Hearing protection with music when running the tractor? What do you use?

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I’ve read through this thread and am still confused….

How are you guys streaming anything while out in the fields? 20ft from the house I have zero cell reception and only WiFi for about 20ft max. I just wear muffs because I didn’t think I had a music streaming option.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT

How are you guys streaming anything while out in the fields? 20ft from the house I have zero cell reception and only WiFi for about 20ft max. I just wear muffs because I didn’t think I had a music streaming option.
I have cell reception, but if you didn’t, you could download music while you had reception and play back later.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have cell reception, but if you didn’t, you could download music while you had reception and play back later.
I never stream music. I listen to mp3 files on my phone or a USB stick.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My son bought me the work tunes for Christmas. I haven’t used them on the tractor yet, but did stream some radio stations wearing them around the house. Then it occurred to me that if I’m mowing for several hours listening to music, my cell phone battery would be drained. So I installed a USB charging port on the tractor.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Thanks fellas, I guess I am not that organized! I like my hard talking, potty mouthed country a little on the wild side which means terrestrial radio is out!

• Haha

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The ISO Tunes ear muffs are Bluetooth 4.2 so you can listen to tunes on your phone. Right?
i don’t know if they are Bluetooth 4.2, but you can listen to the tunes on your phone or any other Bluetooth device.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The ISOtunes headphones showed up today and I have them charging. I did a quick fitment test and overall they feel good but they could do with padding on the underside of the "bridge" for want of a better word. Maybe they're supposed to be worn with a hat or beanie. I'll be using them the next time I need to clear snow.

It warmed up to 45F yesterday which is just about the worst kind of day we can have since a bunch of snow melts and then freezes overnight. The common driveway is an ice rink at the moment. :( I need to get the Herd seeder/gritter figured out. I'm not prepared for sand/grit this year! :mad:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Just wanted to give another shout out to the Isotunes Pro 2.0 that I bought (two sets) after reading recommendations in this thread. I spent 16 hours or more driving an LMTV this past weekend and wore the Isotunes Pro 2.0 the entire time which allowed me to listen to music and to the GPS on my phone without having my hearing ruined by the cab noise. My only complaint is that I wish that the music were a little louder. With the volume maxed out it's still a little soft for my liking but good.

I wore the Isotunes Pro 2.0 for 16 hours cutting a friend's fields this past summer also with good results so I feel that they were worth the cost.

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
My only complaint is that I wish that the music were a little louder. With the volume maxed out it's still a little soft for my liking but good.
I use isotunes for tractor work, framing with a nailer and saw, routering, etc and they are great. The music volume is limited to 80dB which is a safe level for 8 hour usage. But I agree it's a little low. I think that's a reflection of how badly I abuse my hearing in everyday usage!

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Most apps (Spotify, Apple, Youtube Music, Amazon) have the ability to download the songs to your phone. You can also do this with Audiobooks and similar apps.

I use Bose QC earbuds...they are amazing for noise cancellation and not getting hung up on chin straps (forestry helmet, etc). I can also wear any manner of hat or cap with them as well as sun glasses without an over the ear pad pressing the eyeglasses into my skull behind the ear. Expensive but so far 2 years old and still working great.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I use isotunes for tractor work, framing with a nailer and saw, routering, etc and they are great. The music volume is limited to 80dB which is a safe level for 8 hour usage. But I agree it's a little low. I think that's a reflection of how badly I abuse my hearing in everyday usage!
I just checked Isotunes' website and they mention 85dB maximum sound level for 8 hours which is an OSHA standard, but I appreciate you pointing that out and making me check on it. Good to know, but I kind of wish that I was able to choose how loud and how long.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I just shifted from Bose QC2 earbuds to Apple earpod pro. Smaller, less weight and great integration with my Iphone. I can hear my media at a lower volume level when mowing.

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
I use the Isotunes Pro 2.0 ear buds. I really like them. Pair them to my phone via bluetooth and listen to spotify. If I'm in a bad reception area, which is often, I have a lengthy 200+ song playlist on spotify that I have already downloaded to my phone (nice feature!) so reception is never an issue.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I was,using the ISO Tunes ear buds but for some reason the right earbud keeps falling out of my right ear regardless of what size foam I use so I switched to these

So far so good. Tight enough to keep the noise out but not tight enough to be uncomfortable.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
OK Have seen thread cant hold back any more ear plugs that all so you can hear you equipment AND Listen for noise changes. I want to know what happening. Guess im old school

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I was,using the ISO Tunes ear buds but for some reason the right earbud keeps falling out of my right ear regardless of what size foam I use so I switched to these

So far so good. Tight enough to keep the noise out but not tight enough to be uncomfortable.
I have the same problem with ear buds. No way I'd spend the money to get the Apple ones. Be my luck to lose em right off the bat, that's why I go with work tunes. That way when they get snagged on a tree limb and I run over them with the shredder I don't feel as bad.