Homemade Backhoe Bucket

85Hokie

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
11,143
3,087
113
Bedford - VA
Lenny,

I'll take one for my BX25 - I'll drive down and buy you lunch and pick it up!!!!! (you are only 200 miles from me!)

Ok - kidding, very nice work!!! You gonna put teeth on it?
 

Lenny

Member
Oct 11, 2015
35
0
6
Newton,NC,US
85 Hokie , I have looked for a decent set that were priced right but they would cost me as much or more than what I have invested in the bucket! I have some small pieces of 1/2 in left from the fab job that I am thinking about welding on to the cutting edge. For what I will most likely be using be using it for that should work okay and if they wear to fast I'll cut and weld some more ! Thinking one on either side with one in the middle.
 

Calman93611

Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100 w/FEL & BH, Kubota B7100 w/FEL and box scraper, Kubota K008,
Mar 8, 2015
31
0
6
Clovis, CA
Wow Lenny, that is a fantastic job. How long did it take you to make the bucket and what equipment did you use???? i.e. plasma cutter, lathe, etc
 

MadMax31

Member

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
763
8
18
New York
Did you line-bore the mounts? I fixed a few buckets a few years ago and after hard-facing they had to be line-bored to be re-attached.
 

Lenny

Member
Oct 11, 2015
35
0
6
Newton,NC,US
Wish I had a plasma cutter it would have been a lot easier. The company that I purchased the steel from sheared everything to the correct width so I needed to cut the lengths. The profile of the sides were cut with a sawsall. After welding the heel or back of the bucket in place I started with the bottom rear of the bucket and kept working it with clamps as I welded it all the way to the cutting edge end. The mounting tabs were bored out by a friend of mine as well as the bushings. It is not commercial grade but should work well for me and if there are any failures I'll deal with them as they pop up.

1/2" - 3/8" - 1/4" plate for the heel, cutting edge, mounting flanges and the side edging of the bucket. 11 gauge for the bucket itself.
 

bcbull378

Member

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
579
32
18
Ventura Ca
Your a talented man very nice work sir.