Hearing protection with music when running the tractor? What do you use?

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
I don't know guys, it seems like if you put a sound into your ears that is louder than what you are trying to block out you are damaging your ears.
You have different tunes coming on that are louder and more abrupt than you can control so you are damaging your hearing, the only way I know of actually protecting your hearing is ear muffs or plugs and in most cases both.
Now if you want to listen to music while operating a piece of equipment then you are endangering yourself and anyone who may get near you because your mind is somewhere else and not on what you are doing, you need eyes and ears to safely operate any equipment, not listening to music.
Now operating a walk behind or even a zero turn or plowing long rows in a field while listening to music should not be a problem, but if you are working near any obstacle or people then you need to take that music device and put it away.

Sorry to be negative, but that is the facts.
Those are the facts if you aren't aware of either or both passive and active noise canceling. Neither are new technology. Adding speakers to listen to music or whatever on either is also not new technology.

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
I picked up the Isotunes PRO 2.0 yesterday and tried them out today while mowing at 2,300 rpm. They did a great job of mitigating the sound of the MX and rotary cutter while allowing me to listen to music that was more than loud enough. The only issue I had was the cord behind my neck. I found that when I turn my head the cord would sometimes stick to my neck and try to pull an earpiece out of my ear. I'll try clipping the cord to the back of my shirt or my hat. That should help.

Overall I'm pleased with the purchase after using one of the pairs for about an hour.

View attachment 63409
I recently bought these and like them a lot. Great on the tractor and while using a chainsaw. Microphone is not bad for phone calls as well, although I turned off the tractor for the call.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Isotunes Pro keep coming out of my ear canals, no matter the size of foam I use or the adjustment I make to the wire that wraps around my ear. When I sweat they will fall out. I am returning them.
Trying these now.

I have the apple AirPods Pro for working out but they are too expensive to use outside in the woods. We will see how these work!
It can be a challenge finding something that works well, particularly with ear buds.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
if your airpods are falling out of your ears, you can slip covers on them. I use two sets of airpods. Use the first set for first 4 hours, when the battery goes dead, put in second set, while 1st recharges.

The great thing about them is you can have them actively noise cancel for quiet, or switch modes for sound pass through (transparency). Air pod batteries suck but I tried the alternatives out there, and always end up back to air pod pros.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
if your airpods are falling out of your ears, you can slip covers on them. I use two sets of airpods. Use the first set for first 4 hours, when the battery goes dead, put in second set, while 1st recharges.

The great thing about them is you can have them actively noise cancel for quiet, or switch modes for sound pass through (transparency). Air pod batteries suck but I tried the alternatives out there, and always end up back to air pod pros.

Mine stay in no problem. Its everything else I can’t get to stay. AirPod pros are awesome I agree. If these I linked work I might use them because they are 1/2 the cost. I tend to loose these things in the woods on the sides of rocky ridges clearing timber!

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Finally used my Isotunes Pro 2, cannot believe I waited that long. That horrendous hydro wine
dissapeared, Worked great

Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I'm boring I guess. I just use plain plugs, no sound...

Reactions: 1 users

Jester67

Jun 6, 2020
USA
I tried the Isotunes pro 2.0 and did not like them at all the cord was short ( would work great in an industrial application) and I would have liked them to be active noise canceling where I could hear when the noise level was low. I found I had to remove them to have a conversation and then put them back in with my dirty hand ( you need to pinch/roll the ear foam to install) I wish they worked like my shooting muffs but with music :D.

Hot Rod

Equipment
Kubota B2620
Jul 31, 2021
Random, You are not boring, you are smart, music and operating equipment doesn't mix and i don't care what anyone says about some new fangled contraption, taking your mind off of what you are doing by listening to music is wrong.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Random, You are not boring, you are smart, music and operating equipment doesn't mix and i don't care what anyone says about some new fangled contraption, taking your mind off of what you are doing by listening to music is wrong.
do you listen to music while operating a car or riding a bike? what about cabbed machine with radio from the factory?

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I can see a difference between listening to music with your ears plugged vs. not plugged.

I just never really got into listening to music when I'm doing most things. A lot of people at work do it, doesn't work for me. I even knew a guy who listened to talk radio as he worked. I couldn't write code like that. (And his showed it, IMO)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have a thread about the new MX6000 with cab and I mentioned installing a Kenwood receiver earlier in the week. After moving snow around for 45 minutes or so yesterday with music playing through the factory speakers I noticed that my ears were "weary". The combination of engine noise with music loud enough to hear over the engine became too much after a while.

Today I decided to use the ISOtunes PRO2.0 "noise-isolating" earbuds (bought months ago) connected via Bluetooth to my phone and I have to admit that it was much more pleasant. I could play the music at a lower volume and could barely hear the engine. When I was done my ears were fresh as a daisy. I even figured out that the wire connecting the earbuds should be in front of my neck rather than behind it. I think that they were a good investment and no doubt I'll use them a lot when running the tractor.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Matt Ellerbee , way back you mentioned getting both the ISOtunes earbud and muff type. Have you figured out which you prefer? I wasn't keen on the idea of muffs when sitting on a tractor in the summer (too hot) but now I have a cab that can be whatever temperature I want it to be so I might revisit the idea of muffs. Is the sound quality decent?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
@Matt Ellerbee , way back you mentioned getting both the ISOtunes earbud and muff type. Have you figured out which you prefer? I wasn't keen on the idea of muffs when sitting on a tractor in the summer (too hot) but now I have a cab that can be whatever temperature I want it to be so I might revisit the idea of muffs. Is the sound quality decent?
Yes, I have both. And after trying them, I prefer the muffs. But maybe I need to swap the foam bits on the buds, inside my ear hurts after 30 min or so.
Like you said, the volume can be much lower and still hear engine/around you noise.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes, I have both. And after trying them, I prefer the muffs. But maybe I need to swap the foam bits on the buds, inside my ear hurts after 30 min or so.
Like you said, the volume can be much lower and still hear engine/around you noise.
I ordered a set of muffs this afternoon after I asked you about them. :ROFLMAO: I figure for $85 it's hard to go wrong, and if I don't like them in the cab I can always use them when running tools in the workshop.

• Haha

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I ordered a set of muffs this afternoon after I asked you about them. :ROFLMAO: I figure for $85 it's hard to go wrong, and if I don't like them in the cab I can always use them when running tools in the workshop.
I keep the buds at work. Will wear them while testing a mower/tractor, chainsaw after repair. Or if I just don’t want to be bothered by anyone!
Muffs stay at home for mowing and tractoring.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I just received those from my son for Christmas. I haven’t used them on the tractor yet, but have streamed a radio station and tried out the phone call interrupt while listening to music. I think it will work well for snow plowing and mowing. But I realized that music streaming will run down my phone charge pretty fast, so I installed a USB charger to address that situation.