Help needed with Tractor Size decision

TagtimeLaserTag

Dec 29, 2013
Yorktown, VA
www.tagtimeparty.com
I've been looking at Kubota's for the last few months and would like some size recommendations. We are building a 20 acre outdoor Laser Tag Battlefield consisting of everything from heavily wooded areas to a tight city layout.

The tractor will be used for the initial site build-out. Clearing / bushhog around and through those areas. Construction and maintenance of a gravel parking lot (for 70 Cars) and a 200' long entrance. I do have access to an excavator for some of the heavier initial site work.

I started looking at the BX's, but worked up to the L3800 due to concerns about maintaining the parking lot and entrance. My concern with the larger tractor is the maneuverability. None of the property will be cleared except for the parking area. Some areas are pretty heavily wooded. We will be acquiring a zero turn mower for the really tight areas. We might be able to keep the sapling growth down with it in the heavily wooded areas as well.

My thoughts;
BX- too small for the gravel parking lot and entrance work. Great for tight areas.
B- ??
L- Great for the initial construction and gravel maintenance, but too big for upkeep in the wooded areas.

Here's a few pictures of what we are building. Just not nearly as open.

Thanks
Brad

Attachments

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Now that looks like FUN !!! :D

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your final choice. If it were me, I would rent big for initial setup, and purchase a B for upkeep & maintenance. My 2 cents.

You can't go wrong with Orange. ;)

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My sons just finished taking their paintball facility down and returned it to woodland use. They used an excavator and our L5030 as well as M8540 for initial site preparation, but maintenance was a bear with the bigger tractors. We have SCUTs and they weren't very good either, a B Series for maintenance would have been ideal.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'd actually consider the BX for general maintenance. It can more easily get around close buildings, trees and obstacles, and is still quite a strong little tractor. You might try rentin g one from Home Depot for a day or two to try one out. Not too much money, well spent if it helps make a decision. I'd also consider renting an L series for a day. If one seems too big, and one too small, or if one is just right, your decision is made.
You are looking at a long term investment, and a fair amount of $$. a couple of % up front to get the right tool is money well spent.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My L is pretty maneuverable but yes not as much as my B.

I think a BX would be small and light for lot work.

My Pick would be a small L or a Large B.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We use our BX2200-2660 for a lot of things, but the low ground clearance be problematic in the woods, we have replaced torn up tie rods on both. We still use them, but are very careful how and where. We can get along with thm as we have other tractors, if we didn't, we would have B Series instead of BX.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
That's a great looking setup.

I don't have experience with the B or BX but my L3800 gets around pretty good in the woods, I have. If your getting a FEL take it off when mowing in or around the woods and that will make it that much easier to maneuver. Its super easy to take off and put back on, once you do it a couple times.

Good luck!

Let us know what you decide.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Oh cool we get to spend somebodies else's money! And hello neighbour to the East.

Maybe a BX25 would be the ticket you need for some site prep and maintenance. I know they are selling quite well and doing more then all the owners have expected them to do.

This can be a tough decision to make until the jobsite is complete and you have a better idea of what you're working with as far as manoeuvrability goes.

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
Im amazed at just how maneuverable my L4600 is in tight areas, that thing will turn SHARP and if you use a separated brake you can spin it around in the tightest of spaces.