Hard to start L3010 please read

mopar2ya

Dec 9, 2013
ontario canada
I think it is some kind of solenoid that is not working. I put tractor in neutral it is a HST. depress clutch turn on key, and nothing. Dash lights up if I repeat this several times it will start. Any idea's?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you are going to own a tractor a few tools are necessary.
One is a test light such as this one at Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-tester-30779.html

Less than $5. Also available at most automotive supply stores.
With this tool you can quickly determine if power is reaching the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start.
If power was reaching the starter solenoid you would have greatly narrowed down the possible faults to the solenoid, starter or battery.

If power was not reaching the starter then a safety switch would be the likely culprit.

Dave M7040

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Try moving the hydrostat pedal back and forth while turning the key to start.. Sometimes it's as simple as the pedal switch not being contacted properly. It could also be a safety switch on the clutch pedal. Also be sure the pto is in neutral. There is also seat switch that can fail. These are some of the low hanging fruit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
2 normal possibilities come to mind.
First: HST switch... Like said try moving pedal when cranking.
Second: PTO switch, double check that the PTO if in the off position, move the lever a few times.

I will add another thing to the must have list: Service and owner manuals for the tractor are a must have too, they have wiring diagrams and trouble shooting procedures in them to help out.