High Use or Professional Chainsaws

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I have the same saw. Worked the living snot out of it for days on end during cleanup after 2 tornados came through the area. Trees were mature mixed oak varieties.

I nicknamed it old faithful. Top it up with gas and chain oil. In about 3 cranks, it's running. Won't quit till its out of fuel.

Had 2 Stihl saws, an echo, poulon and a craftsman saw running around me. The craftsman was dead after a couple tanks of gas and wouldn't start the rest of the day. The poulan wouldn't start after the first tank of gas. Both stihls and the echo were dead by noon and wouldn't start the rest of the day.

My 455 started every time. And the only time it got shut off was when it ran out of fuel. Then it got sharpened, topped up with gas and oil, bar sprocket greased and was back at it.

One stihl that was brought along wouldn't start at all. If you choose to go with a stihl, stay away from the easy start models. Pull the cord, release it. Then it cranks over. Everyone I've seen over the years has always been extremely finicky.
Thats a poor assessment for reliability, even if quite the testament for how you maintain your equipment.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thats a poor assessment for reliability, even if quite the testament for how you maintain your equipment.
As far as reliability. I figure that was a pretty fair assessment. Nothing like pulling them out and see how they handle a marathon week long cutting frenzy in high 80's to low 90's degree temperatures to see how they hold up. 3 of those saws that couldn't keep up were brand spanking new out of the box. 😉😉😉😉😉😉

As far as maintenance goes on my 455. There hasn't been any other then sharpening the chain and replacement of worn out bars and chains. The only thing I've done to the engine was add fuel and oil.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Agreed. Perhaps an accurate 'accounting' of what happened that day. But a rather broad indictment on saw brands and an unfair assessment with respect to reliability IMO.

We don't know the fuel mix for each saw, if any had ever been 'tuned' for altitude and broken in.....etc.

I have 8 different saws of different makes and ALL of them will start easily and run until out of fuel and then start back up. But I keep them well maintained and adjusted for atmospheric conditions.

Lots of folks run a saw too lean. Some newer saws come that way right from the factory in order to comply with ridiculous EPA requirements. They get hot and won't start again later. Average 'Joe' doesn't how to tune a saw *In the wood* and just runs it 'as is'. Carbureted (non smart saws) need to be properly tuned and need a correct fuel mix.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
They get hot and won't start again later. Average 'Joe' doesn't how to tune a saw *In the wood* and just runs it 'as is'. Carbureted (non smart saws) need to be properly tuned and need a correct fuel mix.
You kind of assessed the situation yourself there. If the saw wont start after it gets hot, straight out of the box.... well that's an issue in my book. 😉😉😉😉 That's not acceptable to spend hard earned money on something and then have it leave you hanging for the rest of the day because it won't start after a tank full of gas??????

That's says a lot about the quality of the equipment right there. 😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
You kind of assessed the situation yourself there. If the saw wont start after it gets hot, straight out of the box.... well that's an issue in my book. 😉😉😉😉 That's not acceptable to spend hard earned money on something and then have it leave you hanging for the rest of the day because it won't start after a tank full of gas??????

That's says a lot about the quality of the equipment right there. 😉😉😉😉😉😉😉
Take your Husky, lean out the carb....run a tank and then see if it will start. The manufacturer can only provide a saw that 'should' start and run acceptably in a 'window' of conditions. They have no control over whether the end user mixed the fuel properly, has fuel that is fresh and not contaminated, etc....

Also, IF you bought a saw from a 'dealer' they should start the saw and tune it for the conditions at hand (altitude and temp) before giving it to the consumer. IF you buy a saw from a Big Box store then you get what you get...and it is YOUR responsibility to tune the saw before use.

Unfortunately most saws (carbs) today have anti-tamper devises over the needle adjustments and the average homeowner/user is clueless as to how to access the adjustment screws or even know what a properly running saw sounds like out of the wood and in. That's not a 'quality' issue that is a tuning issue.

I promise you I can make your Husky hot enough it won't start again for hours afterward.

Again....IF you run a saw too lean it WILL get hot, ALL OF THEM (Stilhl, Husky, other) and restart issues are almost guaranteed.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I just skimmed the 5 pages of responses, so I may have missed it, but a couple of points I didn't see covered:

1. A Stihl homeowner saw is a pro saw compared to the big box offerings. I have an 025 (predecessor to the MS250) that I bought 30 years ago. At the time, the hardware store brands talked of annual maintenance at 25 hours. Stihl considered 25 hours as weekly use.

2. If you plan to do chainsaw milling with an Alaskan mill or similar, you need the next class up of saw compared to bucking. EG: an 60cc saw is more than plenty to buck a 2'-3' diameter hardwood , but to mill that you need a big saw -- 90cc class. The bigger the better. I use a 124cc 084 with a 36" bar and Stihl .404 milling chain and it's working in hardwood. A 60cc saw might do for softwood with a 24" bar.

3. Echo offers the best warranty in the business -- 5 years for homeowner use. But good luck trying to collect on it. There are many horror stories on the internet about Echo blaming the owner (eg: claiming the saw must have been straight-gassed) and refusing to cover repairs. Stihl will extend the consumer warranty to 2 years if you buy some of their oil on the same receipt as the saw, Husqvarna will extend their consumer warranty to 5 years if you buy some of their pre-mix fuel with the saw. Shorter periods, but more likely to stand behind their product if there is a problem down the road.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I just skimmed the 5 pages of responses, so I may have missed it, but a couple of points I didn't see covered:

1. A Stihl homeowner saw is a pro saw compared to the big box offerings. I have an 025 (predecessor to the MS250) that I bought 30 years ago. At the time, the hardware store brands talked of annual maintenance at 25 hours. Stihl considered 25 hours as weekly use.

2. If you plan to do chainsaw milling with an Alaskan mill or similar, you need the next class up of saw compared to bucking. EG: an 60cc saw is more than plenty to buck a 2'-3' diameter hardwood , but to mill that you need a big saw -- 90cc class. The bigger the better. I use a 124cc 084 with a 36" bar and Stihl .404 milling chain and it's working in hardwood. A 60cc saw might do for softwood with a 24" bar.

3. Echo offers the best warranty in the business -- 5 years for homeowner use. But good luck trying to collect on it. There are many horror stories on the internet about Echo blaming the owner (eg: claiming the saw must have been straight-gassed) and refusing to cover repairs. Stihl will extend the consumer warranty to 2 years if you buy some of their oil on the same receipt as the saw, Husqvarna will extend their consumer warranty to 5 years if you buy some of their pre-mix fuel with the saw. Shorter periods, but more likely to stand behind their product if there is a problem down the road.
I can agree with much of what you said save the stihl home owner grade saw is any better then a big box store saw. They make plenty of plastic clam shell junk that works no better then any poulan, craftsman or whatever generic saw on the market. Their only saving grace is you have to buy them from a still dealer and they should get tuned before you buy them.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Take your Husky, lean out the carb....run a tank and then see if it will start. The manufacturer can only provide a saw that 'should' start and run acceptably in a 'window' of conditions. They have no control over whether the end user mixed the fuel properly, has fuel that is fresh and not contaminated, etc....

Also, IF you bought a saw from a 'dealer' they should start the saw and tune it for the conditions at hand (altitude and temp) before giving it to the consumer. IF you buy a saw from a Big Box store then you get what you get...and it is YOUR responsibility to tune the saw before use.

Unfortunately most saws (carbs) today have anti-tamper devises over the needle adjustments and the average homeowner/user is clueless as to how to access the adjustment screws or even know what a properly running saw sounds like out of the wood and in. That's not a 'quality' issue that is a tuning issue.

I promise you I can make your Husky hot enough it won't start again for hours afterward.

Again....IF you run a saw too lean it WILL get hot, ALL OF THEM (Stilhl, Husky, other) and restart issues are almost guaranteed.
The only saw I have a problem with is my Stihl MS180C. The only carb adjustment is for idle speed. No anti tampering plugs, just no adjustment for high and low speed. I asked a guy at a Stihl dealer if an adjustable carb was available. He mentioned something about going to jail if he told me.
I also have a MS250 and an old 011 AVT. Every once in a while, the settings need adjustment. Every couple of years, I have to replace the carb on the MS180C.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
17 years ago I bought a New Husky 385XP
still runs like a beast. 24" bar

using it today to cut up some firewood.
every tank of gas I blow it off with compressed air and touch up the chain with a file.

great saw.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
OP here. I went off of my Stihl brand loyalty and bought an Echo 59.8cc CS-590. I wanted something in case my driveway gets blocked by tree fall, but I haven't saved enough for the Stihl 500 fuel injection that I want.

Maybe next year I will get my Stihl 500.

The Echo was just over $400 and came with a free gallon can of premix gas. It's a good saw, had one years ago, and at the price it's good enough for an emergency tree fall.

Cheers

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
OP here. I went off of my Stihl brand loyalty and bought an Echo 59.8cc CS-590. I wanted something in case my driveway gets blocked by tree fall, but I haven't saved enough for the Stihl 500 fuel injection that I want.

The Echo was just over $400 and came with a free gallon can of premix gas. It's a good saw, had one years ago, and at the price it's good enough for an emergency tree fall.

Cheers
That echo (previously the Timberwolf) is just fine. Keep a sharp chain on it and it will serve you well.

Also, service and parts for it are available just about anywhere.

Good choice IMO.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

Cheers
We have a CS-I think 400 at work. I was super impressed with the serviceability of that thing. Magnesium case and removable cylinder sold me. If the 590 is anything like it, you will be pleased.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sounds like you made a good choice. I’ve been intrigued by the Stihl 400 and 500 also, but they’re a lot of $$ for for me to justify as an occasional use saw.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I run husqvarna saws for my main use saws and I also have a ms 180 mounted full time on the side by side and one on my quad. I’ve never had carb issues with either of my ms180 saws and both are in the ten plus years old I’d say. Always start and run great but they are what they are. 16 inch saws. I have a husqvarna rancher 460 with an 18 inch bar for my go to saw and a husqvarna 365 for when I need a bit more power. I do around 40 face cord a year so nothing crazy but enough for me lol.

I had an issue with the rancher 460 when it was about 5 years old. It pushed the spark plug from the threads. I just put a helicoil in it but noticed the hole was a bit off to begin with in the cast. I contacted husqvarna and they said there was a recall on them but only for a year. They were still happy to send me a new jug rings pistons the complete rebuild kit after 5 years. No recipes or bs like that needed. Needless to say that was 7 years ago and the coil is still going strong so no need to rebuild yet. Maybe my kids will need it. Keep the chain sharp and the gas clean. Mine don’t sit long enough to see old gas

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I've had my MS 180 for a few years and this past year it started leaking out the chain oil. So I replaced a little black tube that I was told is prone to leaking. But it still leaks leaving a puddle of oil.

I suppose that I'll take it to a shop and have them fix it. It's frustrating.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Don’t remember if it was from new or not but the 180s do tend to have a good puddle from time to time. I just assumed it was normal. Again they are what they are. I always start with both tanks full so I’ve never worried about it. They are a few years apart in age but get pretty shaken on the toys. I always like to keep something to clean a trail if needed. One lives on this mount I built a few year ago now to switch from side by side to my old Ford 5600. The bigger saws stick up a bit high for my comfort zone on the side by side. I could picture catching a limb. Ouch now I just leave a 180 in its place for Justin. The other is on another atv now but will eventually be mounted to the 7060
I ended up with two 180s cause I wanted one on each machine plus having twin boys I though it would come in handy one day.
Well no suck luck yet lol. Other then not switching it back and forth.

Attachments