Harbor Freight ICON Tool Cabinets.

Lawngevity

Equipment
N/A.
Jul 13, 2022
Connecticut
Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has a Harbor Freight ICON tool chest?

The 73" cabinet is now $ 2999 which is a great deal. After researching these for several years, in my opinion they're the best value (similar really to Kubota).

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I just bought a 56" U.S General box from them for my Snowmobile Club. I was impressed with the overall quality and weight of it. It's not like my Snap-on boxes but it will work .

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just bought a 56" U.S General box from them for my Snowmobile Club. I was impressed with the overall quality and weight of it. It's not like my Snap-on boxes but it will work .
Like Tom, I can’t complain about a HF box.

I’ve had a 44” US General box with two attachments for almost 10 years. Can’t complain about the quality and the price was a fraction of a branded box.

Quite frankly, a Snap-on or other similar box was not an option due to price. Many of the chain store boxes didn’t seem as well made and were nearly 2x the price if my memory serves.

It was something like this or nothing for me.

I’ve only seen the newer generation boxes in advertising. They look similar to what I have.

I think I polled OTT before I bought mine. Several guys had them and recommended them. Often wished I had gotten a bigger one, but can’t complain otherwise.

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I can only comment on the USG ones, they are real, real nice-and that aint easy for me to say as I generally despise Horrible Fright stuff.
I have the 44" GEN2 bottom, top, and side box (in blue, my fav color) and for the money you just cant get anything better. I just helped a friend unpack and move a new GEN3 72" bottom box, it sure was really nice too.

Reactions: 1 users

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I've seen plenty of us general boxes; and around here they don't just sit in the corner of the shop. The build quality is good and I've yet to hear anyone have an issue with one short of it getting hit by a machine. Even the older ones are floating around.

Sitting in the store comparing them to Icon I don't particularly see a difference in quality or really a reason to pay more for them at all. Now with the gen3 USG boxes rolling out they've really lost their appeal. I believe the only trade off now between the two is the stainless top if you aren't going for the top chest. I plan on picking up a USG in orange to match my tractor when I get the garage finished.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
guess I'm old.... $3K for a tool box !! yeesh, you must have 25-30K in tools then !!! Hope you have GREAT insurance......

also don't load even a 4'er into an aluminum Ford ...you'll have 4 divots after the first bump to 'prevent it from rolling....... and ,no , that is NOT covered under the warranty.

• Dislike

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
guess I'm old.... $3K for a tool box !! yeesh, you must have 25-30K in tools then !!! Hope you have GREAT insurance......

also don't load even a 4'er into an aluminum Ford ...you'll have 4 divots after the first bump to 'prevent it from rolling....... and ,no , that is NOT covered under the warranty.
Jay - from what I understand, many of the sought-after name brand boxes are $6-8k USD for a damned good, but relatively basic box. Some fancy ones can be $10-15k.

Not speaking from experience. Just what I’ve heard over the years.

They are well built but way beyond what I could do.

If you’re doing it everyday for a living like @Fordtech86, it’s an investment just like the tools inside of it.

For a weekend warrior like me; makes no sense.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Jay - from what I understand, many of the sought-after name brand boxes are $6-8k USD for a damned good, but relatively basic box. Some fancy ones can be $10-15k.

Not speaking from experience. Just what I’ve heard over the years.

They are well built but way beyond what I could do.

If you’re doing it everyday for a living like @Fordtech86, it’s an investment just like the tools inside of it.

For a weekend warrior like me; makes no sense.
Can’t comment on the HF boxes, haven’t ever looked at one up close really.

I probably would have looked at them for a home box, but I’ve gotten some pretty good deals on some good used boxes off the tool trucks (hell even my box at work was bought very slightly used at a pretty “good” price, guy only made the down payment and first payment before his wife found out 😂😂😂)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have one at work, a smaller Icon box. It's built very well for what it is. I didn't buy it, belongs to the company, but does the job. I don't know that I'd spend that much money on them. I have two 72" US General boxes at the home shop which have served me very well, given that the two of them cost about the same as one of the 73" ICON boxes.

I was torn between Husky and Icon and US General. Didn't like the drawer layout on the Husky, ICON was a little too expensive for a home shop, so I got the USG. And, I'm happy with it. So much so that I bought a second one, right before I switched jobs...and guess what? Boss says bring your tools, put em in my tool box. That way I can keep both mine at the house. Now if I could get him to buy some more special tools for workin on electric vehicles....ya know, to fill the new icon box that we use specifically for EV repairs.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Jay, my little Snap-On box was just over 5k in 1996'ish. I can't imagine what they are now.

On the HF box. I have never looked at one up close, but in the video they have, it highlights an "adjustable pull weight" for the drawers?

Who the hell would want a drawer thats harder to pull open?

I have at least 6 tool boxes and I have NEVER said "Damn, I wish this drawer was harder to pull open."

Whats next Harbor Freight?....... A "boob shrinker"?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have the US General series 2. Love it. Great box with buttery smooth drawers. I don't wrench for a living anymore, so this one works good enough for me.

quick hitch 1.JPG