Help! Dazed and confused!

ufcxl

Aug 22, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just bought a small ranch (80 acres). So many telling what I don't want in a tractor. Can someone advise me on a good intro tractor. Uses: pasture mowing (would like to use at least a 6 ft but would prefer 8-10 shredder), dirt moving. Would like to be able to move round bales around either with front end loader or with the back lift.

I don't want to undersize off the bat but can't afford to much (still poor from teh purchase). What HP, etc. I have spent many hrs on other peoples tractors but did not focus on the size so I'm clueless.:confused:

Any thoughts?

DBCSteve

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL, box scraper, Artillian forks & grapple, GR 2120 mower
Jul 23, 2011
Snohomish, WA
How will you be using your 80 acres? It's one thing if you have 10 acres to mow / hay and do some road maintenance, and another if the tractor will see multiple uses on the full acreage. Give us a better idea how much use you see the tractor will get. Also, give us an idea of your budget and the initial "gotta have" features like a FEL.

Last edited:

ufcxl

Aug 22, 2011
Dallas, TX
initially, I'll be mowing about 10-20 acres. I have a 25 acre pasture I plan to have planted in bermuda for hay production (contracted out). Balance will be mostly native pasture/unmowed for wildlife.

Must have's: Mower, FEL, blade.

I will not be doing any heavy ag production that I'll need to drag a big disc for. Mowing would be mainly around the fenses and front pasture (10+ ac).

FEL/blade for doing some light dirt work around the tanks and creek (well they were tanks before the drought, now just holes in the ground)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
One thing is for sure and most of us here can all agree on. When in doubt go bigger! Alot of us on here wish we had a larger tractor to get things done. Sounds to me like you could use a tractor in the 50-60 horse power range to suite your needs. You seem to have a general idea on the task's that you want your tractor to preform, but keep in mind future needs. Say a storm comes threw and drops a few trees, more then likely you'll trun to the tractor for help cleaning up. Owning 80 acres of land come with a lot of chores.

I noticed you say some people have mentioned some of the things you "DONT" want in a tractor. What have people told you to steer clear of and why?

Take a look at Tractor House and look at the Kubota M series of tractors. Maybe there will help you make a decision.

www.tractorhouse.com

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
Another good question is how much do you want to spend, do you have cash or are you financing. Kubota has 0% financing so it's almost free money. I bought a MX4700 with a FEL and a few other things, it handles a 6' 3point bush hog just fine, I have heard that a pull behind type mower can be larger (book says 8ft pull behind) so maybe that or the Mx5100 a bit more power and few other goodies in the same size. For mostly mowing with only occasional dirt work either of these will work fine, mine I have a skid steer quick attach and have (homemade) forks to move hay with, I move 6'x6' hay bales with no effort.

DBCSteve

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL, box scraper, Artillian forks & grapple, GR 2120 mower
Jul 23, 2011
Snohomish, WA
Check what your neighbors are using, talk with them a while and maybe get some seat time on their rigs. You said you don't have much $$, so a good used 30+ HP model might work for what you'll need the first few years. Can always trade up as your needs and experience increase.

But it's gotta be orange!

Richardlu

Equipment
m 5700 and L 245DT
Jul 31, 2011
Dumas, AR, United States
I have a m5700 and fourty acres which I really like and have had for about eight years, it works great but like many others if I had it to do over I would go for more horsepower. Just so I could use a bat-wing mower and a larger dirt pan to clean out the pond during dry spells. Also if possible get one with a cab, it sure is nice to keep cool and out of the dust and insects. Mine has saved me from yellow jackets a couple of times not to mention the Mosquito's and horse flies.:D

ufcxl

Aug 22, 2011
Dallas, TX
Sounds like 50hp is the target minimum hp. Despite orange being the color of our arch rival, I do like the brand (I'll just say it's Tennessee orange, not the other ut). Spent many hours in the seat of what turns out to be a 30hp Kabota. As someone said, could start there and trade up but I'll try to reach higher if possible. Probably in the "used" catagory (don't want my tractor to be worth more than my truck).

Thanks for the insights. Will also check out the new models for comparision as well.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like 50hp is the target minimum hp. Despite orange being the color of our arch rival, I do like the brand (I'll just say it's Tennessee orange, not the other ut). Spent many hours in the seat of what turns out to be a 30hp Kabota. As someone said, could start there and trade up but I'll try to reach higher if possible. Probably in the "used" catagory (don't want my tractor to be worth more than my truck).

Thanks for the insights. Will also check out the new models for comparision as well.
Please don't compair our beloved Orange to Tennessee orange. That's like a kick in the nuts to the ones of us that live near Tenn. and have to be around their fans.

I wouldn't go down to a 30 hp tractor if you are planning to handle rolled hay. I have a L 3000 and I do move rolls but it's really to much for the tractor. I can't roll a fully packed 4x5 roll and move it. It will handle a 5' with the density turned down but then the rolls are squatty. A good tight 4 1/4 - 4 1/2' x 4' is all my tractor wants and even then I have a 500# box scrape with another 200# of weight hanging on it just to keep the rear tires planted. I don't reccomend anyone to plan on handling hay with a tractor this small.

I would say no lower than 40 hp to even start to be able to safely handle hay. I have about 100 acres of pasture and hay fields, speaking from experience you don't want to keep it up with a 30hp tractor. I wouldn't want lower than a 50hp but a 60 or 70 would be even better. The old M 6800 would be a great machine for you. It has a nice size FEL, has the power to run a hay mower or baler and in normal height grass I think it would handle a batwing mower.