How do I check out a used tractor for any liens and if stolen.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
If it is paid off it seems like Kubota would have sent him final paperwork that the loan has been paid in full. When I have paid things off, weather earlier or not, I have ALWAYS asked for official paperwork stating it is paid in full and the account is closed. He may have the paperwork and that should help.
No way I would buy I with out full loan paid paperwork.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Because someone request cash for a purchase does not mean they do not have a bank account or have clear title to item!!!
I require only cash when i sell stuff private sale. Im legit and have bank accounts etc. Any form of payment besides cash can be scammed in some way. Like Credit card payment, bank check etc.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I went to https://ucc.ohiosos.gov/ and found where he got the Kubota loan.

The loan was terminated on 05/15/2021.
If he paid off the loan just over a month ago, it's likely he doesn't have the payoff paperwork from Kubota Credit yet. It took mine something like 2-3 months to arrive. There's an older thread here about exactly that.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I require only cash when i sell stuff private sale. Im legit and have bank accounts etc. Any form of payment besides cash can be scammed in some way. Like Credit card payment, bank check etc.
Yes, when I sold a tractor for 6K in cash I asked the buyer if I could take some pictures (after he had it on his trailer). I wasn't so interested in pictures of the tractor, but of his license plate and his truck! I asked if he needed gas before he got back on the highway, and told him where the closest place was. He told me his route and where he'd stop for fuel. I immediately went to the bank to confirm the bills were legit. I was just covering bases if I needed to send law after him.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I don’t know the answer to wether they would tell you or not, but you might try calling Kubota Credit Corporation and see if they will run the serial number through their system to see if it still has an outstanding lien on it.
Kubota credit will not give you any information. In fact, when I called to ask about my tractor, they said no immediately, and then hung up on me.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Because someone request cash for a purchase does not mean they do not have a bank account or have clear title to item!!!
When someone asks for cash for a substantial $$$ purchase, you never know exactly why. I wouldn't ever consider bringing a large sum of money to someone that I don't know, because they might just be setting you up to rob you. My comments were cautionary advise to the person that asked the question. If you feel ok with handing over thousands of dollars in cash to someone you don't know, that is fine with me, but I wouldn't ever advise someone to possibly put themselves in harms way with a pocket of cash with a stranger....

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Yes, when I sold a tractor for 6K in cash I asked the buyer if I could take some pictures (after he had it on his trailer). I wasn't so interested in pictures of the tractor, but of his license plate and his truck! I asked if he needed gas before he got back on the highway, and told him where the closest place was. He told me his route and where he'd stop for fuel. I immediately went to the bank to confirm the bills were legit. I was just covering bases if I needed to send law after him.
In 2012 I bought a new L3200 and built a cab for it. After about 6 years it was replaced by an older L4240. Two things relate to discussions in this thread. First of all, I had the buyer bring cash and gave him a bill of sale we both signed. It stated the known condition, that it was free ad clear and that the tractor was sold "as-is". We took 185 $100 bills into my bank and had the cashier count and deposit it right then and there.

With regard of a couple earlier posts - The age of a machine (in years or hours) doesn't need to affect the appearance or mechanical condition of a machine. A bigger factor is how it was cared for and maintained. Below are examples. The L3200 was about 6 years and 550 hours old when it posed with the new-to-me L4240 that was probably built early in the 2007-2013 Series 40 production , with just under 1,000 hours on it when I bought it. It did take almost a year of looking to find a nice Pre-DPF cabbed tractor, but they are out there.

Attachments