Having fun pulling stumps with Backhoe and ripper tooth...

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Have you tried digging around the tree and pushing it over? This seems to work best for me. I let the weight of the tree pull the stump up. I've been able to remove some pretty big trees this way. I also have a woods stump grinder but it gets left in the shop most of the time
Not yet, all the stumps I have encountered have already been cut.

I did however figure out that if you put only one stabilizer foot down, it angles the ripper tooth slightly so that you can cut "under" the stump a little.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
My original owner had a bunch of good stuff on the (251 hr) L48.
In addition to BH Q/A, he added a hyd. thumb (custom), that IMHO is better than Kubota.
He also added, a 3rd function, 3 rear remotes, and a remote hydraulic (diverter) locking system for the loader bucket/forks (no dismount).

As you may conclude, I love my L48 (last big toy in life at 82).
Only thing better would be your M59, or an M62, but that ain't gonna happen.

Bucket teeth are a somewhat different issue for me.
Other than a occasional need for roots, my digging is in very sandy soil.
Never a rock bigger than a pea.
As a result I have added a removable (pin on) cutting edge to my 16" bucket. ( can't do that with my 24" bucket, because of teeth arrangement)
By driving out two pins, I can switch between smooth edge and tooth edge.

I appreciate the picture of the thumb on the ground.
I was thinking, ......why not just stick it in the ground,..... when it is outside.
My Kubota and I have separate living arrangements for 6 months of each year (me in FL), and I would prefer to not store the ripper flat on the floor in my building.
I'll figure out something.

Thanks for the heads up.
I may give Johnny a call, though I am really leaning toward the "Ox" extra depth at 28"
Might want to check your dimensions if you don’t want a longer ripper to hit your boom.
B6878887-0718-412B-AF8E-E3ADA4442329.jpeg

Welded on shackle mounts to tripod the ripper up when off the backhoe so it doesn’t flop on its side. Also handy to attach rigging. Dealing with tree there is always pulling and tugging.
2B6A3669-CAEE-4609-9CC8-E76AAAE8393F.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Might want to check your dimensions if you don’t want a longer ripper to hit your boom. View attachment 99155

Welded on shackle mounts to tripod the ripper up when off the backhoe so it doesn’t flop on its side. Also handy to attach rigging. Dealing with tree there is always pulling and tugging.
View attachment 99156
Not sure what you mean.
With the ripper hanging like the bucket does, how could it hit the (boom?) dipper?
It will hit the thumb, but the bucket hits the thumb too, and that is Ok with me.
The "Manca" rippers ($1,700 + ship) are even longer at 31", and are made for the same Kubota Mini Ex Q/A system.
The OX ripper that I am considering is 28" long.
If it were to hit the ( boom?) dipper somehow, I could just create a physical stop.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Not sure what you mean.
With the ripper hanging like the bucket does, how could it hit the (boom?) dipper?
It will hit the thumb, but the bucket hits the thumb too, and that is Ok with me.
The "Manca" rippers ($1,700 + ship) are even longer at 31", and are made for the same Kubota Mini Ex Q/A system.
The OX ripper that I am considering is 28" long.
If it were to hit the ( boom?) dipper somehow, I could just create a physical stop.
The boom is the first, usually curved, attached to the tractor section of the backhoe. Not the dipper, not the thumb.

Longer might work for an excavator.

Good luck.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The boom is the first, usually curved, attached to the tractor section of the backhoe. Not the dipper, not the thumb.

Longer might work for an excavator.

Good luck.

Unfortunately the L48 boom is only very slightly curved.

I doubt that the 28" ripper will curl up far enough to catch the boom though, but if it does, I think I could make a mechanical pin stop for it, or cut the ripper length down just a bit.

The OX ripper that I am considering, is a bit different from the style that you have, and the length could be easily modified.

Thank you for the heads up!
I will take some measurements when I am at the tractor next month.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee

He has a 3’ & 4’ rippers for Kubota miniX with teeth for cheap. Don’t need hits to my boom

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
The smaller ones now only take about 30 minutes after I got better using the ripper tooth.
have you tried leaving the tree intact and digging a bucket or 2 on either side of the base of the tree then push the tree over, popping the rootball right out of the ground using leverage from the intact tree? I do it all the time with my mini ex in 30 seconds for a tree under 12" diameter.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Nope, don't want the trailer, I don't have anything to pull it with. If you investments haven't done very well, you need to find a better advisor. Mine are doing well even when the market drops. I see a drop in the market as a time to buy and not panic. I bought General Mills in the low 50's and it is now in the mid-80s. If it does a pullback to the 70's, I will buy more. Great company with a great potential for growth.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
have you tried leaving the tree intact and digging a bucket or 2 on either side of the base of the tree then push the tree over, popping the rootball right out of the ground using leverage from the intact tree? I do it all the time with my mini ex in 30 seconds for a tree under 12" diameter.

I have not tried that yet.

All the stumps I have encountered have already been cut. (i.e. some one else has been there before me)

I have heard that it works pretty good, like you say.