Help me decide

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I do most of my own maintenance on my vehicles and outdoor power equipment and plan to continue this trend. I have most tools I would need, but I may need to get different filter wrenches or a nicer grease gun as I anticipate I'll be using a grease gun significantly more often.

It seems the general consensus is that I should consider more a larger tractor. This is something I'll chat with my SO about today. Realistically, I anticipate we will probably not buy more property for another many years and will likely be at our current property for at least another 15 years. When we do buy more land, we want woods so even though a larger tractor may be useful, we would have to keep it smallish to get through the woods. Probably one step bigger than the B would be the biggest we would want unless something major changes.

For the projects I have need of now, a subcompact would be more than sufficient and the only reason I ruled the BX out was the low lift capacity, so the B is one frame size larger than what I would get if I were going with say a JD. I feel the B2601 is sufficient, but I also don't want to buy too small and regret so I'll give some thought to this.
For greasing,....buy yourself a DeWalt or Milwaukee, battery powered grease gun, and get a "lock-N-Lube" connector as well.
All tractors have a bunch of zerks!
There is no tool quite like an 18V grease gun!
............SO EASY to use!

Reactions: 1 users

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Well, still waiting on my tractor... I did pick up a chain and have a ballast box now. I also grabbed a temporary garage. I'll have to see how everything fits, but right now I have one small garage with my lawn tractor, snow blower and some other tools and attachments in. Then my splitter and garden tractor just have covers. Depending on space, I'll either park my Kubota in the garage and move the other items to the temporary garage or vice versa. My long term plan is to build a lean to or shed to house the other equipment.

I also ordered a LocknLube attachment. I will probably want to get a new grease gun, but I figured I'd wait until I had the manuals in hand and could look at the recommended grease. I just want to know if I will need multiple types of grease or I can get by with one. I was then considering the Lube Shuttle system or possibly the M18 or M12 grease gun as I already have both Milwaukee systems already.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well, still waiting on my tractor... I did pick up a chain and have a ballast box now. I also grabbed a temporary garage. I'll have to see how everything fits, but right now I have one small garage with my lawn tractor, snow blower and some other tools and attachments in. Then my splitter and garden tractor just have covers. Depending on space, I'll either park my Kubota in the garage and move the other items to the temporary garage or vice versa. My long term plan is to build a lean to or shed to house the other equipment.

I also ordered a LocknLube attachment. I will probably want to get a new grease gun, but I figured I'd wait until I had the manuals in hand and could look at the recommended grease. I just want to know if I will need multiple types of grease or I can get by with one. I was then considering the Lube Shuttle system or possibly the M18 or M12 grease gun as I already have both Milwaukee systems already.
If you already have the Milwaukee battery system, you should obviously buy the Milwaukee battery grease gun.
A battery powered grease gun is a wonderful thing!
I have the DeWalt, and love it!.

IMHO it is most important to grease your tractor frequently (and not miss any zerks).
Grease type/brand....not critical!

Reactions: 3 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Grease type/brand....not critical!
My view. You can use high speed grease OK in low speed applications. Using low speed grease in high speed applications is less OK. So I put high speed grease in everything.

Reactions: 2 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Sounds like you have the same dilemma I had about 4 years ago. I like the JD(2032 and 3032 and the Kubota(BX2370 and BX2670). Have about 5 acre's that are actually taken care of(other 20ish woods on a hill). BX2370 is what I ended up buying and that had a loader, mid-mower deck, snow blower, and rotary cutter. It did what I wanted it to do, but, after 2 years was at the dealership looking at cab options(winter in Wisconsin) and found aftermarket cabs are expensive and not a factory fit. So enter the LX2610 HSDC which is so nice to blow snow in my PJ's and mow the grass in the A/C(not as cold as your vehicle gets but definitely nicer than mowing in the sun and 85 degrees out(still hear from my mother its to hot outside to mow). My BX2370 had about 700 hours on it when I traded in and in only went down in value about $4k(more like the new ones went up in price). As for the money you can save for a zero turn over a MMM deck, yes zero turns are faster, but I need to mow on hills and ditches(about 18 degrees is the maximum I will push it). Also no zero turn I could afford has A/C. The bad thing about zero APR is the tendency to go overboard ordering stuff(Yes, backhoe I am thinking of you). But I was/still thinking this is my last tractor so I wanted it to have all the options(third function, rear remotes, top/tilt, and quick hitch). Already had a box blade and back blade, did end up ordering a land plane(1/2 gravel driveway on a hill) and upgraded the rotary cutter. I do think you made the best choice by going with a Kubota from my experience as I have worked on many different brands. My Grandpa had a Ford 9N(should of kept) and my late father had a JD 5420(POS)((could not sell fast enough)) as well as my brother's Pasquali (has not been used since he got a L3240).

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
congrats on your purchase. I have a b2301 for about a year and really like it the only mistake I made was not getting it years ago. a couple of things. when using the ssqa in float make sure your feet are out the way the arms will drop. lock and lube makes the grease job much easier and cleaner. I have the grapple, forks, back hoe, snow blade. 54" bucket. The snow blade is awesome the third function with the hydraulic cyl made snow cleanup easy and fun. The forks get way more use than I thought they would and the grapple and backhoe have saved me time and money. We had three nor-easters within the first month after getting the tractor and lost many large spruce trees. The grapple keeps the logs off of the ground and I build a tractor barn and seaside shed from the lumber my neighbor sawed from the blown down trees. I have loaded tires and studded euro chains. Traction has not been an issue. The smaller tractor can do an incredible amount of work and get around in the bush easier than the L series. I have 17 wooded acres and the B is enough tractor. I am sure you will be very happy with it. They are really an amazing piece of equipment.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Got a call earlier this week. The 3rd function kit was delivered last Friday and should be installed this week. Pallet forks should be in Friday and the grapple is still undetermined, but possibly this week? I'm hoping it does arrive this week so I can maybe take delivery by end of March.

Reactions: 1 user

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Question…
I was looking for information on bolt sizes as I had the thought I may need to get some larger sockets and wrenches. I found a workshop service manual for the B2301 and B2601 dated 2014

I know the B01 series has been around a few years, but I thought I saw something about it changing in 2019. Is the manual I linked above correct for new B01 tractors, or is this for a previous version?

I didn’t hear from the dealer Friday or Saturday so I’m guessing my grapple did not arrive on Friday’s truck. I did order a SpeeCo quick hitch from Good Works Tractors, and started looking at some other items I’ll need to get once I get the tractor such as a diesel fuel can, top link pin and a couple other things like that. The good news is, we just started canine good citizen advanced class with my puppy and we will be at a TSC at least once a week for the next month So it’ll be easy to grab a few things I’ll need. The trick will be to avoid buying more chickens as our current coop can really only accommodate a couple more and in NY you have to buy 6 or more.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota

A battery powered gun makes greasing much more enjoyable. Before I would put it off (then grease everything in sight when I finally got it out). The M12 is nice and easy to get around with. I've also used a Dewault (bulkier, but higher pressure). The M12 will push grease on a cool day here, but I can imagine a situation where you might need more.

I'm pretty OCD and do use two different flavors of grease ("loader (w/ Moly)" and "other"). I've been assured that just using "other" (hi-speed) everywhere would be fine and the main thing is to lube often. Agree don't use the low speed/moly in hi-speed applications.

Also do like the lock-n-lube

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I do not know about today but for several years yanmar made John Deere's small tractors.
I think I saw recently that JD make the tractors now, and just use Yanmar engines (as do many other manufacturers - they're good engines).

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
That rules out most John Deere tractors as well.
John Deere has been making almost all of their own machines since 2017. They will likely still use Yanmar engines, but nothing wrong with that. No it doesnt rule them out.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Just got off the phone with the dealer and they had my tractor in the shop getting the 3rd function kit installed and they just got the grapple in and pallet forks should have shown up last week so I should be able to get it very soon! Sales rep was out so I'll have to wait to hear back to see when I need to sign the paperwork and when I can get my tractor delivered.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Does anyone know if there's a backlog or delay in R14 tires? Dealer told me they got the 3rd function kit in and installed, and both the grapple and pallet forks are in. The only thing they haven't gotten yet is the R14 tires I wanted. The tractor has R4s installed right now. Just wondering if anyone else has been unable to get R14 tires for a B01 series.

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Got a call today, my dealer said they were getting another B2601 transferred from another dealer with R14 tires and once it arrives they will swap the wheels and tires and mine will be ready to go!

I stopped and picked up a diesel can and a top pin for my quick hitch this afternoon.Question, category 1 quick hitch uses a 3/4" top pin correct? I bought a 3/4" pin, but it felt like it was going to be just a touch too big to fit my speeco quick hitch. Are they normally stupid tight?

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Got a call today, my dealer said they were getting another B2601 transferred from another dealer with R14 tires and once it arrives they will swap the wheels and tires and mine will be ready to go!

I stopped and picked up a diesel can and a top pin for my quick hitch this afternoon.Question, category 1 quick hitch uses a 3/4" top pin correct? I bought a 3/4" pin, but it felt like it was going to be just a touch too big to fit my speeco quick hitch. Are they normally stupid tight?
Cat 1 is 3/4”, cat 2 is 1”

soloz2

Equipment
B2601
Feb 10, 2023
WNY
Exciting news to post!
Got a call Wednesday they were able to have another B2601 with R14’s sent to them and they would swap the tires so I was ready to go. Swung over after work yesterday afternoon to sign the paperwork and go through everything. Afterwards we ran to Lowe’s and grabbed 100 bricks since they were on sale for .25 each making 100 only $25. Easy ballast that I can adjust as needed.
Dealer dropped my tractor off this morning! So far I used the pallet forks and the grapple. I’ve got to admit, it was amazing being able to just unload the entire pallet with 100 bricks on it out the back of my truck instead of unloading the bricks by hand! I got my quick hitch and ballast box installed and then cleaned up the 3 smaller downed trees in my back yard.

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users