Here we go kids

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Just a thought to promote critical thinking: If the stated goal is to save lives, why not lower the speed limit on highways to 25mph?

Answer: this is not about saving lives
Since we are both proponents of critical thinking, I assume we both agree that your comment is a classic "red herring fallacy" and not at all persuasive or responsive to the topic.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Reactions: 2 users

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Snopes has partnered with facebook, Snopes is not the arbiter of truths, they are a biased group with an agenda
Do you have actual counter-evidence to offer, or are you just resting on unsupported conspiracy accusations? I am concerned Yooper might object to such a non-rigorous response ;)

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Do you have actual counter-evidence to offer, or are you just resting on unsupported conspiracy accusations? I am concerned Yooper might object to such a non-rigorous response ;)
I think the point is that the truth isn’t accepted as truth after catching the fact checkers time and time again in lies. If people don’t realize there are biases in play, they simply are ignoring the obvious.

That’s ok, btw. Just don’t think the rest of population will agree. The cat is out of the bag and scratching more and more people to wake them up. :D

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Anyone can do some searching about Snopes and find they have a left leaning. Here's a link that specifically asked questions and reports their answers.

Reactions: 1 user

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Who fact checks the fact checkers

My fact checking is just as valid as Snopes

How many times were we told that there was russian collusion only to find out it was a fabricated story which was leaked and then they used the leaks to verify it and then get FISA warrants based upon lies

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
IF you go to the NRA website, they have a history tab on their page. The short version, it was formed by former military leaders to improve the quality of shooting because when the Civil War broke out many of the northerners had started moving to the cities and didn't have the shooting skills that they still had in more rural areas. So, they developed the NRA to help improve the quality of the shooters.

As far as Snopes and many other 'fact checking' places, they provide the information with their spin on it. Both liberal and conservative sides do this. Thankfully, the good Lord has provide us all with this hat holder that allows us to read through and decide what we should and shouldn't believe. It may involve more work on our part, but many times the reward is worth the work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Who fact checks the fact checkers

My fact checking is just as valid as Snopes

How many times were we told that there was russian collusion only to find out it was a fabricated story which was leaked and then they used the leaks to verify it and then get FISA warrants based upon lies
Still waiting for any evidence for the proposition the NRA was founded to protect freed slaves. I have been a member for 30 years and the snopes assessment is far closer to the story the NRA itself has been telling me all this time. Not liking mainstream media is not proof of the proposition. Yooper must be saddened by this continued lack of critical thinking.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Still waiting for any evidence for the proposition the NRA was founded to protect freed slaves. I have been a member for 30 years and the snopes assessment is far closer to the story the NRA itself has been telling me all this time. Not liking mainstream media is not proof of the proposition. Yooper must be saddened by this continued lack of critical thinking.
Sheesh! Let it go.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Anyone can do some searching about Snopes and find they have a left leaning. Here's a link that specifically asked questions and reports their answers.

It is no doubt a problem if you can't locate the original sources to check something yourself. Forbes and the Daily Mail are right leaning, and not exactly truthful.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
It is no doubt a problem if you can't locate the original sources to check something yourself. Forbes and the Daily Mail are right leaning, and not exactly truthful.
We are in a mess. I know the guys behind this "neutral" site that tries to provide balanced news by calling out starting biases and encouraging the reading both sides and coming to one's own conclusion. While it is a bipartisan effort, it did have roots in a very slightly right-of-center starting point.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
We are in a mess. I know the guys behind this "neutral" site that tries to provide balanced news by calling out starting biases and encouraging the reading both sides and coming to one's own conclusion. While it is a bipartisan effort, it did have roots in a very slightly right-of-center starting point.

Here is another example of false or misleading reporting, described by left leaning Washington Post but likely to be accurate. It is safe to say if some so called piece of journalism gets your blood pressure up, it may not be entirely true. Check! The above brouhaha was based on one donated book seen on one kids bunk. Donor unknown.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
One thing about Snopes - it used to have a section of fake "fact-checks" which it used to make the point that you shouldn't even accept what Snopes said.

To the best of my knowledge, it no longer has that.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As I recall from one of the classes I took at Pitt, most people read the leading headline and about of the first paragraph, and form an opinion just from that

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
As I recall from one of the classes I took at Pitt, most people read the leading headline and about of the first paragraph, and form an opinion just from that
Afraid you're correct. Alas. The titles or headlines are competing with clickbait.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I don't think most people even read the first sentence, let alone the first paragraph, anymore. Just the headline.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I don't think most people even read the first sentence, let alone the first paragraph, anymore. Just the headline.
I'm surprised I read this far into your comment!