Help D1105 engine hard to start

B Foltz

Equipment
5640 su f2560 mower
Jul 26, 2018
Marshfield
Help I have run out of things to try. I have a 3cyl 1105 25 hp diesel that will crank but wont fire off. extended cranking it will fire off and run just fine. it has 1900 hrs and has blow by. the pump is good both lift and injection. as it cranks smoke comes out exhuast. sounds like it is trying to hit on one cyl. I have taken all the glow plugs out and tested them they all are good. the machine is a front deck mower F2560. I have owned it for 3 years and noticed it gertting hard to start at the end of last season now it takes two batteries to get it fired off. any sugestions? thanks

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Help I have run out of things to try. I have a 3cyl 1105 25 hp diesel that will crank but wont fire off. extended cranking it will fire off and run just fine. it has 1900 hrs and has blow by. the pump is good both lift and injection. as it cranks smoke comes out exhuast. sounds like it is trying to hit on one cyl. I have taken all the glow plugs out and tested them they all are good. the machine is a front deck mower F2560. I have owned it for 3 years and noticed it gertting hard to start at the end of last season now it takes two batteries to get it fired off. any sugestions? thanks
You say it has blow by, so first step should be compression check, but may be too late.

B Foltz

Equipment
5640 su f2560 mower
Jul 26, 2018
Marshfield
I bought a harbor freight gauge set but it dosent have the correct adapter. does any one know what the compresion should be? I think i will make a adapter for the glow plugs and test it

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If your compression is OK, probably need to check injectors. Take them to a diesel shop that can test. Then you'll know for sure the spray pattern is correct and pop off pressure is also.

If you have to replace any, replace all. Get from Kubota or Oregon Fuel Injection Service. Then you won't wonder if the aftermarket product was good to start with.

B Foltz

Equipment
5640 su f2560 mower
Jul 26, 2018
Marshfield
I bought a harbor freight gauge set but it dosent have the correct adapter. does any one know what the compresion should be? I think i will make a adapter for the glow plugs and test it
Thank you for the specs on cyl psi. I took one of the harbor freight glow plug adaptors and turned the first 1/2 inch to the same as the glow plugs in my d1105 then threaded it the same. that worked great. now for the bad news for me at least my readings at a 10 crank count cold was 320---190---220.

Does anybody know of a good used d1105 or where i can look for one. thanks.