Having fun pulling stumps with Backhoe and ripper tooth...

mike0000

Equipment
Kubota L3901, RTV900
Sep 15, 2021
Southern Indiana
Nice work, I’m slowly clearing an area on my property for a future shop build. I’m eventually going to need several large stumps removed, wishing I had a backhoe.

Mike

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The mini's only take 10 minutes or so....
That ripper tooth looks great.

I am currently shopping for a ripper to use on my L48 TLB.
My L48 has the Kubota BH quick attach system, which is the same Q/A as the Mini-Ex.
I have some 24"+ stumps, and I dislike the idea of creating an open pit mine with my 16" bucket, to remove them.
I want a ripper that will go to at least 26" depth, ......so while the B-Expanded ripper would not fit my Q/A, it is also too small,..... though I do love the look of that sawtooth configuration.
Larger, rippers for the Kubota Q/A are available, but they are..... expensive!

Am currently looking at a 28" ( "OX" brand- 112 lbs. ) ripper but the price is ...in the OUCH category.
And,...... the "OX" ripper does not have what IMHO is the very desirable B-Expanded sawtooth design.
I can't even attempt to "justify" the expense,....... but may just suck it up, and buy the "OX" ripper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
That looks like it works great. Is that the bxpanded quick connector as well? If so how are you liking it?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That ripper tooth looks great.

I am currently shopping for a ripper to use on my L48 TLB.
My L48 has the Kubota BH quick attach system, which is the same Q/A as the Mini-Ex.
I have some 24"+ stumps, and I dislike the idea of creating an open pit mine with my 16" bucket, to remove them.
I want a ripper that will go to at least 26" depth, ......so while the B-Expanded ripper would not fit my Q/A, it is also too small,..... though I do love the look of that sawtooth configuration.
Larger, rippers for the Kubota Q/A are available, but they are..... expensive!

Am currently looking at a 28" ( "OX" brand- 112 lbs. ) ripper but the price is ...in the OUCH category.
And,...... the "OX" ripper does not have what IMHO is the very desirable B-Expanded sawtooth design.
I can't even attempt to "justify" the expense,....... but may just suck it up, and buy the "OX" ripper.

I don't have pics, but I also tried pulling a 24 incher with a combo of using bucket and ripper tooth.

I knew I had met my match, so I stopped when the hole was about 14 feet in diameter and about 4 feet deep. I just filled it all back in. Took about 7 hours too. LOL

I also really like the saw tooth design. Once you get the hang of it, you can work the tooth basically like a hand saw and make quick work of some pretty decent size "root tentacles".

Paul

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That looks like it works great. Is that the bxpanded quick connector as well? If so how are you liking it?
Yes it is. I love that quick connect. Makes changing bucket to tooth, about a 1 minute job.

The only "problem" I have with it is that the round lynch pin that holds the attaching pin in place kept getting knock off by the dirt.

Once I found the right size, it no longer gets knocked off. I'll try to post pics of what I mean later, it's kind of hard to describe.

Paul

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes it is. I love that quick connect. Makes changing bucket to tooth, about a 1 minute job.

The only "problem" I have with it is that the round lynch pin that holds the attaching pin in place kept getting knock off by the dirt.

Once I found the right size, it no longer gets knocked off. I'll try to post pics of what I mean later, it's kind of hard to describe.

Paul
If yours is similar,....you might try this...
I no longer use the lynch pins on my Q/A buckets.
I use a properly sized bolt, with two hand tightened nuts.

It is certainly not as convenient, but if I loose my bucket pin in a big pile of dirt, it is $100 for a replacement pin, and several days to get it.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If yours is similar,....you might try this...
I no longer use the lynch pins on my Q/A buckets.
I use a properly sized bolt, with two hand tightened nuts.

It is certainly not as convenient, but if I loose my bucket pin in a big pile of dirt, it is $100 for a replacement pin, and several days to get it.

I thought about that, but by coincidence, I lost a pin and the replacements 'ring part' was so tight that I have to tap it with the butt of my pocket knife to get it on. I haven't lost it yet.

Paul

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't have pics, but I also tried pulling a 24 incher with a combo of using bucket and ripper tooth.

I knew I had met my match, so I stopped when the hole was about 14 feet in diameter and about 4 feet deep. I just filled it all back in. Took about 7 hours too. LOL

I also really like the saw tooth design. Once you get the hang of it, you can work the tooth basically like a hand saw and make quick work of some pretty decent size "root tentacles".

Paul
I am wondering if I might be able to cut some sharp teeth into the one inch thick "OX" ripper (400 Hardox).
I'm think'n maybe,....... with a 4" angle grinder, and using a few thin blades?

Last edited:

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT

Paul
Thanks much appreciated

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks for p[osting & Lots of stumps here @ my place

So far I have been doing them the hard way or letting them rot "a while" before tackling them (not optimal) I have done the massive pit deal when I get on the warpath, but a ton of work and hard on the backhoe It's probably not in the grand scheme of things but it feels like it.

Makes sense to go with the quick attach but do you have to? I did not think I would be switching as I a very happy with the 16"

Edit - I have researched the woodland grinder and think that would be more useful but more expensive as well

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I find that grinding them is faster and less expensive than breaking the Kubota. I used to dig them out, but then getting rid of them became a problem. I usually dig around them partially so the grinder doesn't hit any rocks and they are ground about 10" below the surface.

Reactions: 1 user

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Thats my problem. I have a lot of large (not huge) stumps on my property to get rid of. The last one I took out left a massive crater in the yard. Had to pull it outta the hole with my truck and then had a difficult time moving it to an out of the way destination with the kubota. It looks like the ripper wouldnt disturb the area as much as my bucket. Then I also have very rocky ground. Anyone use a ripper in very rocky terrain?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am wondering if I might be able to cut some sharp teeth into the one inch thick "OX" ripper (400 Hardox).
I'm think'n maybe,....... with a 4" angle grinder, and using a few thin blades?
Sounds doable to me. The only real experience I have with AR 400 or 500 is some targets I bought from a guy.

I tried to drill larger holes in one plate, but quickly ruined a drill bit and had to switch to the "flame bit"

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I agree that grinding is better in most situations. Especially if you get above a 9 or 10 inch diameter, But the ripper tooth was from my kids for Christmas and the Quick Link was only like $299.

So for the "occasional stump" it works for me.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thanks for p[osting & Lots of stumps here @ my place

So far I have been doing them the hard way or letting them rot "a while" before tackling them (not optimal) I have done the massive pit deal when I get on the warpath, but a ton of work and hard on the backhoe It's probably not in the grand scheme of things but it feels like it.

Makes sense to go with the quick attach but do you have to? I did not think I would be switching as I a very happy with the 16"

Edit - I have researched the woodland grinder and think that would be more useful but more expensive as well
I'm almost 100% positive that you do not have go with the "Quick Connect".

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Ripper really helps tracing and breaking roots. Decreases time and ground disturbance. Compliments thumb well.

It is so much easier to dig around a tree some, push over and let gravity and leverage pop the root ball out. Stumps happen anyways and ripper certainly helps.

Have KX excavator ripper on M59. Tooth and shank good at breaking roots. Teeth on shank could definitely help lower hp machines to break roots. Still on the fence wether cutting or welding teeth on the shank would help.

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
I am experiencing a "benefit" of grinding stumps a few years later. The root braches have decayed leaving "tunnels". Water runoff has turned the tunnels into gorges. 🤬 The time I saved by grinding years ago is now spent opening up these underground gorges and filling them in.

That ripper looks interesting. Does anyone know of a source for one compatible with a Woods BH7500 backhoe?