Has anyone filled their tires with fluid and regretted it?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: wheel weights.

If you do use them, check OFTEN that the nuts/bolts are TIGHT ! I've got 3 'centers' here with cracks coming from the square holes the 'pie' weights were mounted to. Current theory is the nuts got a little loose and clunk,clink,clunk,.... the stress tore the steel.
yes, an easy fix...zap,zap, grind BUT avoidable IF the nuts had been TIGHT

re: changing loaded tires

Be sure to RESPECT the tire ! If it wants to fall down, let it go! If it wants to roll away, down the hill ,into the thorny brambles, let it go ! THAT's what tomorrow is for.... recovering the 600# beastie that decided to go 'walkabout'. All day, and I swear those tires are getting heavier every year......

Reactions: 2 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I recently acquired an l2501 and added a grapple. It didn't take me long to recognize that some weight in the back would be beneficial. I'm debating filling the tires at some point but I wanted to know if there's any downside to it. Of course I get that the tractor is simply heavier which has its consequences at times but is there anything else?
You will regret it the first time that you have a puncture or other leak.

I use ballast boxes.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I recently acquired an l2501 and added a grapple. It didn't take me long to recognize that some weight in the back would be beneficial. I'm debating filling the tires at some point but I wanted to know if there's any downside to it. Of course I get that the tractor is simply heavier which has its consequences at times but is there anything else?
Filled and happy with all of my tractors. Now marriage took some work.....

Dan

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
Ok so a question for those of you with filled tires. How do you fix a leak? I have a tire shop near by but I doubt they're willing to manipulate a several hundred pound tire and I SURE won't want to try.

Also, I like the idea of adding weight to my box blade. Is there a reason I can't just hang weights on it?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Every tractor I've owned with calcium in the wheels developed leaks, corroded the rims and destroyed tire valves. I didn't load my M59 tires.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I was in the same boat as you and was looking into loading my tires, but with all the mud I have in the woods where I am working, and after talking to some people that own tractors near me, I dont think its a good idea, plus its just gonna rip up my driveway more than it already does with ag tires. (I need a ton more gravel but its too expensive). What I am doing is getting a 55 gallon plastic drum set up with a draw bar and top link connector and fill it with concrete. I still need to fill it up with concrete but Im not sure how much, I think a full barrel is about 900 pounds, but I'm not sure if that is too much.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Ok so a question for those of you with filled tires. How do you fix a leak? I have a tire shop near by but I doubt they're willing to manipulate a several hundred pound tire and I SURE won't want to try.

Also, I like the idea of adding weight to my box blade. Is there a reason I can't just hang weights on it?
Whenever I had a leak / puncture / valve problem I called the local farm tire service guy who does on site service. He comes with a pump and large old inner tube storage bladder, pumps all the stuff into his innertube, fixes the tire, then pumps it back in to my tire. Also has a portable crane for large tires. Messy, heavy work. I'm happy to pay him to skin his knuckles, I skin mine enough on my own.

No reason why you can't add weight onto your box blade provided your tractor can pull it.

Loaded tires do help wth traction and stability. I don't like the mess and corrosion so I just use my backhoe as a counter weight these days for heavy lifts.

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I second all the comments so far. I have loaded rears and the only thing I'll add is chose a non-corrosive alternative. I had an old tractor that had a calcium based fluid and had the same problems mentioned above.
My dealer used a water diluted methanol mix. I had rim guard (beat juice) in an older tractor. It's kind of expensive and a little gross if you have to mess with a tire, but if not for the cost, I would have gone with it again.
I ran my 4701 for a couple weeks without ballast is R4's because I was waiting on R1's to come in and get filled, that tractor could not hardly keep traction in the field with that R4 no ballast set up, so I see it as necessary for my application, where I'm usually hooked up to somthing so a ballast box isn't an option but I need to maintain traction.

Reactions: 1 user

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I second all the comments so far. I have loaded rears and the only thing I'll add is chose a non-corrosive alternative. I had an old tractor that had a calcium based fluid and had the same problems mentioned above.
My dealer used a water diluted methanol mix. I had rim guard (beat juice) in an older tractor. It's kind of expensive and a little gross if you have to mess with a tire, but if not for the cost, I would have gone with it again.
I ran my 4701 for a couple weeks without ballast is R4's because I was waiting on R1's to come in and get filled, that tractor could not hardly keep traction in the field with that R4 no ballast set up, so I see it as necessary for my application, where I'm usually hooked up to somthing so a ballast box isn't an option but I need to maintain traction.
I'm not sure if you have dirt/gravel driveways, but do you find that the loaded r1's rip them up? Im not ruling out loading them in the future, but thats one of main concerns besides sinking in mud. Also anyone loaded theirs with windshield washer fluid, I heard that is an option too, I'm not sure how effective that is.

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I'm not sure if you have dirt/gravel driveways, but do you find that the loaded r1's rip them up? Im not ruling out loading them in the future, but thats one of main concerns besides sinking in mud. Also anyone loaded theirs with windshield washer fluid, I heard that is an option too, I'm not sure how effective that is.
My farm roads are dirt and my driveway is gravel, I haven't had any problems tearing them up , and I haven't had any problems sinking in mud. For my uses, the bigger risk for me is losing traction when Im bushogging or tilling. I typically mow my farm fields in the winter, and it will track up a little from time to time if the ground happens to not be frozen, but nothing that freeze/thaw wont eliminate over the years. Relatively speaking my L4701 isn't that heavy of a machine compared to a larger utility, so I just don't see the same degree of damage. For my purposes I would only want Loaded R1's.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
My farm roads are dirt and my driveway is gravel, I haven't had any problems tearing them up , and I haven't had any problems sinking in mud. For my uses, the bigger risk for me is losing traction when Im bushogging or tilling. I typically mow my farm fields in the winter, and it will track up a little from time to time if the ground happens to not be frozen, but nothing that freeze/thaw wont eliminate over the years. Relatively speaking my L4701 isn't that heavy of a machine compared to a larger utility, so I just don't see the same degree of damage. For my purposes I would only want Loaded R1's.
Okay, good to know. Thank you!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The local dealer puts beet juice in ALL rear tires of any tractor they sell unless the owner specifically asks them not to. I have beet juice and wheel weights on both tractors, and just ordered a third (and final) set of wheel weights for the M6060. I bought the M6060 at a dealer 600 miles from where I live and had the local dealer add beet juice to the rear tires once I had trailered the beast home. I was ok with that since I didn't want to haul 1,000lb of beet juice 600 miles if I didn't have to.

I don't have a ballast box for my tractors and don't see a need for one. I can always hook up to a 900lb implement if necessary, but so far, with the ballast and wheel weights neither tractor has been unstable lifting heavy objects. This disc harrow weighs in excess of 1,000lb, maybe closer to 1,500lb and the M was stable as could be.

m6060_disc_harrow_02.jpg

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Back when I was young, 1970's and 80's, we filled the rear tires with water. In California, freeze was never an issue. Loved the traction.

Now that I'm old and living in freeze conditions, I'd prefer filled tires. But if I need to remove a rear tire, I can't do it myself. With wheel weights or ballast, I can remove 80 or 100 lbs at a time to get into removing a tire.
If you live in non-deep freeze conditions, I'd wager fill the tires with water and call it done. I don't think corrosion would be an issue for 20 years.
Up north, if you're old. I'm going with wheel weights.
If you're up north and young or have a good connection with a tire guy with a truck crane, go beat juice or similar.

Clint from Flint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2350, B26 TLB, Covington Plant., Landpride Tiller, Hustler Flip-up
Dec 12, 2020
Flint, Texas

Hang some suitcase weights on it...problem solved

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Hang some suitcase weights on it...problem solved
Any tire shop that works on AG or equipment tires will fix a filled tire leak (methanol excepted). I found that I can keep the tire upright and roll it onto the trailer. Chain it up to keep upright. If it falls over, you will need some help to upright it.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The local dealer puts beet juice in ALL rear tires of any tractor they sell unless the owner specifically asks them not to. I have beet juice and wheel weights on both tractors, and just ordered a third (and final) set of wheel weights for the M6060. I bought the M6060 at a dealer 600 miles from where I live and had the local dealer add beet juice to the rear tires once I had trailered the beast home. I was ok with that since I didn't want to haul 1,000lb of beet juice 600 miles if I didn't have to.

I don't have a ballast box for my tractors and don't see a need for one. I can always hook up to a 900lb implement if necessary, but so far, with the ballast and wheel weights neither tractor has been unstable lifting heavy objects. This disc harrow weighs in excess of 1,000lb, maybe closer to 1,500lb and the M was stable as could be.

View attachment 84965
You need to use a weight on the rear of the 3 point. If you stop to figure the amount of weight that you are adding to the front axle when used as shown you will quickly realize that you are overloading the axle. The rear weight will transfer some of the weight to the much stronger rear axle.

Yes it will pick up the load but at what cost? Weighted tires and wheel weights improve the stability of the tractor but they do nothing to reduce the strain on the front axle.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You need to use a weight on the rear of the 3 point. If you stop to figure the amount of weight that you are adding to the front axle when used as shown you will quickly realize that you are overloading the axle. The rear weight will transfer some of the weight to the much stronger rear axle.

Yes it will pick up the load but at what cost? Weighted tires and wheel weights improve the stability of the tractor but they do nothing to reduce the strain on the front axle.
The tractor and front axle are designed to handle a loader and nothing in the Kubota docs says you need a counterbalance to unload the front axle. I think this is a total red herring.

One could speculate that by adding a counterbalance you are doubling the effect of the loader and overloading the rear axle.

Dan

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The tractor and front axle are designed to handle a loader and nothing in the Kubota docs says you need a counterbalance to unload the front axle. I think this is a total red herring.

Dan
Why would you want to argue about physics? The weight hanging off the three point will reduce the weight on the front axle. Look at any tractor with a front end loader. All the weight is transferred to the front pivot that holds the axle to the body of the tractor no matter the brand of the tractor. Now move the tractor and drop into a hole or hit a bump the shock load is transferred to the small load bearing surface. The result is wear and tear on a machine that could easily be avoided and prolong the life of the machine.

The additional weight also caused wear on the FWD gears and the weight bearing surfaces of the front spindles. In addition the weight of the 3 point attachment improves the braking ability of the tractor in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Why would you want to argue about physics? The weight hanging off the three point will reduce the weight on the front axle. Look at any tractor with a front end loader. All the weight is transferred to the front pivot that holds the axle to the body of the tractor no matter the brand of the tractor. Now move the tractor and drop into a hole or hit a bump the shock load is transferred to the small load bearing surface. The result is wear and tear on a machine that could easily be avoided and prolong the life of the machine.

The additional weight also caused wear on the FWD gears and the weight bearing surfaces of the front spindles. In addition the weight of the 3 point attachment improves the braking ability of the tractor in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

I am not arguing about physics - in fact it was my major in college. I am suggesting the Kubota engineers designed the front axle to handle the additional loads that come with a front loader. Why would you think otherwise?

Dan