Here's why you wear a seat belt with ROPS system

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
And I would NOT want to be wearing a seatbelt going into it with my open air tractor. But you guys that don't mind being on the wrong end of the sewer pipe, go ahead and strap right in.
Might be a good time to have those air bags and be wearing a helmet though ;)

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
It’s not as simple as one might think.... (Did you remember to take a deep breath before your head went under...? Did you mistakenly undo your seat-belt first ..which then allows you to float-about and become lost and disoriented? Did you remember to swim in the same direction as the bubbles to find the surface?)
I will admit that I don't wear the seat belt on my BX at all - not something I'm proud of and something I will try to work on. On a completely unrelated note ... I have definitely been in this immersion simulator in Nova Scotia. I worked as a Coast Guard marine engineer for almost 17 years and, at that time, we did all our marine emergency training at this facility (Survival Systems). So cool to see it again - thanks for sharing!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've never driven my tractor on main street in the Orient! That example would not apply to any place I use my tractor!

I do have a 40 HP trencher. Has flotation tires that measure 6'-0" out to out. Pretty stable. Extremely difficult to flip while digging. Also difficult to rotate around to see how it's going. By all accounts here I'm fortunate to be breathing air because I have never attached the seat belt clip on that machine in 30 years. ;)

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I use my Kubota mowing very steep slopes commercially - graded capped landfills, reservoir dams, etc. I've used both open and cab tractors, and often thought about the pros and cons of wearing a seat belt. The *only* con I can see is if the tractor rolls into water. When I mow the top of a reservoir dam, there is very short, steep drop into anywhere from 30-80 feet of water. Just being able to "get out" of the cabbed tractor would be difficult. I'm extremely careful along water's edge. Otherwise, I wear my seat belt on any slopes. Working on flat ground, I do not.

Life is full of risk opportunities, and an enjoyable life is one where the individual gets to choose. I live in NH where seat belts in road vehicles are not required, but I frequently travel into Vermont where they are. I once was stopped for a seat belt violation, and the officer gave me a lecture on safety instead of the $100 fine. I politely waited for him to finish, then asked him if I had chosen to ride my Harley for this trip instead, would it have been OK to not wear a seat belt?

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
By the way, I missed this forum for a month or two and see SideCarFlip is banned. What happened this time?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I use my Kubota mowing very steep slopes commercially - graded capped landfills, reservoir dams, etc. I've used both open and cab tractors, and often thought about the pros and cons of wearing a seat belt. The *only* con I can see is if the tractor rolls into water. When I mow the top of a reservoir dam, there is very short, steep drop into anywhere from 30-80 feet of water. Just being able to "get out" of the cabbed tractor would be difficult. I'm extremely careful along water's edge. Otherwise, I wear my seat belt on any slopes. Working on flat ground, I do not.

Life is full of risk opportunities, and an enjoyable life is one where the individual gets to choose. I live in NH where seat belts in road vehicles are not required, but I frequently travel into Vermont where they are. I once was stopped for a seat belt violation, and the officer gave me a lecture on safety instead of the $100 fine. I politely waited for him to finish, then asked him if I had chosen to ride my Harley for this trip instead, would it have been OK to not wear a seat belt?
I've noticed the drivers on Ice Road Truckers do not wear their seat belts when crossing the frozen lakes. One guy had his door open and a screwdriver in his left hand. He WAS prepared!

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I've noticed the drivers on Ice Road Truckers do not wear their seat belts when crossing the frozen lakes. One guy had his door open and a screwdriver in his left hand. He WAS prepared!
You've got to be a certain kind of crazy to do that job. The money is definitely good, but not worth the risk for me.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
If you go into water, the key is remaining calm and knowing that while you are in imminent danger, there is a procedure that needs to be completed in order to save your life. You need to wait for the (cab) tractor to come to a rest first. Hopefully minimal water will enter the cab during the descent, allowing normal breathing. Take a couple of seconds if possible to get your bearings and orientation, than take a deep breath and hold it and immediately open the side windows, pop the back hatch, whatever you can do to flood the interior asap. Do this in a calm manner expending as little energy as possible. Once the compartment is flooded, open the door and head to the surface. Obviously there are many things that can go wrong in this scenario which can kill you, but this is the correct procedure for survival.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You've got to be a certain kind of crazy to do that job. The money is certainly good, but not worth the risk for me.
I was watching the guy who was pulling doubles, each loaded with 14,000 gallons of diesel crossing the lake and the rear set of axles fell through. The part of the truck that was above is all that kept the truck from going down.

They explained how the ice gets soft spots. The ice is between 28-35" deep. Yep, not for me!

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Was riding my snowmobile across a lake last weekend, and hit a soft spot where slush about 10" deep formed between the top layer and an ice layer below. Definitely wakes you up!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
It was an interesting operation. They brought in another truck and off loaded the rear trailer of the fuel. Then had a tow truck with a crane pick up the rear out of the ice and have the driver pull up. Then they marked off that area to keep others out, but the had ice augers to drill holes to allow the ice to "heal" itself.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Also from NASD:
ROPS are 99% effective in preventing serious injury or death when used with a seatbelt.

And more:
“I will be able to bail out or jump off if I sense I’m in trouble.”
  • It takes less than 1 second for a tractor to overturn backwards.
  • It is impossible to react quickly enough to jump clear of a rolling tractor. If an operator isn’t struck by the tractor when he or she is thrown off, it is likely they may be struck or crushed by the equipment or load hitched to the tractor
In reading this thread I'm actually shocked at the number of folks that don't wear seatbelts and think that's a 'stupid idea' to wear them. Further, to say that do not save lives.. data/science deniers I guess?

The water argument @NHSleddog ... really... I'd much rather 'struggle' a little (push a button) to get my seatbelt off than wait to inhale water because I'm trapped (arm/leg/whole body) under the tractor/ROPS.

Those against seatbelts may want to read the data, watch some roll over videos with/without seatbelts. If that still doesn't change your minds just cut all your PTO covers off as well... after all only a Darwin candidate would get caught in a spinning PTO.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
In reading this thread I'm actually shocked at the number of folks that don't wear seatbelts and think that's a 'stupid idea' to wear them. Further, to say that do not save lives.. data/science deniers I guess?
I generally agree with your sentiments but I take exception to the term "science denier", mainly because it is too often used to dismiss people with differing opinions without engaging in discussion. I have been called that on several occasions, typically by people who know far less about the subject in question than I do.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Not a single truck driver has been killed crossing the ice. It is more drama then real life. All the rules for Hours of service still apply.

Just like the "Shipping Wars" show. Drama not real life.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I generally agree with your sentiments but I take exception to the term "science denier", mainly because it is too often used to dismiss people with differing opinions without engaging in discussion. I have been called that on several occasions, typically by people who know far less about the subject in question than I do.
I understand and agree with that--probably should have left it as data denier. However, when 99% of folks in a seatbelt with ROPS are uninjured and 130 folks die from rollovers a YEAR (129 lives saved by the SEATBELT) and folks still want to argue that it makes no difference I think its appropriate to use.

Kind of like 'flat earth' folks. We have photos from space, satellites send signals from above while they are in orbit.. clearly science/data deniers. Sometimes its appropriate, maybe even necessary, to use as there is no other explanation for their point of view.