Homemade potatoe planter

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some help or guidance in making a small potatoe planters. Single row planter to attach to 3 PT linkage .I can't seem to find a simple design that I can copy. Anyone point me in the right direction or have photos of a simple one they have or made in the past?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

Are you referring to the type with a hopper or something simpler?

I currently use a tiller, then a create a furrow, then plant by hand, then hill with a bedder. All except the planting I do with an implement. (I dig with the potato plow)

If simply wanting to speed up the planting, but not require a hopper, the item at link below sort of combines all those steps. Beyond that I am only aware of the hopper style. So I am not sure this helps or not?

What’s in the link would be fairly simple to add on to a middle buster/potato plow and or a hiller/bedder (if you already have) IMO. (You’d need pretty long arms and remote controls do do by yourself with that implement though 😂)

if you come up with a concept please share a pic back. I am interested myself.
🥃

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Potato…..Potatoes….. Tomato…tomatoes…. azzho….asshoes…. (plenty of ‘em around)… 🤣

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
While I love home grown spuds, NOT worth planting due to the spud bugs ! Would need to hire someone ,full time and have THREE different chemicals to TRY to reduce the spud bugs.
Instead I get 10-12 bushels from up the road. Ones left in the field as being too small, too big or the two east rows. Yes, I have permission. Trick is to get them right after he harvests as he could be back next morning or a week from then, depending on his schedule and of course Mother Nature.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Good day.

Are you referring to the type with a hopper or something simpler?

I currently use a tiller, then a create a furrow, then plant by hand, then hill with a bedder. All except the planting I do with an implement. (I dig with the potato plow)

If simply wanting to speed up the planting, but not require a hopper, the item at link below sort of combines all those steps. Beyond that I am only aware of the hopper style. So I am not sure this helps or not?

What’s in the link would be fairly simple to add on to a middle buster/potato plow and or a hiller/bedder (if you already have) IMO. (You’d need pretty long arms and remote controls do do by yourself with that implement though 😂)

if you come up with a concept please share a pic back. I am interested myself.
🥃
Yeah maybe something with a hopper. This year i made a very crude plough with ridger and a wheel that delivered a spud every 12" loaded by hand but the wheel didn't rotate consistently for me so had to drop by hand.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Yeah maybe something with a hopper. This year i made a very crude plough with ridger and a wheel that delivered a spud every 12" loaded by hand but the wheel didn't rotate consistently for me so had to drop by hand.
Well then i am sorry and of no help to your question…I don’t have any simple idea on cheap hopper set up…I’ve seen implements with a hopper but I think for what I plant the dropping to the seed potato into the furrow is quicker easier than cleaning a hopper. Until I come to a volume where I think set up and loading of a hopper, and cleaning afterwards makes sense, I’ll continue on with my dad’s low cost labor strategy (me planting by hand for no wage)😂 good luck but share some pics what you come up with. 🥃

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
you've got yourself a good base all you need to do is ad a motor, hydraulic or electric to the planting wheel and a hopper.
Or drive the planting wheel off the planter tires?

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
This is the best design and engineered model I have found if I were in the market for a truck garden size implement..

This is one of the best ..on the cheap.. homemade versions I have found for a large family, multi family use..

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
This is the best design and engineered model I have found if I were in the market for a truck garden size implement..

This is one of the best ..on the cheap.. homemade versions I have found for a large family, multi family use..
Yeah thanks Tim ..that Gemini one looks perfect. A bit of making in it but I might give it a go.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
you've got yourself a good base all you need to do is ad a motor, hydraulic or electric to the planting wheel and a hopper.
Or drive the planting wheel off the planter tires?
Yeah it's ok but I want to be self-sufficient rather than roping in someone. Think Im going to call to my local motor bike repair shop and pick up some old chains and gears see how it comes together with hopper and chain...i might then strip down my existing unit and see can I blend the 2