Having fun pulling stumps with Backhoe and ripper tooth...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thats my problem. I have a lot of large (not huge) stumps on my property to get rid of. The last one I took out left a massive crater in the yard. Had to pull it outta the hole with my truck and then had a difficult time moving it to an out of the way destination with the kubota. It looks like the ripper wouldnt disturb the area as much as my bucket. Then I also have very rocky ground. Anyone use a ripper in very rocky terrain?
That is certainly my issue.
I want to avoid creating an open pit mine whenever I remove a large stump.
My Kubota loader is rated to lift 3,000 lbs, so moving a stump after removal is not a problem.

Grinding might be the best option for me, and while that will dispose of the stumps, it will also create a bill for grinding stumps (I do not want to buy a grinder).

A stout ripper may not be quite as easy to use, but I will have no grinding bill, and will have a ripper tool, that can be readily sold to another Kubota TLB owner, if I so choose.

I do not have ANY rocks, but certainly would expect a ripper to work well in rocky ground.

Reactions: 1 user

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Removed the stump, big roots, backfilled and raked, to carrying off debris about 45 minutes.

Many variables digging stumps. Guesstimate ripper is about 5X quicker than bucket, 5X less ground disturbance. Fun priceless.
With the KX quick attach two minutes max for changing buckets.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Removed the stump, big roots, backfilled and raked, to carrying off debris about 45 minutes.

Many variables digging stumps. Guesstimate ripper is about 5X quicker than bucket, 5X less ground disturbance. Fun priceless.
With the KX quick attach two minutes max for changing buckets.
Appreciate your very positive ripper post.
I am shopping for a root ripper for my L48.

How deep will yours dig?
I am currently considering a 28" depth one, made by "Ox Thumbs" in Carrollton, GA..
It ain't cheap at $1,000 - phone quote- , (yours sells for $1133?) but think I can make good use of it.

I too have the Q/A, but am wondering how to store a ripper so that it is standing upright for the Q/A?
The Ox ripper weighs 112lbs.
Too heavy for me to lift.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Appreciate your very positive ripper post.
I am shopping for a root ripper for my L48.

How deep will yours dig?
I am currently considering a 28" depth one, made by "Ox Thumbs" in Carrollton, GA..
It ain't cheap at $1,000 - phone quote- , (yours sells for $1133?) but think I can make good use of it.

I too have the Q/A, but am wondering how to store a ripper so that it is standing upright for the Q/A?
The Ox ripper weighs 112lbs.
Too heavy for me to lift.
You do have a rare L48 with KX QA. Later M59 and current M62 have that option and requires an optional thumb. I had to modify my pin-on OEM with USA Attachments M59 to KX QA and modify the thumb a little. Well worth finding and changing the huge amount of excavator attachments. USA’s 12” and 24” buckets fit and function perfect. Sharp ESCO teeth cut better than the Kubota teeth.

Just measured mine, 24.5” from plate to tip. Mates With thumb well. Longer would lower the breakout some. 6-8” roots the shank can’t break can shredded with 1.5” chisel sharp excavator tooth. The big surface roots I like find and fold back/break to the stump to get them out of the ground. Another advantage of the ripper tracing roots.
A friend and I both did the modifications to our M59s. He did the first. Ordered the rippers after as a package deal and split shipping cost. Got Johnny at USA attachments to throw in extra QA mounting pins. Think if you call and ask for Johnny you will get a better than eBay price. Pleased with their equipment and customer service. Economical shipping and no tax to Tennessee.
2C759B05-F2C2-4D24-A2EF-473FD5141679.jpeg

I use scrap piece of oak 2x6” under the ears to keep the ripper from flopping over when on the ground. Agree much too heavy to lift. No problem attaching at this angle. Might weld on some 1” shackle mount tabs on the quick hitch and not need the block.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You do have a rare L48 with KX QA. Later M59 and current M62 have that option and requires an optional thumb. I had to modify my pin-on OEM with USA Attachments M59 to KX QA and modify the thumb a little. Well worth finding and changing the huge amount of excavator attachments. USA’s 12” and 24” buckets fit and function perfect. Sharp ESCO teeth cut better than the Kubota teeth.

Just measured mine, 24.5” from plate to tip. Mates With thumb well. Longer would lower the breakout some. 6-8” roots the shank can’t break can shredded with 1.5” chisel sharp excavator tooth. The big surface roots I like find and fold back/break to the stump to get them out of the ground. Another advantage of the ripper tracing roots.
A friend and I both did the modifications to our M59s. He did the first. Ordered the rippers after as a package deal and split shipping cost. Got Johnny at USA attachments to throw in extra QA mounting pins. Think if you call and ask for Johnny you will get a better than eBay price. Pleased with their equipment and customer service. Economical shipping and no tax to Tennessee.
View attachment 98852
I use scrap piece of oak 2x6” under the ears to keep the ripper from flopping over when on the ground. Agree much too heavy to lift. No problem attaching at this angle. Might weld on some 1” shackle mount tabs on the quick hitch and not need the block.
My original owner had a bunch of good stuff on the (251 hr) L48.
In addition to BH Q/A, he added a hyd. thumb (custom), that IMHO is better than Kubota.
He also added, a 3rd function, 3 rear remotes, and a remote hydraulic (diverter) locking system for the loader bucket/forks (no dismount).

As you may conclude, I love my L48 (last big toy in life at 82).
Only thing better would be your M59, or an M62, but that ain't gonna happen.

Bucket teeth are a somewhat different issue for me.
Other than a occasional need for roots, my digging is in very sandy soil.
Never a rock bigger than a pea.
As a result I have added a removable (pin on) cutting edge to my 16" bucket. ( can't do that with my 24" bucket, because of teeth arrangement)
By driving out two pins, I can switch between smooth edge and tooth edge.

I appreciate the picture of the thumb on the ground.
I was thinking, ......why not just stick it in the ground,..... when it is outside.
My Kubota and I have separate living arrangements for 6 months of each year (me in FL), and I would prefer to not store the ripper flat on the floor in my building.
I'll figure out something.

Thanks for the heads up.
I may give Johnny a call, though I am really leaning toward the "Ox" extra depth at 28"

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Fried1765, when you feel that you are too old to own the L48 tractor, let me know and I will exchange some folding paper ($$$$$$$) with you for it. (y)

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Fried1765, when you feel that you are too old to own the L48 tractor, let me know and I will exchange some folding paper ($$$$$$$) with you for it. (y)
[/QUOTE

Well...... at nearly 82-1/2 I am certainly slowing down, .......but I ain't givin up.
From my perspective, I believe that whoever gets the L48 TLB will be dealing with either of my sons (56 & 51).
Neither uses it yet, so maybe they will eventually sell.
To date, I have passed both my mom and dad's age by over a year.
One day at a time, and trying to keep my frustration level....low.... it's tough!

As an interesting aside: From comparables listed on the internet, my L48, (kinda tricked out), appears to be worth at least 30% more than when I bought it, almost 4 years ago,...... and it may have been even better last year.
My other "investments" have not done nearly as well.

We only live a couple of hours apart.
I suppose you'll want my 20' 14K trailer too?

Last edited:

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
Have you tried digging around the tree and pushing it over? This seems to work best for me. I let the weight of the tree pull the stump up. I've been able to remove some pretty big trees this way. I also have a woods stump grinder but it gets left in the shop most of the time

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The ripper is AWESOME! Installed the quick connect today and had a lil bit of fun testing it out on a small one. Thanks akadave for the quick connect.
I want a ripper like that, but bigger, and e-mailed B-xpanded.
Unfortunately, they do not make rippers for the larger Kubota hoes.
Kubota dedicated TLB suitable rippers from other sources are $1,200 - $2,000.
I am probably going to buy one, but......OUCH !

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Have you tried digging around the tree and pushing it over? This seems to work best for me. I let the weight of the tree pull the stump up. I've been able to remove some pretty big trees this way. I also have a woods stump grinder but it gets left in the shop most of the time
That sounds like a good time as well. Ill give that a shot next time I'm out.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I want a ripper like that, but bigger, and e-mailed B-xpanded.
Unfortunately, they do not make rippers for the larger Kubota hoes.
Kubota dedicated TLB suitable rippers from other sources are $1,200 - $2,000.
I am probably going to buy one, but......OUCH !
That is steep, but I am sure you get your monies worth and have plenty of fun while doing it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That is steep, but I am sure you get your monies worth and have plenty of fun while doing it.
[/QUOTE

It certainly seems to me like it will avoid much of the bucket digging mess for stump removal.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Just using mine on the two stumps I dug out today I did notice it was quicker and limited the ground disturbance that my 16" bucket would've caused. We will see how it fairs on some of the larger oak stumps I have to remove.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Just using mine on the two stumps I dug out today I did notice it was quicker and limited the ground disturbance that my 16" bucket would've caused. We will see how it fairs on some of the larger oak stumps I have to remove.
I noticed the same thing.

Having done stumps both ways, the ripper tooth is the hands down winner for me so far.