Has anyone filled their tires with fluid and regretted it?

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
I recently acquired an l2501 and added a grapple. It didn't take me long to recognize that some weight in the back would be beneficial. I'm debating filling the tires at some point but I wanted to know if there's any downside to it. Of course I get that the tractor is simply heavier which has its consequences at times but is there anything else?

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I recently acquired an l2501 and added a grapple. It didn't take me long to recognize that some weight in the back would be beneficial. I'm debating filling the tires at some point but I wanted to know if there's any downside to it. Of course I get that the tractor is simply heavier which has its consequences at times but is there anything else?
I didn’t do it but the 8n I had the previous owner loaded the tires. It was fine since I only used it for grunt work but I passed on getting it when I bought my LX. I prefer to just have my 525 pound box blade on the rear for ballast that I can remove when not needed.

Reactions: 1 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I have mine filled and have a 475lb box on the back. Before I threw the box on, I had the ass end lift up on me carrying a full load of downed cedar trees with the forks while on unlevel ground... Never again. Keep in mind, liquid ballast isn't a substitute for a proper ballast on the 3pt.

Reactions: 5 users

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I just got an L2501 and had the rear tires loaded for more weight and more traction but ballast on the 3ph takes some of the load off the front axle when using a grapple or bucket.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Why's that? Not trying to be difficult, just don't know and trying to learn.
No worries, ballast on the tires keeps them planted and provides more weight/better traction but doesn't counterbalance the weight of the loader+ and keep weight off of the front axle like a heavy weight carried behind the rear axle does.

Reactions: 3 users

Virtual Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2501, loader, Land Pride box blade and grapple, John Deere MX5 cutter
Jul 17, 2022
Osage County Oklahoma
I just got an L2501 and had the rear tires loaded for more weight and more traction but ballast on the 3ph takes some of the load off the front axle when using a grapple or bucket.
No worries, ballast on the tires keeps them planted and provides more weight/better traction but doesn't counterbalance the weight of the loader+ and keep weight off of the front axle like a heavy weight carried behind the rear axle does.
Ah yes. I remember Archimedes and his levers. :LOL:

Thanks. So far I have tended to work with my box blade on the hitch but it's just around 350 lbs. Not insignificant when out on a couple feet on a lever arm but still not ideal.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Thanks. So far I have tended to work with my box blade on the hitch but it's just around 350 lbs. Not insignificant when out on a couple feet on a lever arm but still not ideal.
If you want more 3pt. weight you should buy or build a weight box/counterweight.

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan

Yup, the old Greeks were ahead of their time hahaha.

350lb is better than nothing. I'm guessing you have the land pride box blade? I'd do one of two things to help:

1. As mentioned already, build or buy a ballast box. You can build em out of 50 gallon drums and concrete and embed rebar, a top link bracket, and a drawbar for the lower links - route the rebar through both links for rigidity. I saw a DIY one on the reddit Kubota page that weighed 700+lbs.

2. Upgrade your box blade to a Woods unit like Shekkie and I have. The 54-60" ones weigh 475-525 lbs and you can probably hang some suitcase weights off of them for additional ballast.

3. Have a heavy-set buddy stand on your box blade (totally kidding, never do this 😂)

• Wow

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have the tires loaded on my grapple equipped L2501 and always have either a light box blade or a 6 foot Landpride light duty rotary cutter hanging on the 3pt. . It is still easy to lift a rear tire or tires depending on the situation. I am always on my guard and happy I have both filled tires and at least some form of rear ballast .

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I will say, having filled tires helped tremendously when driving over unlevel ground or on weird angles to grind stumps, never lost traction in 4x4.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you load with calcium,you'll eventually have to buy new rims. so far 3 tractors, 4 rims as PO they had calcium in them....hate to see the bill for new rims today !
Loaded tires weigh a LOT more, so unless you have a red 'S' under your shirt, you NEED to be REAL careful and SMART when removing/installing loaded rears !!
Simpler/cleaner to use a 'carryall' and grab a 'weight box' ONLY when NEEDED. Can have 2 boxes, light and heavy, to use what's needed for the job.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
If you load with calcium,you'll eventually have to buy new rims. so far 3 tractors, 4 rims as PO they had calcium in them....hate to see the bill for new rims today !
Loaded tires weigh a LOT more, so unless you have a red 'S' under your shirt, you NEED to be REAL careful and SMART when removing/installing loaded rears !!
Simpler/cleaner to use a 'carryall' and grab a 'weight box' ONLY when NEEDED. Can have 2 boxes, light and heavy, to use what's needed for the job.
Yep if I read it right my little BX2680 tire filled weighs 100 lbs more on top of the original weight of tire & wheel. Im glad their filled though..

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Changing a tire.

You simply cannot do it. Too heavy.

Go with weights.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Filled tires on both tractors. No regrets.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yup, the old Greeks were ahead of their time hahaha.

350lb is better than nothing. I'm guessing you have the land pride box blade? I'd do one of two things to help:

1. As mentioned already, build or buy a ballast box. You can build em out of 50 gallon drums and concrete and embed rebar, a top link bracket, and a drawbar for the lower links - route the rebar through both links for rigidity. I saw a DIY one on the reddit Kubota page that weighed 700+lbs.

2. Upgrade your box blade to a Woods unit like Shekkie and I have. The 54-60" ones weigh 475-525 lbs and you can probably hang some suitcase weights off of them for additional ballast.

3. Have a heavy-set buddy stand on your box blade (totally kidding, never do this 😂)
Option 4. Build a weight box for the top of your box blade. Add a few hundred pounds more weight. Not only is it good ballast, it will make your blade work better.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Even the operators manual for loaders states tire ballast is good to have in addition to rear weight on the 3 point. It's no different then hanging weight off the front of the tractor when using a large 3 point implement.
Id personally never go without filled tires. Unless your driving in pure mud all it does is aid traction. My yard is very soft and I haven't had any issues driving on it with filled tires and it imprinting out side of a long heavy rain, at that point just walking in the bottom yard you'll sink in. Doing dirt work I find it especially useful. I've never really been a big fan of wheel weights, as they are heavy as sin most the time, but they are an option as well. I also can't say taking the tires off the tractor is something thays done very often, but how you'll handle the extra 150lbs (ish) would need planned for. I don't personally find them difficult to take off and wheel around, so long ad I can keep them propped up. Not like the tires are really big on a B series. Just need to exercise some caution.
Beet juice doesn't rot the rims out, is nearly as heavy as calcium chloride, and is actually pretty economical.
I'm also not a fan of having a big box blade haning off the rear of the tractor or another heavy implement that sicks far out the back of the tractor. It hogs up space that I typically need when I'm in the woods or working around my log pile. I much prefer a dedicated weight box. Heavy, but compact and hangs close to the tractor 3 point arms.

Attachments