the bottom of the trans case when I drained the oil from the screen bolt and shavings in the filter as well. After draining and replacing prior fluid the tractor moved forward and reverse. I drove the tractor up on the trailer and to the Kubota dealer. I called and they wanted to charge me $2K for the kit for checking HST pressure. They are going to do a pressure test and give me there opinion for $250.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I think I might need a new HST
So I went to Kubota and picked up Super UDT2, fixed the leak problem and drained the prior oil and refilled. There were metal shavings in the bottom of the trans case when I drained the oil from the screen bolt and shavings in the filter as well. After draining and replacing prior fluid the tractor moved forward and reverse. I drove the tractor up on the trailer and to the Kubota dealer.
I think I seen that thread. What was the leak? Maybe that was the root cause? Did you have other issues after the fix and oil change?

From what Ive read its a new to you machine, you don’t seem to know the history, it had a problem, you fixed it, and it was working?

If its at the shop just because of what you seen in the filter, Id go pick it back up 🤷‍♂️