How often do you change oil?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Every 100 hrs on liquid-cooled engines…every 25 hrs on air-cooled.

Edit: I have six liquid cooled engines and nine air-cooled.… didn’t realize/enumerate that until just now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
At 83yo., tractors & ZT mower oil gets changed,.....when I feel like it!
Cars,..... every 5,000 miles!

• Love

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Edit: I have six liquid cooled engines and nine air-cooled.… didn’t realize/enumerate that until just now.
Sounds like you have a lot of hour meters to keep track of!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sounds like you have a lot of hour meters to keep track of!
I put hour meters on everything I can…. but not all of my attempts are done intelligently. :rolleyes:
When I bought a Sears/Craftsman lawn-tractor…it was a ”Sale” item…and was bare bones…. so I immediately set-about to install an hour meter.

I went to NAPA and bought the common “HObbs” meter….$60 …:oops:. ….put terminals on it…and used a hole-saw to cut a hole in the side of the console for it…. Then when I lifted the hood to investigate where a convenient connection could be made…I saw two blade-terminals already equipped in the harness held by ty-wraps to the back of the instrument panel.

It was Then…that I realized… a “punch-out” panel on the cowling…. 1-inch by 1-1/2 inches….

YEP! Sears sells a little 1” X 1.5” rectangular hour-meter for this little machine…. simply knock-out the little panel…Snap-In the meter…and hook it up to the existing terminals.…. for $35. 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I drained and refilled the engine today, and tomorrow morning I will change the filter. Changing oil is a multi-day event in my life. It is tough to get old, but I am going for 100 and I am closing in on it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I drained and refilled the engine today, and tomorrow morning I will change the filter. Changing oil is a multi-day event in my life. It is tough to get old, but I am going for 100 and I am closing in on it.
I sure do hope that is a that is a top mounted filter! ;)

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
On my BX. every 50 hours, which is about a year. I only use it for misc. chores and yard mowing, which I only do about 10-12 times a year. Occasionally it gets used for snow removal if it's wet sloppy snow the JD blower doesn't like.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I sure do hope that is a that is a top mounted filter! ;)
Nope, down below. I went to the garage to get the filter and found an empty box. I guess that I forgot I used it and put the empty box back on the shelf to remind me to get another. That is the reason the box was upside down. I will get one in the morning, and once I swap it, my wife will help me get upright. I have no problem getting down, only getting up.
I decided a long time ago that I would keep doing as much as I can for as long as I can. The last few years have become more challenging, but I keep trying. While I am doing oil changes I will probably do the old car this week also.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nope, down below. I went to the garage to get the filter and found an empty box. I guess that I forgot I used it and put the empty box back on the shelf to remind me to get another. That is the reason the box was upside down. I will get one in the morning, and once I swap it, my wife will help me get upright. I have no problem getting down, only getting up.
I decided a long time ago that I would keep doing as much as I can for as long as I can. The last few years have become more challenging, but I keep trying. While I am doing oil changes I will probably do the old car this week also.
I have been known to do the upside box thing.
Now,..... I take the empty box and put it on the passenger seat, to remind me to get a replacement..... pronto!

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You are better organized than I am. I knew that I had seen more filters in the garage, but no red boxes.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think the regulars lean old. I suspect I'm a spring chicken, relatively speaking.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I wonder what's the average age of forum members?
Has me wondering!
I shall be interested to learn that.
I am virtually certain that I will be ....."above average".... in at least this one thing in my life. ;)

Last edited:
  • Love

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
At 83yo., tractors & ZT mower oil gets changed,.....when I feel like it!
Cars,..... every 5,000 miles!
Sounds about right! Don’t forget tire rotation!
My late dad bought a snowblower many years ago…it was a yellow one and I forget the make. That thing sat outside (under cover) for a good 30 years and I don’t think ANY maintenance was ever done on it. I always started right up on 2 pulls, did its job, then waited until it was needed again.
Nowadays, I use a general rule of once a year in the Spring for any outdoor equipment…my truck gets fresh oil and filter every 5000.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Sounds about right! Don’t forget tire rotation!
My late dad bought a snowblower many years ago…it was a yellow one and I forget the make. That thing sat outside (under cover) for a good 30 years and I don’t think ANY maintenance was ever done on it. I always started right up on 2 pulls, did its job, then waited until it was needed again.
Nowadays, I use a general rule of once a year in the Spring for any outdoor equipment…my truck gets fresh oil and filter every 5000.
That was before our government mandated the use of corn (ethanol) in the fuel. It was first tried in the 1920s and abandoned as a bad idea, and brought back in the 1980s as a way of helping the farmers. Corn is better used to feed animals that feed humans than as a gasoline supplement.