High Use or Professional Chainsaws

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I've used a couple of Husqvarna pro saws and really like them. I think they or the pro Echos match up with Stihl. I was under the impression OP didn't have Husky or Echo support nearby. Big box store doesn't count. We've got to keep him out of those!
OP here. It's true. Husky support is 100 miles away and Echo is about 75 miles away/ I have Stihl support in my local town, the closest town, 15 miles away. I'm pretty remote and deep woods rural. Home Depot service is, well, respectfully, a comedy. Husky Service/sales is a 2 hour drive. With the price of gas and my F250 getting 12 mpg on a good flat road...

You got the idea.

It's Stihl or Box Store Echo for me.

Been a Stihl guy for a couple decades. Just wanted to see what I might be missing.

Edit: I'm pretty sold on the Stihl MS 500 I with a 28" bar...

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
OP here. It's true. Husky support is 100 miles away and Echo is about 75 miles away/ I have Stihl support in my local town, the closest town, 15 miles away. I'm pretty remote and deep woods rural. Home Depot service is, well, respectfully, a comedy. Husky Service/sales is a 2 hour drive. With the price of gas and my F250 getting 12 mpg on a good flat road...

You got the idea.

Been a Stihl guy for a couple decades. Just wanted to see what I might be missing.
Do you do your own service? A pro saw will be much easier to tear into and repair.
Here’s a Husky 272k and a 257 I rebuilt at work.
1B907C98-4152-4247-947F-B2727EB60A05.jpeg

5173FEF5-DDA0-4BD9-8C19-D27C2E4C3686.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

You got the idea.

Edit: I'm pretty sold on the Stihl MS 500 I with a 28" bar...
Just be aware that the Echo CS590 'Timber Wolf' at Lowe's that edritchey mentioned in post #4 is more a farm and ranch model. The CS-620P is a 60cc pro model.

That 500i looks like a boss! And fairly light. What does it go for, I'm sitting down.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Do you do your own service? A pro saw will be much easier to tear into and repair.
Here’s a Husky 272k and a 257 I rebuilt at work.
View attachment 83828
View attachment 83830
Yes, I do my own maintenance and service on my equipment. Cars, trucks, tractors, ATVs, chainsaws, string trimmers, etc.

But I still need to have close access for parts as needed.

Ordering parts online can be a problem for me because of my rural location. Many times I get a note in my mailbox that says your "Amazon, UPS, FEDEX delivery is available at your local Post Office."
Which is 15 or so miles away.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Yes, I do my own maintenance and service on my equipment. Cars, trucks, tractors, ATVs, chainsaws, string trimmers, etc.

But I still need to have close access for parts as needed.

Ordering parts online can be a problem for me because of my rural location. Many times I get a note in my mailbox that says your "Amazon, UPS, FEDEX delivery is available at your local Post Office."
Which is 15 or so miles away.
Gotcha. Didn’t know if maintenance was a deciding factor.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My job is sawmiling so I regularly depend upon my chainsaw. For a dependable easy sarting workhorse, my recomndation is to stay with the "Pro" line of saws rather than the "farm" line. I run a Stihl MS 362 which is a 59cc saw. If I was considering a 50cc saw it would be an MS 261

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
I've got a Husky 455 Rancher. Haven't met a tree it can't handle yet. Sure, all pine variations, but still some big trees. Do a lot of volunteer/donated firewood too (yard currently has approx 90 cords in various stages of drying.)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I bought a new stihl 20 inch bar for bigger stuff,, I aint impressed,, it is one of the cold bloodest POS I ever owned, I dont even think it would make a good boat anchor,, and yep it has been worked on half a dozen times, I leave it it in the garage , maybe somebody might take it .....I grab my old husky with an 18 inch bar with a good sharp chain I have found to much of anything,,, with in my limitations,,, I have not been able to take down.. But ya pays your money and takes your chances
If you had bought that saw at Andrews Sales and Equipment in Ligonier, PA they would have made sure it worked satisfactorily . That place is great. They do a good business repairing chain saws. Lots of experience. Maybe they can sort your issue. I am a regular customer.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I Googled Stihl ms462 (the beast) and the advertised prices are in the $1,300 to $1,400 range. I paid $1,019 with a 25" bar and chain in May of 2020. I think the prices might be somewhat negotiable. Explaining you plan on being a regular customer might help. I have since bought a Stihl pole saw, oil, and many chains from my dealer. I usually also have a couple of chains there waiting to be sharpened. Chainsaws. Fun, loud, dangerous and legal. A true bastion of manliness.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Just be aware that the Echo CS590 'Timber Wolf' at Lowe's that edritchey mentioned in post #4 is more a farm and ranch model. The CS-620P is a 60cc pro model.

That 500i looks like a boss! And fairly light. What does it go for, I'm sitting down.
I hope that when you read this, that your still sitting down.
I called a Stihl dealer and he said it's out of stock and wouldn't quote me over the phone.
I've seen them advertised online for about $2,000 US dollars.
It's like buying a motorcycle.

What the wife doesn't know won't hurt her.

Seriously, I can't pull off what I want. The Stihl MS500 I. I really don't need it, but I want it.

I'll probably settle for a MS362. About $900 US. Which is a Pro saw and not a slouch.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
You will be making a good decision. Mine is a non-CM because I was avoiding a chainsaw with a chip. Just me because simpler is better. Get your dealer to explain both before you make your decision.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You play, you pay. I don't play that hard either. I'd 'settle' for a 362! People seem to like the electronic, and electronics have become more reliable, but I'd want to make sure the dealer keeps parts in stock and what they cost. Also, electronic parts seem to become obsolete sooner as newer 'replacements' come out. I wonder if they're included in the current chip shortage?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
You play, you pay. I don't play that hard either. I'd 'settle' for a 362! People seem to like the electronic, and electronics have become more reliable, but I'd want to make sure the dealer keeps parts in stock and what they cost. Also, electronic parts seem to become obsolete sooner as newer 'replacements' come out. I wonder if they're included in the current chip shortage?
On the saw forums I frequent, I haven't read of any shortages. I know Stihl has updated the module, first it was white, now it is black, I think, might have it backwards. Seems to be good reviews out of the newer module, the first generation, like anything, had its problems.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I've got a Husky 455 Rancher. Haven't met a tree it can't handle yet. Sure, all pine variations, but still some big trees. Do a lot of volunteer/donated firewood too (yard currently has approx 90 cords in various stages of drying.)
Have 2 Husky's 455 & 460. Never any issues.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I am not bashing the 500, but I believe it is ‘intelligent’. Don’t get me wrong, I hug ever tree before I cut it down 😉 and I also plant more than I cut each year…but I wonder what is the real benefit of FI on something that operates in a dirty/oily/dusty/wet environment…is that better for a FI module longevity? seems like an individual can monkey with the carb should it come to that, but how you tinker with a black box on a saw? If you notice the carb models have been brought back with stihl since they originally started canceling them on the pro saws. I would not have one with NAvi or voice command either though. The carbureted models are much less unavailable (higher demand I suspect).
I go between 8000 and 9000 ft regularly. The FI is so much better than a saw I have to fine tune each time I make the trip. Time will tell how long it lasts, but so far for my high altitude use it is great.

I did have some issues with my 241 (etronic) for awhile. Had a service done and it has been fine since. probably a fuel solenoid.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not a pro and not expert. That being said I wonder the black box components is shock (as in a dropped or banged hard) and waterproof….I’ve not seen any sort of an IP rating on the waterproofness…anyway I am very familiar with FI and their benefit. I guess with E-FI there is a current and some other components I’d be worried about too. If they are as durable from ‘oops’ situations they should be fine. I wonder what they use in hot saw competition?🤔. I think if for changing significant elevations it would be helpful until no workee…too cold, too wet whatever. Maybe it will be fine…I don’t really know. But then I would wonder why not start the tech on the biggest saws that the real pro loggers use would rather than in the general consumer who most likely uses a few times a year? For the $$ charge of the 500 you could also have two saws…one at your normal elevation and one for your 8-9k and then you have a backup too. All kind of options at 2000 buy in price. Pay to play.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Have 2 Husky's 455 & 460. Never any issues.
I'd love to try a Husky. I'm sure they make quality chainsaws. But the distance to a Husky dealer for purchase and parts is too far as I recently realized.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I'd love to try a Husky. I'm sure they make quality chainsaws. But the distance to a Husky dealer for purchase and parts is too far as I recently realized.
Parts, you can get online. But yeah i hear ya.
Bought mine at a tractor shop. Not as expensive as the Stihl but i am not profesional tree guy. I do cut trees a lot though. Today as matter fact. Woods next to pond after syorms a lot of downed limbs. We burn wood too. Bought the Rancher 455 8 years ago. No issues other than bars and chains. 460 is a beast for me. Came with 20 inch bar. Cuts anything i need.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
If you're still looking for opinions, here's mine. I have a significant investment in Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo saws. Outside of Echo, don't even consider the consumer models, some of which you have listed. There's just not a big enough cost difference to account for the lesser quality (and heavier units).

For what you're describing you can go with any of the brands:
1. Stihl MS261cm. Great saw for a 18/20" bar. Around $600. Don't even consider those other 271/291/390. Wouldn't even consider a 362C-M with a 400C being available, and at any rate Stihl would be my last choice in saws today.
2. Echo CS501P/CS590. The 501p is a 50-CC pro saw, great cutter almost like the MS261C-M. Echo uses old school tech so no computers. I'm happiest with my Echo equipment (501p/590/7310p). The saw I use the most is an Echo CS352 with a 16" bar, bought on clearance from HD. If you're buying Echo look on sawsuppliers.com. HD also carries the CS4910 ($279) which is the non-pro 501p, and I'd recommend that one as well.
3. Husqvarna is another great brand. I have a pair of 545XP/MK2 saw running 18/20" bars. Great saws with Autotune very strong runners and cutters. HLSupply is a great place to buy Husky equipment online.

So, in order of brands I'll go 1. Echo, 2. Husqvarna, and 3. Stihl