• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That’s the reason I don’t do stoopid stuff on a tractor....
Seat belts save Darwin candidates.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
My Hindi isn't the best but I think the guy said "Damn he's coming in hot". Tractors are certainly not the ideal drifting vehicle.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Here is one time you won't want the seat belt on,

upside-down.jpg

I don't fear the water as much as impalement by branches (while driving around) or being crushed by rocks/stumps (while rolling over) out in the woods. In an open air machine I prefer the ability to move around or bail if needed, the seatbelt greatly restricts that. Unless I am working on an open slope, I won't use the belt.

YMWV - Every operator is different in their reaction to situations. My SIL will hold the wheel, close her eyes and hope for the best. She needs as many seat belts and air bags as possible. She would lobby for additional seat belts, roll bars, air bags, lock-outs, stickers etc.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s not as simple as one might think.... (Did you remember to take a deep breath before your head went under...? Did you mistakenly undo your seat-belt first ..which then allows you to float-about and become lost and disoriented? Did you remember to swim in the same direction as the bubbles to find the surface?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Video reminds me of the 60 Minutes 'Jeep J-turn' segment decades ago. Essentially a 'JEEPs aren't safe- do NOT buy them' smear campaign. I never watched 60 minutes after that BS

Reactions: 2 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Seatbelt!.. he needed a racing harness! Mainly so he could have gotten control of the runaway.. potentially hurting or killing someone. Very lucky no one got injured.. that we know of.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
In the OP's video, the guy driving the tractor is just fine. Hard saying how he would have done belted in.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
In New England they had tractor safety courses for farm kids and anyone else who wanted to take one.

One of the things in that course that they did was go over what to do in case of a roll over. They drilled it into the participants. And then they had them roll over the tractor 🙄🙄🙄 They did it in a controlled setting, certain speed, crash helmet, ect....

One of my friends parents had him and his siblings go through the course before they were allowed to operate any of the tractors on their dairy farm. And yes, each one of them rolled the tractor at the end of the course 😜😜😜

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Here is one time you won't want the seat belt on,

View attachment 54075
I don't know what the percentages are for tractors, but the last time I checked, about 1% of motor vehicle accidents involve submersion or fire. Those are the only situations where you might be better off withOUT a seat belt than WITH.

But even in that 1%, in almost all cases you are better off WITH the seat belt because you are more likely to avoid injury and unconsciousness in the initical accident, and then be much more able to extract yourself.

But some people prefer to bet on the 1%.

Reactions: 1 users

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
Video reminds me of the 60 Minutes 'Jeep J-turn' segment decades ago. Essentially a 'JEEPs aren't safe- do NOT buy them' smear campaign. I never watched 60 minutes after that BS
That was exactly the program that turned me off to both 60 Minutes and the mainstream media in general, back in the 80s I believe. I had a REAL Jeep CJ5 soft top at the time, and had pulled a high G turn to keep from missing an off ramp. At 60. At night. In the winter snow. In Maine. No problems at all. Never gave it a second thought, actually, until the fools at CBS.

l haven’t wasted time on any of that since. I always assume what is being delivered is a lie, ask myself who has what to gain by promulgating it and applying my “Universal Law of Liberal Inverse Hypocrisy: Anything a liberal says, does, supports, it’s the opposite.”

To paraphrase Professor Wagstaff:
” No matter what it is if the Left presents it...
I’m against it!!”

Reactions: 9 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Heck, I don't even have a seatbelt on my open station M9. Never have.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I don't know what the percentages are for tractors, but the last time I checked, about 1% of motor vehicle accidents involve submersion or fire. Those are the only situations where you might be better off withOUT a seat belt than WITH.

But even in that 1%, in almost all cases you are better off WITH the seat belt because you are more likely to avoid injury and unconsciousness in the initical accident, and then be much more able to extract yourself.

But some people prefer to bet on the 1%.
Cars are not tractors and make a bad comparison. Cars go fast. Seatbelts were designed and meant for forward impact. I don't get a lot of that on my tractor.

Although as you mentioned they also help in roll-overs. In a car you are in a "cabbed" tractor. In a cabbed tractor wearing the seatbelt makes more sense to me. Open air, I'll rarely wear the belt.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Seat belts are designed to keep the occupant in the normal operators position whether it be going forward, back, sideways or upside down.
Any time you are operating a vehicle with a cab or ROPS you must wear a seatbelt. To do otherwise is shear stupidity.

Reactions: 5 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
If you doubt the importance of seatbelts with ROPS, find your local rural fire department and see if you can join them for "Ag Rescue" class.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Seat belts are designed to keep the occupant in the normal operators position whether it be going forward, back, sideways or upside down.
Any time you are operating a vehicle with a cab or ROPS you must wear a seatbelt. To do otherwise is shear stupidity.
You should definitely wear a seatbelt.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That’s the reason I don’t do stoopid stuff on a tractor....
Seat belts save Darwin candidates.
Actually seat belts also save good, intelligent people that make simple mistakes!

It really does happen...

Reactions: 1 users