Hernia mesh

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Anyone get hernia mesh lately?
I had an umbilical hernia 3 years ago. I didn't want mesh with all the lawsuits you see on tv so they just sewed it back in and its holding well.
Yesterday I had laparoscopic surgery for another hernia that formed just above the belly button. When the surgeon went in she found I had three hernias! She did tell me before hand I was getting mesh they have been having great success with. Actually, I wanted it because I dont want to do this again! Yeah Ill probably see the new mesh on the lawyer commercials in a few years! LOL!
I have had some major surgeries in my time but this is a painful recovery! So...anyone have hernia mesh lately? I would love to hear your story!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Define lately. I had double bi-lateral inguinal hernias repaired in 2007 with mesh. I haven't had an issue other than some occasional discomfort initially. I swear I could feel the mesh from time to time.

I told the surgeon that I had a landscaping business at the time and I'm sure that I got at least two hernias from throwing trees around. The last one that made me go to the surgeon was from being on a tuna boat in very rough seas.

As you said, it was a painful recovery. I sure do hope the mesh lasts.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
IF 22 years ago is considered recent, then I had it. No issues since the repair.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Well thanks all your replies make me feel better!

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
So you all can still do what you used to do before the hernia mesh, or is hard lifting, moving a thing of the past? I still have the rest of my life of pulling 3 batteries out of the boat, wrestling pool filters before winter comes and so on. I know I am out of commission for quite a while but still have lots to do in life owning a home and I never want to do this again! This is worse than hip and shoulder replacements!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I had the same procedure as @dirtydeed in early 2020 with no issues yet. The surgeon told me that they'd do both sides since they were going to be there anyway, but only one side had bulged. It sure was uncomfortable for a month or so while waiting to get scheduled for surgery. I got in right before the hospital halted all non life-threatening surgeries due to the pandemic.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Define lately. I had double bi-lateral inguinal hernias repaired in 2007 with mesh. I haven't had an issue other than some occasional discomfort initially. I swear I could feel the mesh from time to time.

I told the surgeon that I had a landscaping business at the time and I'm sure that I got at least two hernias from throwing trees around. The last one that made me go to the surgeon was from being on a tuna boat in very rough seas.

As you said, it was a painful recovery. I sure do hope the mesh lasts.
There are several types of mesh used in surgery. With all the lawyer commercials I kind of thought there was a problem with older types of mesh? Glad you are well!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So you all can still do what you used to do before the hernia mesh, or is hard lifting, moving a thing of the past? I still have the rest of my life of pulling 3 batteries out of the boat, wrestling pool filters before winter comes and so on. I know I am out of commission for quite a while but still have lots to do in life owning a home and I never want to do this again! This is worse than hip and shoulder replacements!
I'm doing all manner of manual labor without a second thought. I almost broke my leg this past Saturday messing around with one of the JD plows, but I've had no issues lifting heavy objects since the surgery. I got my inguinal hernia doing leg exercises at the local gym and not using the equipment properly. I remember the moment I bulged or tore my peritoneum. It ached like an SOB for weeks, particularly while standing.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I'm doing all manner of manual labor without a second thought. I almost broke my leg this past Saturday messing around with one of the JD plows, but I've had no issues lifting heavy objects since the surgery. I got my inguinal hernia doing leg exercises at the local gym and not using the equipment properly. I remember the moment I bulged or tore my peritoneum.
Yes sir! I hurt myself doing that....Just one more sit up!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
No issues since the surgery. I went back to work lifting patients and fighting fires after a month off. No issues since the surgery. Maybe I can find some way of blaming the surgery for me getting fat, although I have a feeling that has more to do with the trips to the icebox than the surgery.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A couple years ago I managed to rupture my bowel. Wound up being split from bely button to breast bone and woke up with a bag, on my belly. .yuck!!!!! Anyways when they were going to go back in and reattach everything I asked about the mesh. Doc said he would never use the mesh because of the problems being found out about it. Now I am sure there have been advances in the technology of the mesh and how it is used. Best thing would be to speak to you Doc and maybe a couple others as well, and no I dont have the mesh, and no longer a 6 pack either,, lol

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Skeets I still have my 6 pack! Its just hiding behind some bread and butter and rocky road ice cream!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Surgery w/mesh installed for an inguinal hernia 5 years ago. Doctor did tell me before surgery that there used to be problems with the mesh being used years ago but those largely went away the last few years with the new type of mesh they are using. I've had no problems whatsoever since the surgery.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Just what I like to hear Botamon! Thanks!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. I believe I'm going to have to go back for a repair on one side :mad:. I'm getting the hernia burn frequently now.

I did a little research and it seems to be fairly common for failures within 10 years. It's been longer than that for me ...about 16 years I believe. I don't want to imagine the mess that they'll find removing old mesh. Not something that I'm looking forward to.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Determine if the Dr. does open surgery and/or laparoscopic. The laparoscopic is less invasive and quicker healing.

I had inguinal hernia surgery scheduled for 9/18 but canceled it on Fri. 9/15. When I saw the Dr. who diagnosed it I just wanted it fixed. I discovered this Dr only did open surgery. During that two week wait I started learning more about what was going on and different methods of surgery.

I finally got a call back from another Dr's nurse, and when I explained my predicament she said the Dr. was just out of surgery and would try to get a hold of him and maybe I could come in that day, and if I wanted the surgery he could do it Monday (this was on a Friday)! Turns out the Dr had already left the hospital but left a message I could come in Monday at Noon and get surgery on Tuesday. He does both types of surgery. Asked him (on Monday) how many of these hernia surgeries he's done..... 1500.

Had him do the laparoscopic Tue afternoon with mesh implant. Took 35 minutes. I slept in a recliner the first night. I lay around and be lazy for a few days.

You get three holes in your belly, on near your naval, and one on each side of the naval about 3" out. The two outside are for the instruments, the middle one is to put carbon dioxide in to extend the stomach to give working room.

These doctors demonstrate the process.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Father-in-law just had an inguinal hernia repaired. Actually the same site of a previous hernia (25 yrs. ago).

His hernia ended up creating an incarcerated bowel (and obstruction) and by the time he decided something was wrong (two days) he was in pretty bad shape. He is also 90 yrs. old.

Hernia repaired (with mesh) resection of part of the bowel (was becoming necrotic), 6 nights and 7 days in the hospital recovering. He bloated up like crazy and Doctors were fearful of a perforated bowel....but he pulled through.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Determine if the Dr. does open surgery and/or laparoscopic. The laparoscopic is less invasive and quicker healing.

I had inguinal hernia surgery scheduled for 9/18 but canceled it on Fri. 9/15. When I saw the Dr. who diagnosed it I just wanted it fixed. I discovered this Dr only did open surgery. During that two week wait I started learning more about what was going on and different methods of surgery.

I finally got a call back from another Dr's nurse, and when I explained my predicament she said the Dr. was just out of surgery and would try to get a hold of him and maybe I could come in that day, and if I wanted the surgery he could do it Monday (this was on a Friday)! Turns out the Dr had already left the hospital but left a message I could come in Monday at Noon and get surgery on Tuesday. He does both types of surgery. Asked him (on Monday) how many of these hernia surgeries he's done..... 1500.

Had him do the laparoscopic Tue afternoon with mesh implant. Took 35 minutes. I slept in a recliner the first night. I lay around and be lazy for a few days.

You get three holes in your belly, on near your naval, and one on each side of the naval about 3" out. The two outside are for the instruments, the middle one is to put carbon dioxide in to extend the stomach to give working room.

These doctors demonstrate the process.
Thanks for the info...I would definitely prefer laparoscopic if they can for the repair. First time around for me was double bilateral (I had 2 on one side, one on the other) resulting in 2 4" incisions. I'll likely never forget the pain when I woke up in recovery. It was that intense.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Hernia surgery in 1952 and it is still holding. Had colon surgery about 3 years ago, and never asked what they did, except the surgeon said that he had to take out 5 or 6 feet of intestine to get everything out. Didn't need any treatment afterwards, but I hurt for quite a while. Speaking to a friend last weekend who is a surgeon, he said that people forget about the pain of surgery as they heal, and when fully healed, they have very little remembrance of the procedure. I must be the exception since I remember every one of them clearly.