Hey looking at advice on brush hog size for my tractor

Allen B

Equipment
B7510HSD
May 18, 2023
Kimbolton Ohio
I just recently bought a kubota B7510HSD tractor with a 60" belly mower. I was looking at getting a brush hog for it to an was wondering what size I should go with. It has the 21 hp diesel. The measurement from outside to outside of rear tires is 5' iwas thinking that would be the size but would like to be a little bit bigger than my tire tracks but I didn't know if a 6' would be to big.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I just recently bought a kubota B7510HSD tractor with a 60" belly mower. I was looking at getting a brush hog for it to an was wondering what size I should go with. It has the 21 hp diesel. The measurement from outside to outside of rear tires is 5' iwas thinking that would be the size but would like to be a little bit bigger than my tire tracks but I didn't know if a 6' would be to big.
I wouldn't go over 5'.

Reactions: 2 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Depends on what you’re cuttting. My L3830 has 30 PTO Hp and it won’t cut wire grass over about 0.5 mph. On the first cutting each year of 2 to 2.5 ft tall pasture grass it is limited to about 1 to 2 mph. This is with a 60 inch brush hog (rotary cutter), set so that the skid shoes are 1 inch above a concrete surface and new cutting blades. The cut grass length ends up being about 4 inches. So unless you’re cutting very thin/short and/or dry grass, I certainly wouldn’t go over 5 ft. Maybe 4 ft other than that’s narrower than your tractor. Unless you want to cut it high or very slowly.

I have an 8N that would barely pull a 3.5 ft brush hog in the same conditions. I don’t use it anymore. It’s a historic artifact.

Reactions: 1 user

Allen B

Equipment
B7510HSD
May 18, 2023
Kimbolton Ohio
Depends on what you’re cuttting. My L3830 has 30 PTO Hp and it won’t cut wire grass over about 0.5 mph. On the first cutting each year of 2 to 2.5 ft tall pasture grass it is limited to about 1 to 2 mph. This is with a 60 inch brush hog (rotary cutter), set so that the skid shoes are 1 inch above a concrete surface and new cutting blades. The cut grass length ends up being about 4 inches. So unless you’re cutting very thin/short and/or dry grass, I certainly wouldn’t go over 5 ft. Maybe 4 ft other than that’s narrower than your tractor. Unless you want to cut it high or very slowly.

I have an 8N that would barely pull a 3.5 ft brush hog in the same conditions. I don’t use it anymore. It’s a historic artifact.
So maybe look at going with a 4 ' maybe ????

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Your B7510 is 21 engine HP, but only 16 HP at the PTO. The PTO HP is the number that you want to use. Go with a 4 foot brush hog, you will be disappointed with a 5 foot unless you are only cutting shorter grass.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a B8200, which has 16 HP at the PTO, and use a 5' brush mower as long as I owned it (25 years) with no troubles. Sold the tractor, still have the mower! I did use it with consideration of what was ahead, not mowing everything I could drive over.

If the material is too thick it isn't required to take the full width of cut each time.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have a 60" that I use with my B2910. I would not go bigger, mainly because bigger = Heavier.

I remember looking at the B7510 before deciding on the B2910, and the felt the B2910 was a step larger machine physically.

If you’re just cutting short stuff that 60 inch would probably work for you. But you already have a 60 inch MMM. My gut tells me that a 48 inch brush hog would be a better fit for the B7510.

I cut about 5 acres regularly with my BX2200 and there’s no way I would put a brush hog behind it in place of the 60 inch MMM. I do sometimes think it would be nice to have a 42 inch brush hog behind the BX, though!

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
It is interesting to me that everyones experience is different. This thread to me is a good reminder that there is not a "cookie cutter" answer to what is the best sized implement.

I ran a 48 inch King Kutter behind my 13 PTO HP B7100 for years and never wanted for more HP, even when cutting taller thick cool season grasses. Of course I adjusted my travel speed as needed.
I run a 6 foot light duty LandPride behind my 19 PTO HP L2501 and my results are the same. Cuts well for the material I cut and my type of terrain.

Depending on your expected material you will be cutting I personally would consider the 5 foot cutter before a 4 foot.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I don’t think the width and performance of a multi fixed blade MMM can be directly related to a rear PTO driven rotary cutter with a single pivot (two hinged blades on a stump jumper). The MMM certainly won’t cut in the first cut of the season conditions I mentioned above (unless maybe the deck was all the way up), which is why I use the rotary cutter on my larger tractor with a 30 Hp PTO. After that first cut, then I can use the MMM driven by a 19 Hp PTO on the same field.

I made the mistake of buying a 3 point rotary cutter that was too large for my 8N the first time around 25 years ago. It cost me some money and time.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
A 6' rough cut mower is MUCH too large for your tractor, both too wide and too heavy.

Stay with a 4 foot cutter.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think it really depends on what cutting, the density, and the speed…and it’s different for everyone. I think the challenging thing, at least for me in buying a brush cutter was sure it says it cuts a certain diameter, but the density or number (volume) of those diameter saplings also makes a difference. It’s not a mulching head / forestry mulcher on a compact track loader. So I think when come to smaller HP machines the best way to imagine is how much HP on a walk behind mower and how does it do with wet tall heavy grass? Then are you expecting the tractor be able to take more width / rated engine power? Sure their is a difference with the diesel engine and torque but just consider your expectation when sizing is sort of my though. I think if planning to use for higher density / thicker stands of tall grass or saplings, you might be happy with the minimum deck width just covering the tracks. If using for a large lawn and keep under control maybe a wider cut is better. Sometimes you have to go over twice if not happy with first cut. Still better than a scythe or hand shears or a walk behind IMO. Good luck.