HST fluid change with filters

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I have a problem with a leak on the front axle (4WD--photos below) that I have decided after watching a lot of YT videos I just do not feel comfortable doing by myself--as in no help lifting, holding in place while I try to seat snap rings, etc. Looks like could be a real task... Anyway dealer says it will cost me $480 for them to do it including changing the O-Ring on the axle and both seals, which seems reasonable.

While talking with him I asked for a quote on changing the UDT and two filters. He said total would be $450.00 including both filters and 11 or so gallons of fluid. Said materials would be $325.00 and labor $125.00. Seems quite fair to me as I don't have drain and haul off 11 gallons of fluid.

As I have not priced the fluid and filters does $325 seem about right for the UDT and filters? Or could I get it for cheaper than that and do it myself to save money?

EDIT: One more thing. I have seen discussions in the past on UDT and UDT2..which one do I want?

Attachments

Last edited:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My L4600 cost me about $250.00 for the SUDT2 and hydro filter to change it myself. It was easy to do however I also changed the air filters, fuel filter, engine oil, hydro oil, greased, front axle oil and washed and waxed. Total time was about 10 hours to do the above.

I pulled the tractor near the barn laid down some card board and went to work. I have a large plastic container I keep service stuff in, I marked the tools required with orange paint and left them in the container for next time.

I keep the old oil and mix it 1 to 1 with diesel fuel to treat bottoms of posts before I bury the to help extend the life.

I did carry some of the oil to local Advanced to recycle which is easy enough as it is on the way to work.

Final thought, doing it yourself if you have a place and time to do it allows you to really check over your tractor and gain some knowledge of it.

Jay

Reactions: 1 users

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Looked up both hydraulic filters and 11 1-gal containers of UDT2 at Messick's and it came in at $355.42

Filter 1: $46.63
Filter 2: $65.58
UDT2: 11x$22.11 or $243.21

Reactions: 1 user

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Duplicate post.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
If I remember right when changing one of the hydrolic filters the fluid starts syphoning out FAST...lol. It really cought me off guard. I don't remember if I was just changing the filters at the time and not draining and changing the fluid completely.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you have it in for the axle work anyway, I could see having them do the HST fluid change.....but it's not that big of a deal to do yourself.

$125 labor for that service is $125 in my pocket....baby needs new shoes...

Yes, there's 11 gallons of fluid to get rid of, but my local tire store lets me dump my stuff in their tanks at my will.

My little BX probably isn't a good comparison, but I can do both motor oil and hydraulic drain/fill in an hour, and that includes the screen BX's have....

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
My L4600 cost me about $250.00 for the SUDT2 and hydro filter to change it myself. It was easy to do however I also changed the air filters, fuel filter, engine oil, hydro oil, greased, front axle oil and washed and waxed. Total time was about 10 hours to do the above.
I pulled the tractor near the barn laid down some card board and went to work. I have a large plastic container I keep service stuff in, I marked the tools required with orange paint and left them in the container for next time.

I keep the old oil and mix it 1 to 1 with diesel fuel to treat bottoms of posts before I bury the to help extend the life.

I did carry some of the oil to local Advanced to recycle which is easy enough as it is on the way to work.

Final thought, doing it yourself if you have a place and time to do it allows you to really check over your tractor and gain some knowledge of it.

Jay

Great idea! As a cook, I use the concept of mise en place, “everything in its place“: All the tools needed, food components washed, chopped, measured in separate containers, oven pre heated, etc., ready to go.

Same for my tools and equipment. A complete set of the tools necessary for any given task should be kept with the vehicle/work space, and dedicated to that task.

I have a separate tool box for winter plowing, filled with shear pins, 6lb. mattock, punch, vice grips, chain connectors and tighteners, appropriate sockets and drivers, dry gloves and hand warmers, etc.

A summer box includes EZHitch washers, cotter pins, clevis pins, and a separate, dedicated collection of all necessary hand tools.

Plumbing, electrical, framing, paint and plaster, gardening, all have a complete equipment package that stays with the box. Everything is grab and go!

Overkill? OCD? Probably, until..... ⚙🛠

Reactions: 2 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Great idea! As a cook, I use the concept of mise en place, “everything in its place“: All the tools needed, food components washed, chopped, measured in separate containers, oven pre heated, etc., ready to go.

Same for my tools and equipment. A complete set of the tools necessary for any given task should be kept with the vehicle/work space, and dedicated to that task.

I have a separate tool box for winter plowing, filled with shear pins, 6lb. mattock, punch, vice grips, chain connectors and tighteners, appropriate sockets and drivers, dry gloves and hand warmers, etc.

A summer box includes EZHitch washers, cotter pins, clevis pins, and a separate, dedicated collection of all necessary hand tools.

Plumbing, electrical, framing, paint and plaster, gardening, all have a complete equipment package that stays with the box. Everything is grab and go!

Overkill? OCD? Probably, until..... ⚙🛠
Their prices are fair and you want the SUDT-2.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Buying eleven 1-gallon containers will cost more than buying two 5-gallon and one 1-gallon. (But if it were me, I’d buy two 5-gals and one 2.5 gal SUDT2 and thereby have some for top-off chores later for almost the same money.). Yes, you want SUDT2.

Drain the fluid BEFORE you unscrew the filters if you don’t want a mess. Tractor Supply and others sell No 2 washtubs (plastic Are even cheaper) to drain the fluid into. Afterwards, pour the used fluid back into the original containers thru a coffee or paint filter. Let it settle and use it in other projects to drop it off back at Kubota or WalMart. (Whoever sells oil retail are required in most states to accept equal amounts of used in return.)

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I was gonna say drain the fluids first then change filters. The price sounds reasonable to me also.
As an added note, my dealer only stocks the Super UDT 2 anymore, or that is what he told me anyway.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I was gonna say drain the fluids first then change filters. The price sounds reasonable to me also.
As an added note, my dealer only stocks the Super UDT 2 anymore, or that is what he told me anyway.
My dealer quoted $150 plus parts. I turned it down and just bought the supplies.
The thing that piqued me was the parts counter guys kept trying to sell me UDT when I was requesting SUDT or SUDT2. He kept trying to convince me my tractor should use UDT.... especially down here in Texas ....where the climate is perfect for UDT. (Neither of us certainly could not for-tell THIS week.) 😅

Since the tractor (a 1996 M4700) was new-to-me.... I figured he must know what he’s talking about so bought three 5-gal pails of UDT. Later-on, reading the Owner’s Manual...turns out it left the factory with SUDT and that is what is recommended both in the OM and the WSM. So I took the UDT back for exchange.
He was very insistent that I should keep the UDT and use that in my tractor...and I had to repeatedly tell him “I WANT SUDT2!”..... and only after several back-and-forths.... did he finally make the exchange with me.
It really puzzles me why a seller will argue with a customer when the customer...even after explaining their reasoning...and that reasoning agrees with the mfr’r..... clearly and purposefully states what they want!
I am likely to install 80W90 GL5 in the front axle when the 600 hr service occurs sometime next month.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
This coupon takes a few days to get via email.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I keep filling out the form.....and Kubota keeps replying ”Invalid information. Unable to match customer record.” Three times now.... I give up.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
When I change out all the oils and lubes on our tractor.... I catch it in three 5 gallon containers. I got my 5 gal. containers from a local breakfast/lunch as that is how they receive their cooking oil for the fryers. Finding a home for the used oil was easy. Through a friend of a friend I hooked up with a mechanics garage that heats with used oil.... so I cane mix the UDT, engine oil, and 90 wt. in a single container and they are good to go.

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Can you get a coupon per tractor?

I need to check the fine print I submitted for each of my botas but only received confirmation for one.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
If I remember right when changing one of the hydrolic filters the fluid starts syphoning out FAST...lol. It really cought me off guard. I don't remember if I was just changing the filters at the time and not draining and changing the fluid completely.
Nothing says "A-Hole" like correcting a grown mans spelling. However in my present role as father trying to make the word a better place I must say; Its spelt HYDRAULIC. Please forgive me I can't control it.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
So your being a A-hole ?? and correcting me on my spelling ??
And Thank God your not my father and I pity your kids And their mother.

69 SS

Equipment
2015 L3901 HST,with Canopy,LA 525 FEL with SSQA bucket
Sep 26, 2015
Ft. Inn sc
i filled out my coupon . Had to google it. Coupon is for UDT,plainly stated on coupon. If I am wrong ,someone please correct me. Has anyone used the coupon yet ? Close to 400 hrs on tractor time for HST fluid change. Will use coupon for whatever oil I can get. Would prefer the SUDT2 , but will use coupon for whatever I can get. Good luck on all your projects

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Nothing says "A-Hole" like correcting a grown mans spelling. However in my present role as father trying to make the word a better place I must say; Its spelt HYDRAULIC. Please forgive me I can't control it.
I think most everyone understood what WFM was saying.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
i filled out my coupon . Had to google it. Coupon is for UDT,plainly stated on coupon. If I am wrong ,someone please correct me. Has anyone used the coupon yet ? Close to 400 hrs on tractor time for HST fluid change. Will use coupon for whatever oil I can get. Would prefer the SUDT2 , but will use coupon for whatever I can get. Good luck on all your projects
1614090702785.png

Shows as UDT2 on my email. Pretty sure that is Super UDT2