Have you ever tried this???

Travis

Equipment
B6100D, finish mower, flail mower, back blade, post hole drill
Jan 31, 2015
Everett, PA
Greetings!!

I just did a search with no avail, looking for a post from someone that may have tried to build their own tooth bar for a FEL.

Has anyone ever tried to go out on their own and build their own tooth bar? Any tips or ideas?? I have priced these things outright and they range from $300 to $400. I'm not sure if I would have just as much $ in creating my own as opposed to buying one new. Just thought I would put this out there for discussion.

Thanks for the help!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Greetings!!

I just did a search with no avail, looking for a post from someone that may have tried to build their own tooth bar for a FEL.

Has anyone ever tried to go out on their own and build their own tooth bar? Any tips or ideas?? I have priced these things outright and they range from $300 to $400. I'm not sure if I would have just as much $ in creating my own as opposed to buying one new. Just thought I would put this out there for discussion.

Thanks for the help!
I would not waste my time and energy ............this will fit your needs and I might add - better than could be made at home (unless you have all the tools at your disposal )

http://bxpanded.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=30

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I would not waste my time and energy ............this will fit your needs and I might add - better than could be made at home (unless you have all the tools at your disposal )

http://bxpanded.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=30
Has anyone setup one of these bxexpanded tooth bars on a B219 loader bucket for the B7100D.

Seeing this design has me very interested in ordering one. I'm starting a new project as soon as the frost clears, and this just may be my ticket to getting things done...

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Travis, you can certainly build your own, and you might even come out under $300. The link 85Hokie posted is the one I used to buy my Piranha bar, and what I expected to pay. However, my B6100 bucket is not exactly the same size as the BX bucket, so my order got kicked back and I wound up paying a bit closer to 300 bucks, which I get is your stone wall.

So you're in PA, great, lots of steel (shut down, moved offshore) around. Get some 1/2"x4" steel bar, 4' long, saw and grind the teeth... naw, fugaboutit! Go to a tractor salvage yard and buy some teeth -- six or eight of 'em -- and either weld or bolt them onto your bar. Then weld some ends on the bar that will fit against the sides of your bucket, drill and bolt on your bucket. (See pic)

You might want to weld some 'fins' on the bar to ride over the lip of your bucket, like in the pic.

Be sure and post your progress, and pics!

Attachments

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Has anyone setup one of these bxexpanded tooth bars on a B219 loader bucket for the B7100D.

Seeing this design has me very interested in ordering one. I'm starting a new project as soon as the frost clears, and this just may be my ticket to getting things done...
Yes and no. My B6100DT has the B219 bucket. My bucket was far worse than I realized, and the installation did not go as expected. However, with advice from the folks at BXpanded, I got it installed and it's working great.

Depending on your needs, it prolly will be one of the best choices you make, closely following choosing the B7100D.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'd buy a set of shanks and teeth and either build your own or bolt the teeth right to your bucket.

Do you guys with tooth bars take them on/off often?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
I'd buy a set of shanks and teeth and either build your own or bolt the teeth right to your bucket.

Do you guys with tooth bars take them on/off often?
It was my intention to take the tooth bar off, since I planned to put in a path and a patio, and wanted to back-drag to level and pack it. I'm still working on clearing, but I've found that the Piranha gives me the same smoothing that the bucket lip would do. (I expected the build-up behind the Piranha when back-dragging to be a problem, but it's actually better than back-dragging with the lip - a little smoother, and more compaction.

Oh, to your question: mine hasn't been off yet. Two quick bolts, but now I am uncertain when, if ever it will come off...

SheThinksMyB7100sSexy

Equipment
B7100 backhoe
Nov 28, 2014
York, PA
I know I'm digging up the grave on this post. I just learned about the tooth bars this weekend and will have one! My dealer wants $450+ tax.

I came across this site with various manufacturers
http://www.bxtractors.info/page/Tooth+Bar

I myself was just going to have one of my welding buddies make me one. Better yet, if I can find a spare bucket (depending on price) just weld teeth to it. Does anyone know where and how much b219 buckets are?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
You're kidding, right?

How much is whatever the market will bear: lots more than a tooth bar! By the way, your find for the bxtractors was a good one; too bad you didn't find the bxpanded Website; lots of actual products there, and they are very generous with their advice: BXpanded Piranha tooth bar!

I suppose by asking where buckets are, you mean used? Used buckets are mostly found on CL; sometimes on eBay; or salvage yards. (You might give West Kentucky Tractor Parts a call/email, or try Mid-South Salvage, Inc.)

But a bolt-on tooth bar is much easier to store when not needed than a whole bucket -- especially a bucket with teeth!

But even if you are determined to put teeth directly on a bucket, it's a very bad idea to weld them to the bucket -- weld them on a piece of plate, and bolt or weld that on the bucket. (But welding is so restrictive -- there inevitably comes a time that the teeth are in the way...)

Good luck with whatever choice you make; keep us posted on the outcome (or progress if it's an evolving kind of thing)... and keep in mind what many old-timers (not old like me, but long-time members of OTT) such as skeets and TomCat) say: "Without pictures, it didn't happen!"

Oh, and I hope "she" still thinks highly of your B7100 with teeth, and "she" still has a high opinion of you after your buddy welds teeth on the bucket!

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
At the end of the day, its $56 in steel ( A36 anyways). I could measure up, cut out and buff up a Piranha Bar. I dont even remotely have the time. Between work being flat-out and young kids starting to play sports.... The BXpanded products are worth the money.