Help me fill out my tool set

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Last month, I received my B2601 and it’s great. I have only put about 4 hours on it so far, but in those hours I’ve gotten some tasks done that would have taken me days by hand such as moving a wood chip pile, clearing some downed trees and some logs. I have realized that my tool set is not quite up to the task of helping me do all the little things I want/need to do for maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. I have a good selection of wrenches in both SAE and metric, but my metric wrenches only go up to 19mm and my SAE set goes to 7/8”. Moving over to my sockets, I have full set of 1/4” and 3/8” in both regular and deep for both SAE and Metric, but my 1/2” set falls short and has some gaps. Metric goes to 24mm I believe and SAE to 1”.

My impact set is not as filled out. I have some 1/2” deep metric, with gaps, and a deep metric 3/8” set as well as a regular SAE 3/8” set. I have both a Milwaukee M18 Fuel and a pneumatic 3/8” impact wrenches that I’ve been able to manage with using a 1/2” adapter when needed, but I suspect those days may be nearing an end.

I do most of my own vehicle maintenance, and have been able to get by with mostly hand tools and only use the impact stuff when needed.

So far I’ve found that I have really been missing a short 22mm socket as well as a 22mm wrench. I’m sure there will be others as well, but it appears the bolts attaching the brush guard are 22mm as are the lug nuts. I’ve read that I should look for a socket set that goes to 30mm to be safe and I’ll want to add some larger wrenches too. I also see that some loaders and attachments are SAE. I haven’t measured everything, but so far it seems what I’ve looked at has been mostly metric. I’m alright starting with metric and then adding SAE or for a socket set I have found some decent looking kits that have both SAE and Metric so that would be good as well. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I think you will find that the tractor is mostly metric and attachments are mostly SAE. You should look at the torque specs of the various bolts and buy the torque wrenches to cover all. I had the needed 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 drive to cover everything. Harbor Freight has torque wrenches that are good enough. I went over everything and found that my wonderful dealer torqued nothing correctly.

Reactions: 2 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I think you will find that the tractor is mostly metric and attachments are mostly SAE. You should look at the torque specs of the various bolts and buy the torque wrenches to cover all. I had the needed 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 drive to cover everything. Harbor Freight has torque wrenches that are good enough. I went over everything and found that my wonderful dealer torqued nothing correctly.
Ditto...harbor freight has some good deals on wrenches as well. Their torque wrench is more than adequate and make sure you pick up one of their 1/2" breaker bars.

Also, I've been using their Pittsburgh brand impact sockets and extensions for quite a while. They're really decent and are guaranteed. Excellent value as well.

For your immediate need of a 22 mm wrench, a standard 7/8" should work just fine.

Reactions: 1 users

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Thank you for the tip of going through and checking torque that is probably a good idea to do. I went to remove the grill guard and it was definitely put on with an impact and without the right sockets I was struggling to get leverage while leaning over the loader. It's been raining the last several days so I'll revisit when I can take the loader off to get more leverage. I may just wait until I have a 22mm wrench though.

I'll add:
Things I have:
A good assortment of 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets. In 1/2" drive I have both solid and flex head Gearwrench 120xp ratchets.
I have breaker bars in 3/8" and 1/2"
I do have both 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches.
basic adjustable wrenches that I can use in a pinch, but I prefer using right sized wrenches as I round bolts off less frequently this way.
Flex head ratcheting wrenches in metric up to 19mm
ratcheting and regular combination metric wrenches up to 19mm
ratcheting combination SAE wrenches up to 3/4" and
regular combination SAE wrenches up to 7/8"

Most of my wrenches are old Craftsman USA or Gearwrench. I do have some SK thrown in.
Most of my sockets are old Craftsman USA with some others thrown in from Gearwrench with some Kobalt. I believe I have an incomplete set of HF impacts.

Not sure what else. Honestly, I have most tools I might need, just not large enough.

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The low priced torque wrenches aren't adequate. I don't care if you go to Lowe's (Craftsman) or Harbor Freight but for your loader and wheels you'll need the 250 pound torque wrench. Of course it can be adjusted for lower torques as well. Remember to always adjust it back to zero when finished lest you deform the spring.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Fill in your impact gaps as needed.

Sounds like you have the basics pretty well covered. I don't think it's possible to get "all the tools " you need.

It's more of an ongoing process/struggle/addiction/sickness.

For me, my most used "set" by a wide margin is my Snap-On 3/8 swivel impacts , both metric and SAE.

I don't understand how people live without them? Seriously.......

I even have doubles of the 13, 15 and 18 mm, because even Snap-On sockets break at the most inopportune times, and over the last 30 years I have had to warranty them a few times.

Aside:......I also don't understand how people survive without compressors, .22LR's, welders, air tools Tractors, Trolling motors with GPS, Rum and Cigars....... but those are for different threads.

Edit: After thinking about it, I can't remember ever having to warranty any of my other sockets/wrench's, although probably did......... but I damn sure wore out the 3/8 swivels because I use them so much.

Last edited:

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY

Sounds like you have the basics pretty well covered. I don't think it's possible to get "all the tools " you need.

For me, my most used "set" by a wide margin is my Snap-On 3/8 swivel impacts , both metric and SAE.

I even have doubles of the 13, 15 and18MM because even Snap-On sockets break at the most inopportune times.

Aside:......I also don't understand how people survive without compressors, .22LR's, welders, air tools Tractors, Trolling motors with GPS, Rum and Cigars....... but those are for different threads.
I do have 3/8" metric gearwrench swivel sockets. Love them!

I also have a compressor, some basic air tools, a welder, now a tractor.

I do enjoy a good cigar every now and then, but not often. I enjoy rum, but am more of a bourbon or scotch guy myself.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
A good choice for a balance between quality and price is Tekton. They are sold direct and through Home Depot, Lowes and etc. Most of their products are made in the US and Taiwan.

Also, some important facts (versus popular wisdom) about torque wrenches - especially storage of and loosening with a torque wrench.

https://www.norbar.com/News-Events/...ings-you-should-know-about-your-torque-wrench

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

I even have doubles of the 13, 15 and 18 mm, because even Snap-On sockets break at the most inopportune times, and over the last 30 years I have had to warranty them a few times.

Edit: After thinking about it, I can't remember ever having to warranty any of my other sockets/wrench's, although probably did......... but I damn sure wore out the 3/8 swivels because I use them so much.
I have a swivel set of 1/2" drive 7/16 to 1 1/4" sockets that I use all the time. Sometimes you need a little more oomph then the 3/8 drive impact can give you.

Coupled with a long extension I can get into quite a few hard to reach places with them 👍👍👍👍

Reactions: 1 user

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
A good choice for a balance between quality and price is Tekton. They are sold direct and through Home Depot, Lowes and etc. Most of their products are made in the US and Taiwan.

Also, some important facts (versus popular wisdom) about torque wrenches - especially storage of and loosening with a torque wrench.

https://www.norbar.com/News-Events/...ings-you-should-know-about-your-torque-wrench
Apparently, I've been storing my torque wrenches wrong for years. 🤯

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Apparently, I've been storing my torque wrenches wrong for years. 🤯
Storing at zero and and the advice never to loosen with a torque wrench - you hear both all of the time, but the real experts do not agree.

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
I've always gone with the advice of "If you need to barrow it three times, it's time to buy your own". Other that that, I build my tool sets as I need them.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

I’d add pocket knife to your list of not understanding how people live without.

Reactions: 3 users

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I will add one thing a Cordless 1/2" impact gun is amazing, it is possibly my most used power tool I'm into the ridgid brand but if y ou are into the milwakke or dewalt battery line then they are probably superior. I haven't used my pneumatic impact since I bought it a few years ago. And with a step down adapter ad its multiple torque/:speed settings it'll do most tasks im.sure others will disagree

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Honestly, sounds like you have most of the tools you need, other than larger sockets.

I have a B2601. I have a similar set of tools to you. I didn't buy bigger sockets. I bought a big shifting spanner. I know, evil and all. But I don't do a lot with the bigger bolts. I've had to fix nothing on it, so I've had no real need to have a tool that fits every size bolt on the tractor. And if something does go wrong....the big shifting spanner will deal with most things. If it turns into a regular thing I'll buy the tool then.

What you do need though are chain hooks and a good lifting chain.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When buying socket get 6 point in the larger size for the strength.

You might consider adding the larger sizes in 3/4 drive to get the extra strength and length of the larger size ratchets and breaker bars. Those larger bolts can be difficult to break loose sometimes.

One special tool to get is some sort of thread pitch and bolt (nut) measuring tool. Usually you can get the cheaper plastic ones for the smaller (less than 1.0 (25 mm) size fasteners but I have never seen them for larger size fasteners.

The mixture of thread styles and sizes makes it difficult to see what you need easily.

And Kubota seems to really like fine or extra fine metric thread pitches so you won’t have a spare fastener laying around to measure with.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Add an assortment of 1" & 2" various-length pipes for when you need that extra pulling power.