Hard to get out of 4wd

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
I know I have seen this subject before but for the life of me I can't seem to find it using the search. So pardon the duplication.

Have 2008 BX2660 that I purchased used about 3 mos back. Finally got the FEL installed and had my first need for 4wd. Once in 4wd it was very difficult to get back into 2wd. Pulled on the lever as hard as dared, rocked the tractor a bit backwards and forwards using the HST, no luck.

Finally jacked it up, took the right rear wheel off and tapped the lever with a hammer where it went into the housing. Slipped right back into 2wd so not sure if it was the hammer jarred it loose or the fact that I jacked it up and the rear wheels could now turn free. Sprayed some lube where it went into the housing but don't really think that made any difference.

Went back to using it and did have several occasions where I had to rock the tractor backwards and forwards using the HST pedals to finally get it to release from 4wd.

Is there some magic trick to making this easier, or adjustment in linkage? (although I certainly don't see one).

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
On my L4600 it is always tough to go from 4wd to 2wd so I just lower FEL to take pressure off front end and it slides right into 2wd. Rarely do I need to lift front wheels.

I place left hand on 2wd/4wd lever and push down while lowering bucket, presto every time.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
On my tractors I also have trouble,(if you want to call it that), getting out of four wheel drive. Here is what I do. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and wiggle it out of four wheel drive. If that doesn't work easily then I turn it all the way to the left and wiggle it out of four wheel drive. This is done while moving and one direction of the wheel or the other always works. Easily, with a little jostling. I believe it to be the gears binding a little while in four wheel drive. I never have an issue getting out of four wheel drive using this process.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you've been driving forward, drive straight a little bit, stop, put it in reverse and inch backwards in a straight line a little and the 4wd should disengage nice and easy.

All 4wd systems have a bit of tension between front and back because gears are never perfectly synched. That's why you shouldn't drive in 4wd constantly, especially on dry pavement.

If you reverse direction just a tiny bit it releases the tension and you will shift easily.

Never force it. If its difficult going into 4wd do the same procedure. If its still tough drive backwards a little more or change directions again until it is easy to engage/disengage.

Same goes for differential-lock.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
Great advice from all. I tried the moving backwards/forwards trick with limited success. Haven't tried turning the front wheels nor lifting them with the FEL. Will see if that helps.

Just sort of comforting to know it's a pretty common issue with hopefully a very simple solution.

Thanks again.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
And it could just be a bit stiff because the previous owner seldom used the 4x4 also. Like most mechanical things, they will loosen up over time.

I would not resort to using a hammer to get it in or out. If Kubota designed it for that they'd have issued a hammer with it, and a boss on the lever to strike! :D:D

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
And it could just be a bit stiff because the previous owner seldom used the 4x4 also. Like most mechanical things, they will loosen up over time.

I would not resort to using a hammer to get it in or out. If Kubota designed it for that they'd have issued a hammer with it, and a boss on the lever to strike! :D:D
I agree, this was a pretty gentle tap just to see if something would move. Again, it popped right into 2wd but that was most likely the result of me driving it up to the garage and picking it up than it was the tap.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might give it a bath with PB Blaster, or similar, to perhaps reduce the friction/grime in the linkage.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Might give it a bath with PB Blaster, or similar, to perhaps reduce the friction/grime in the linkage.
On my B7100 - it was a sumbeach to get out of 4wd .....the blaster did the trick, moves easily now!;)

esloser

Equipment
working on BX1870-1
Oct 30, 2015
Millville, NJ
It’s working as designed - I think the owner’s manual actually says you have to take the rear wheel off and hit it with a hammer to disengage.

Actually, mine doesn’t get that stuck, but if it does stick I drive slowly forward while adding pressure to the lever and it usually slips right out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
The transfercase gets bound up any time you drive in 4wd and turn the wheel. the wheels will slip if you are on dirt or snow, but on hardback there is minimal slippage and more binding between the front axle and the rear due to the different lines they take when going around a corner.

Driving forward and back in a straight line does not relieve the bind (this is probably a habit developed from driving old 4wd trucks that needed the backup to release the front hubs)

Lifting the front or rear axle will relieve the bind.

Driving in a circle will either relieve the bind or make it worse, depending on which direction you steer in relation to the last turn you made