High Use or Professional Chainsaws

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
I have an Stihl MS 261 that I would highly recommend. No comparison to a similar sized "farm boss" version. It's very heavy duty, lightweight and large enough with a 20-25" chain to cut down what you described. I've used it all weather, even cutting 8" of ice to open water for cows during the last Texas Icemageddon.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I run a 25" bar on a 62CC saw at 8600 ft. MS362, runs just fine. However I am all soft wood (pine, fir, aspen) so that has a huge impact.
Even in hardwoods....a sharp chain and letting the saw do the work...usually works fine. Most land owners won't be burying a 25" bar in hardwoods....but if deemed barely sufficient you can change over to 'skip' chain or change sprockets/rim for more torque.

I run a 24" bar on several of my saws simply because it makes reaching limbs easier and you have to bend over less bucking logs. At my age...the more I can stand straight up....the better.

Reactions: 1 users

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have two that work for me…that smaller pro saw is a beast.
844C1A02-CB1B-4995-A50F-B0BEFEB70411.jpeg
944666E2-24CC-4A94-A4C3-B7273E53087E.jpeg
4C4D8393-DEC2-4420-8412-22F7F16EF27B.jpeg

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Even in hardwoods....a sharp chain and letting the saw do the work...usually works fine. Most land owners won't be burying a 25" bar in hardwoods....but if deemed barely sufficient you can change over to 'skip' chain or change sprockets/rim for more torque.

I run a 24" bar on several of my saws simply because it makes reaching limbs easier and you have to bend over less bucking logs. At my age...the more I can stand straight up....the better.
Exactly! I have a 32" on my MS500i...makes bucking and larger limbing really easy. No bending over.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I bought a new stihl 20 inch bar for bigger stuff,, I aint impressed,, it is one of the cold bloodest POS I ever owned, I dont even think it would make a good boat anchor,, and yep it has been worked on half a dozen times, I leave it it in the garage , maybe somebody might take it .....I grab my old husky with an 18 inch bar with a good sharp chain I have found to much of anything,,, with in my limitations,,, I have not been able to take down.. But ya pays your money and takes your chances

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I bought a new stihl 20 inch bar for bigger stuff,, I aint impressed,, it is one of the cold bloodest POS I ever owned, I dont even think it would make a good boat anchor,, and yep it has been worked on half a dozen times, I leave it it in the garage , maybe somebody might take it .....I grab my old husky with an 18 inch bar with a good sharp chain I have found to much of anything,,, with in my limitations,,, I have not been able to take down.. But ya pays your money and takes your chances
What model number is that boat anchor?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Thanks to everyone's comments, I've sort of narrowed it down to the Stihl MS362 CM or non-CM. The Stihl 462. Or the Stihl 391.

But I still have to look into Husky.

For the money it looks like the MS 362 is a Pro saw I can live with.

The Stihl dealer network is a big plus for me, compared to buying an Echo from Home Depot.

I'll let ya'll know what I end up with.

Thanks to all for their advice.
All good choices. The 362 and 462 are pro saws, 391 is farm/ranch, dependable but heavy. Husky equivalent would be 3 or 5 series with 60 or 70cc.
Healthy is a good way of putting it. It cuts thru large hardwoods like a hot knife thru butter. I have to keep reminding myself to make sure my pant legs are over the top of my boots. Chips galore.
I’ve run a few ported saws and 90+cc monsters, but that 462 just sounds freaking good with the bar buried.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What model number is that boat anchor?
MS 391,, A bitch to start, low power and just not a reliable saw stalls for no reason,,, but like I said ya pays your money and ya takes your chances

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is my 046 Magnum with 20” bar. It’s probably pushing 30 years old now. Predecessor to the 460/461/462.

I bought it used some time back. Had Shindawa 595 (?) and Stihl 056 Super before.

Stout saw, but I don’t think I’d want a steady diet of milling with it.

The thing just screams compared to a farm/ranch saw like a MS391. If you don’t know the difference, no harm. I know the difference, so a non-pro saw won’t cut it for me.

That said, I’m much older now, and usually a little MS211 is all I want for tinkering.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Exactly! I have a 32" on my MS500i...makes bucking and larger limbing really easy. No bending over.
That saw sounds incredible. I want one of those!

Fuel Injected!!!

I've got a bad back myself.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not bashing the 500, but I believe it is ‘intelligent’. Don’t get me wrong, I hug ever tree before I cut it down 😉 and I also plant more than I cut each year…but I wonder what is the real benefit of FI on something that operates in a dirty/oily/dusty/wet environment…is that better for a FI module longevity? seems like an individual can monkey with the carb should it come to that, but how you tinker with a black box on a saw? If you notice the carb models have been brought back with stihl since they originally started canceling them on the pro saws. I would not have one with NAvi or voice command either though. The carbureted models are much less unavailable (higher demand I suspect).

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I am not bashing the 500, but I believe it is ‘intelligent’. Don’t get me wrong, I hug ever tree before I cut it down 😉 and I also plant more than I cut each year…but I wonder what is the real benefit of FI on something that operates in a dirty/oily/dusty/wet environment…is that better for a FI module longevity? seems like an individual can monkey with the carb should it come to that, but how you tinker with a black box on a saw? If you notice the carb models have been brought back with stihl since they originally started canceling them on the pro saws. I would not have one with NAvi or voice command either though. The carbureted models are much less unavailable (higher demand I suspect).
How about a hybrid? Think of the possibilities!

• Haha

timdan94

Equipment
L 2501 TLB
Oct 25, 2011
Liberty Pa
I'm a husqvarna guy.. I have a 550xp, (the wife likes this one), a 562 xp, a 572 xp, and a 390xp. My go to saw is the 562 xp... light powerful and runs a 20 or 24" bar with no issues. My dad keeps trying to steal it from me after running it a few times.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin

Having a little history in small engines for motorcycles and cars/trucks. I never really considered Fuel Injection as a bad thing. Further back in time. Late 1970's, I remember spraying starter fluid into mom's Chrysler LeBaron to get it started when she needed to go into town.

But, and that's a BIG Butt, I do completely appreciate KISS. Keep it simple Stupid.

But i just might go over budget and against my desire to KISS. I do love the Stihl MS 500 I. I'm much older now and tinkering with some things is fun. But tinkering with carburetors is not fun.

I can't see lighting up a cigar and trying to clean out or adjust a carb. I don't mind dying when God wants to take me, but I'm not exactly biting at the bit to go.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm a husqvarna guy.. I have a 550xp, (the wife likes this one), a 562 xp, a 572 xp, and a 390xp. My go to saw is the 562 xp... light powerful and runs a 20 or 24" bar with no issues. My dad keeps trying to steal it from me after running it a few times.
Thank you. i was waiting for more Husky guys to chime in.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I've used a couple of Husqvarna pro saws and really like them. I think they or the pro Echos match up with Stihl. I was under the impression OP didn't have Husky or Echo support nearby. Big box store doesn't count. We've got to keep him out of those!