How mad should I be?

Mgrantorser

Equipment
b2301, la435
Jul 24, 2020
terrace bc
I just got a new b2301 with an la435, pallet forks, mmm, box blade and a blower. I didn't get an amazing deal at everyone's buying right now.

When I went to pick it up, the quick detach for the loader wasn't adjusted. It took them an hour and a half to successfully get it to drop the legs, and they bent a bolt in the process (which they say they'll replace). I got it home, used it for a few hours, and have realized it is missing 2 bolts holding the 3pt on. I emailed to ask if they're supposed to be there, they Said yes, and that they'd mail them to me (I live 2+ hours away).

Im livid. When the loader was misadjusted, they explained its the first 435 they've done, which sorta made sense. There doesn't seem to be a reasonable explanation for this.

My first question is, do you think I could have damaged the machine? I've only been using the loaded thus far. Should I just return it?

If I keep it, what would you guys be asking for from the dealer? Keeping in mind that the closest other dealership is 10+hrs away.

Thanks guys,

Mike.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
How mad can you get? Unless you want to drive 10+ hours to the next dealer. I would try the carrot before the stick. Wait until you are calmed down and talk to them. He will be more inclined to help you if you are polite. Notice I did not say be a wimp but instead be calm and polite. Remember you are going to need him for the next several years for service. Perhaps you can by the parts on line if you can do your own work.

I do not think he is under any obligation to take it back. I know it not being right being new is madding but you bought the tractor because you needed it. Besides he is sending you the parts you need to fix the problems.

I am sure you must have grown some patience living up there.

Enjoy the tractor.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
People don't seem to care. I feel your pain and frustration. You have every right to be mad and to show it the way I see it. I feel like that is the only thing now that makes anyone take you seriously. I have given my dealer the benefit of the doubt, but they've made several mistakes on my tractor. The zinger was finding out last week they never put gear oil in the front axle. In retrospect, I should have been madder than what I was when I stopped in to tell them. So, I am quite in your court on you totally losing it with them.

Perhaps like you, my mistake is I thought since I was buying a new Kubota tractor, the utmost professional care would be included with the tractor. In retrospect, I have apparently had morons prepping the tractor. (Tip: Check your fluids now.)

I have a feeling your tractor is fine and no harm was done, but you have to wonder what other mistakes they have made that you have not found yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Mgrantorser

Equipment
b2301, la435
Jul 24, 2020
terrace bc
Having calmed down a bit, I think I'm going to say I want someone to go through the machine carefully, torque all the bolts etc, an extended warranty at no cost, and a free tooth bar for the head ache (something I was thinking of buying). That or a refund and I'll drive the 11 hours.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Definitely missing 2 silver colored bolts holding ROPS/ 3 point. Dealer must have to put bottom ROPS portion on during prep ??

I would check all fluids, bolt torques and tire pressure for sure.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I just got a new b2301 with an la435, pallet forks, mmm, box blade and a blower. I didn't get an amazing deal at everyone's buying right now.

When I went to pick it up, the quick detach for the loader wasn't adjusted. It took them an hour and a half to successfully get it to drop the legs, and they bent a bolt in the process (which they say they'll replace). I got it home, used it for a few hours, and have realized it is missing 2 bolts holding the 3pt on. I emailed to ask if they're supposed to be there, they Said yes, and that they'd mail them to me (I live 2+ hours away).

Im livid. When the loader was misadjusted, they explained its the first 435 they've done, which sorta made sense. There doesn't seem to be a reasonable explanation for this.

My first question is, do you think I could have damaged the machine? I've only been using the loaded thus far. Should I just return it?

If I keep it, what would you guys be asking for from the dealer? Keeping in mind that the closest other dealership is 10+hrs away.

Thanks guys,

Mike.
FELS, and other dealer installed accessories are shipped with installation instructions.

What do you think that most dealers do with such instructions...?

SDT

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Having calmed down a bit, I think I'm going to say I want someone to go through the machine carefully, torque all the bolts etc, an extended warranty at no cost, and a free tooth bar for the head ache (something I was thinking of buying). That or a refund and I'll drive the 11 hours.
From a neutral point of view, so take it as you will:

Things happen. Is the dealer making it right by completing the job? Not saying it’s cool that it wasn’t right the first time...

I think it would be appropriate to give the dealer an option to replace the machine or to acknowledge, in writing, that the 3PH wasn’t properly assembled correctly and that any potential issues that may arise directly related to that would be covered for an appropriate period of time.

That’s it. You are Not entitled to an extended warranty to cover the entire machine. Nor are you entitled to a free Tooth Bar.
Give the dealer the opportunity to fix the issue before you go slamming your fist on the counter.

I am not in the tractor business, but I do have customers that I sell to in my construction profession. I’ve had mistakes that are in line with what you’re dealing with, meaning incorrectly installed items or improperly adjusted components. I deal with them on a case by case basis. The items that were not put in correctly are either corrected or replaced at my discretion, knowing that it is not worth future hassles to try to “Band-Aid” something together, as future warranty work is expensive. I’d rather make it right up front and be done.
I’ve had customers in the past that have demanded any range of free items or additional discounts after we’ve done everything to ensure that their new system is in correct working order and still fully covered. I’ve also come to accept that some people cannot be pleased by fair treatment and that not every single person will remain a customer. If I’m confident that I’ve done what I can do to FAIRLY address and correct the issue, I’m OK with the customer making the choice that they feel is correct. I can’t control how they react...

Again, neutral point of view here. Just keep in mind that the dealer is human and will likely work with you a lot more in your favor if you go in with an open mind and a cool head. If you can’t do anything beyond laying down an ultimatum, I hope you enjoy your drive!

Reactions: 4 users

Mgrantorser

Equipment
b2301, la435
Jul 24, 2020
terrace bc
From a neutral point of view, so take it as you will:

Things happen. Is the dealer making it right by completing the job? Not saying it’s cool that it wasn’t right the first time...

I think it would be appropriate to give the dealer an option to replace the machine or to acknowledge, in writing, that the 3PH wasn’t properly assembled correctly and that any potential issues that may arise directly related to that would be covered for an appropriate period of time.

That’s it. You are Not entitled to an extended warranty to cover the entire machine. Nor are you entitled to a free Tooth Bar.
Give the dealer the opportunity to fix the issue before you go slamming your fist on the counter.

I am not in the tractor business, but I do have customers that I sell to in my construction profession. I’ve had mistakes that are in line with what you’re dealing with, meaning incorrectly installed items or improperly adjusted components. I deal with them on a case by case basis. The items that were not put in correctly are either corrected or replaced at my discretion, knowing that it is not worth future hassles to try to “Band-Aid” something together, as future warranty work is expensive. I’d rather make it right up front and be done.
I’ve had customers in the past that have demanded any range of free items or additional discounts after we’ve done everything to ensure that their new system is in correct working order and still fully covered. I’ve also come to accept that some people cannot be pleased by fair treatment and that not every single person will remain a customer. If I’m confident that I’ve done what I can do to FAIRLY address and correct the issue, I’m OK with the customer making the choice that they feel is correct. I can’t control how they react...

Again, neutral point of view here. Just keep in mind that the dealer is human and will likely work with you a lot more in your favor if you go in with an open mind and a cool head. If you can’t do anything beyond laying down an ultimatum, I hope you enjoy your drive!

Good perspective, I think my wanting the extended warranty comes from 2 separate components being improperly installed on my new equipment. I just don't trust that there isn't a third, does that make sense? As to some free accessory, the pain in my ass has a financial value. The hours of my time should have a dollar sign, but I'm not welded to the idea.

kkk

Banned

Equipment
rtv900 /u15 ex/WP 955/woodmizer LT15
Apr 10, 2020
OreGun, BLM
Check every nut bolt and screw.
Wheels first ..then all loader mounts.
You need to get to know your machine......probly did not envision this but in the end you will feel better and gain knowledge.
With places like this and getting your WSM you will be set.

Think of this as education vs wasting energy with the dealer......refocus that anger and get your machine top notch yourself.
Obviously a warenty issue is different .....dealer set up of mowers and loaders is sub par in places......some dealers put the green guys on it I'm sure.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
When I took delivery of mine, there were a few items that needed corrected, and most of them were easier to deal with myself than hassle with sending it back.
However, there were a few items that I wouldn’t take on. Such as the dealer-installed hose routing for the grapple. The hose routing allowed the hoses to get pinched between the loader arm and the tilt cylinder. I zip-tied it so I could use it, but let them know it would need to be fixed when convenient for me. Same with the unrestrained hose routing from the 3rd function valve. These lines could get hung on the top of the loader frame, which would really stretch and kink the lines when I dropped the loader to the ground. Same deal, I zip tied it safely and added to the list. Loader hydraulic hard lines were installed, from factory, in such a poor manner that they stuck out past the right side of the arm. I looked at several others, and mine was definitely wrong. Added to list.

Once the list quit growing, which took about 3 weeks, I called for the repairs. They made an appointment to come pick it up, called me when done so I could inspect, and dropped it back off the next day. Since then, I’ve only had one tiny hydraulic leak. Oddly enough, that was just two hours ago! Rather than calling, I grabbed my 17mm end wrench and snugged the hose end up. She just worked loose a touch...

I guess my only other question is have you asked the dealer to come get the machine and fix it, rather than put yourself out by transporting? I’m close to an hour from my dealer and they didn’t even bat an eye when I suggested that they come pick it up... I hope everything ends well for you! Don’t panic.

Mgrantorser

Equipment
b2301, la435
Jul 24, 2020
terrace bc
Thanks everyone. Since posting I've also noticed the steering wheel is on backwards (unimportant, but seriously, was the guy who put it together drunk?), and the quick connect for the loader continues to leak. I called the main location for my dealership (I bought at a satelite location) and the owner is going to call Monday to figure out how to sort this out. Thanks for your thoughts, though I'm surprised so many of you have received improperly assembled tractors.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I bought a L6060 this spring. After using it several hours most with the fel notice there was four bolt holes on each of the loader bottom rear mounts but only three bolts. Sent text to the sales person who family owns the dealership asking and in little bit got text back there was suppose to be four bolts and not three in there. I stopped by dealership and got the bolts and installed them myself. They were black bolts while the others were silver, so ever time I look at those mounts it reminds me they were wrong. This past Friday I dropped by to see him but also to ask questions on the rear remotes. I could have made it an issue on the missing bolts but the relationship I have with them is worth much more.

Mgrantorser

Equipment
b2301, la435
Jul 24, 2020
terrace bc
Hahaha. I think what I'm hearing is suck it up, life happens, which I hear. I am going to talk to the boss though as I want someone with experience to go over the machine. I know enough to do maintenance, but checking to make sure they put it all together correctly is outside of my skillset, and not something I have time to learn at present. It's unfortunate that customer service has gone to a place where everyone accepts that a half assed job on a major purchase is nbd, but that's the world we live in. Thanks for the input everyone.

kkk

Banned

Equipment
rtv900 /u15 ex/WP 955/woodmizer LT15
Apr 10, 2020
OreGun, BLM
Sounds like your on the correct path ........Knowing your machine better than the guy that shows up will speak for itself.
Afterall.....this is your ride....The more you know..the more you knowbetter than them.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
I bought a L6060 this spring. After using it several hours most with the fel notice there was four bolt holes on each of the loader bottom rear mounts but only three bolts. Sent text to the sales person who family owns the dealership asking and in little bit got text back there was suppose to be four bolts and not three in there. I stopped by dealership and got the bolts and installed them myself. They were black bolts while the others were silver, so ever time I look at those mounts it reminds me they were wrong. This past Friday I dropped by to see him but also to ask questions on the rear remotes. I could have made it an issue on the missing bolts but the relationship I have with them is worth much more.
Actually 3 bolts is correct your sales person was incorrect

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Problem in the tractor business is that every kid wants a university degree, not many want to work in a tractor shop. Getting good staff is really hard these days. I'd like to think every shop has a senior guy check the machine through before they deliver it, but ultimately they're a business and they're limited in how much time they can put in. Sooner or later you have to trust the apprentice, and sometimes they get things wrong. Running a zero defect process is expensive - look at the space shuttle, and even then they still got things wrong.

Having said that, if you read the manual it'll tell you that you need to check every bolt and torque it on a regular basis. Can't recall if that's every 50 hours or some other interval, but I definitely recall they want you to do it with the 50 hour service because new things work loose. In principle sooner or later you're going to need to learn every bolt and what it does, and check the level of every fluid - may as well do it now. A lot of guys would say you shouldn't take delivery of a machine without checking all the fluids and every attachment and fitting. I often wonder whether the dealer would prep it differently if you told them you're checking everything when you take delivery, and it's coming back to them if any of it is wrong.

Perhaps an appropriate ask from the dealer would be a workshop manual so that you can work through every fitting and check it. They're not cheap and sometimes hard to get hold of (although I think the PDF version is easily available online nowadays), and seems very appropriate to the problem that you have.

If there are issues that require them to come and do some work, then another appropriate ask would be send a senior guy out, and have him give it a quick once over to make sure whoever assembled it got things right.

Reactions: 2 users

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
These things happen.

the approach outlined above about using the machine if possible for a few weeks while making a list of items to correct and Band aid-ing items is a good one. Then get your dealer to come pick up and fix these items.

also, get used to that 1 lever quick coupler Leaking. Don’t blame your dealer. Kubota needs to get it right on that.

can you take a picture of how your steering wheel is on backwards? I don’t even understand how that’s possible.

greg

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
There is no right way on steering wheel. With hydrostatic steering, the steering wheel constantly changes position over time so it isn’t always going to have the emblem in the correct position when the wheel is centered

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Don't hold your breath on a free anything.. I would tell them you would really appreciate it if there service truck would drive up there and install them and tell them your not comfortable being your not a mechanic and it could cause warranty issues later on if not done properly.

my new kubota bx23s had issues.. had no oil in the front dif.. and the loader legs for when you take it off were not aligned right and I had fix that myself.. my l2501 had grease zerts not greased.. and my 3 point tilt valve leaks down with no attachment hooked up.

Being I'm a mechanic I would rather fix things myself and went over both tractors with a fine tooth comb just to get to know it better and make sure everything was right.. as they say knolage is power and its best to know your equipment being the warranty only goes so far especially since your 2 hours away from the dealer and you should become comfortable checking everything..

Kinda like driving across the country not knowing how to change a tire..

Just my 2 cents..