Guns...Times have changed...

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I get that about her owning a gun. Yeah witnesses.....i dont think i would have just watched.
I also am reminded of my opinion about mental health. There is much more of an attitude that life is nothing. I could spend a lot of time agreeing with the rest of your post with examples from experience. My prior post was to point out its not just a gun.
^^^^^^

And point well taken.

It is the PERSON not the method.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
^^^^^^

And point well taken.

It is the PERSON not the method.

I think the fire arm not stated category are the ones with no shell casing, witness, and through and through so no projectile either. Unless someone is just being lazy on the reporting. At that point all you could do is estimate the caliber used from the size of the hole it made.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Long ago I heard if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. I get the instinct to say just oulaw guns. But that won't stop murders by any means. People still can make bombs. Growing up in the 70's we used to get bomb threats at my school. Viet Nam protesters. We had fire drills, bomb, drills. Taught to listen for sirens in the event Russia may start a war. Cold war era.....
To be fair though, there were not Ar 15's when they wrote the constitution. Muzzle loaders back then. For me I have issue with people editing or even interpretation for their own agenda of the constitution.
Pass any law you want but leave the constitution alone. If some states want laws let them propose and pass. Problem is they know they can't get them passed because people see the flaws. So....they want to butcher the constitution to push things through.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I just saw the news segement about a 72 year old man in Philly being MURDERED by a 'kid' with an orange traffic cone ! Cops have complete ,hirez video, have done nothing....
Instead of trying to 'ban all guns' (asinine idea...) banning traffic cones WOULD have saved one 72 year old.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I just saw the news segement about a 72 year old man in Philly being MURDERED by a 'kid' with an orange traffic cone ! Cops have complete ,hirez video, have done nothing....
Instead of trying to 'ban all guns' (asinine idea...) banning traffic cones WOULD have saved one 72 year old.
I seen that also. Not only was it one kid, but a group of kids. So sad that the value of human life has been lost. They acted like it was game and just having fun.

It reminded me of a pack of hyenas attacking a weak prey.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Now if this dont make your blood boil, old man attacked but a young thug, thug died, old man in jai for murder
NYC bodega worker Jose Alba charged in fatal stabbing feared for his life, family says (nypost.com)
There is some better news about this.
First, if you stab someone and they die it will be charged as murder. In this case it will most likely be kicked out as self defense. Local politicians and neighbors are all backing the shop owner.
He spent a short time at Rikers while bail/bond was arranged. He was out and home in record time for NYC. This is common. It sux but that is the procedure.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
First, if you stab someone and they die it will be charged as murder. In this case it will most likely be kicked out as self defense. Local politicians and neighbors are all backing the shop owner.
He spent a short time at Rikers while bail/bond was arranged. He was out and home in record time for NYC. This is common. It sux but that is the procedure.
They had similar here when a man shot and killed someone in self defense in the police departments parking lot here in town. The police departments own CCTV cameras were used by the defense in the case. Guy was arrested and charged. Then bonded out fairly quickly. Granted, once his case was proved and won, his lawyer saw a serious uptick in business. Everyone wanted him to represent him 😁😁😁

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
NO....should NOT be summarily charged as 'murder', particularly when you have video evidence readily available. The proper charge (and procedure in this case) is 'homicide' which can be 'justifiable homicide'.

It is SO clear in this case what happened....that the defendant should be out on 'PR' ( personal recognizance ) barring any past history to deny and not have to post BAIL.

Then a Grand Jury should quickly find it a 'No Bill' (due to self defense). After that someone should pin a medal on the guy IMO.

Reactions: 2 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm not familiar with NY law, but there may be some logic to the person being charged.

Some States have laws that if you are found to have committed justifiable homicide you cannot be held civilly liable.

Yet for the protection to kick in you have to be charged with a crime and then found by the judge or jury that it was not criminal, but justifiable homicide. Then if the criminal's estate tries to sue you, the case can be dismissed because it was ruled in court to be justifiable homicide.

Again I'm not familiar with NY law and I'm not lawyer, that is just how it was explained to me in a different case.

May or may not apply in this case.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Long ago I heard if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. I get the instinct to say just oulaw guns. But that won't stop murders by any means. People still can make bombs.

and that fact alone should be bothersome. It's not that hard to make and can do a lot of damage in the right circumstances. My brother is a Iraqi Freedom vet and he can tell you all about it....and how "they" made things that destroyed a lot of equipment. He (brother) was one of the guys who got to clean up the mess inside the blowed up equipment-which much of that was left behind when they were ordered out of the country.

local bomb-squad was doing some training a while back and they made some devices that I guess people would kind of make if they had a bad intention. These IED's were made of ingredients that are available at grocery stores. Some of the devices were explosives, others were chemical agents, which became more well known in WWI and II. The explosives they made/tested shook the entire city and blowed some windows out within 1/2 mi radius. Mind you they made this stuff with things they bought at wal-mart. Crazy!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’s unfortunate that that situation started the victim on defense to prove innocence…and that is not appropriate if there is evidence…that’s a asshole DA…what should have been was the attackers charged with attemp at murder…doesn’t matter if they are dead, that was the law broken. Why should a vicitm. prove their innocence in a situation with video evidence. Let the victim go home to their family….he’s probably been through enough. Does the clerk at store get charged for stealing when someone else does it?

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
The prosecuting DA is a Sorus (sp?) apointeee apparently. The original bail amount was over 200k which meant he needed 20k to walk. There was a public uproar and his bail amount was reduced to 50k within a day I think.

No uproar though and he would be still sitting in Rikers.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The prosecuting DA is a Sorus (sp?) apointeee apparently. The original bail amount was over 200k which meant he needed 20k to walk. There was a public uproar and his bail amount was reduced to 50k within a day I think.

No uproar though and he would be still sitting in Rikers.
No he was elected.

I stand corrected on murder verse homicide. Fingers typed faster than brain was engaged.

I am almost willing to bet that the guy was in the precinct house and booked before the tape made it way to the detectives.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
No he was elected.

I stand corrected on murder verse homicide. Fingers typed faster than brain was engaged.

I am almost willing to bet that the guy was in the precinct house and booked before the tape made it way to the detectives.
He was elected, but backed with all Srous money. He's doing what he was paid to do.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
He was elected, but backed with all Srous money. He's doing what he was paid to do.
Rich liberals support liberal PACS and candidates.
Rich conservatives support conservative PACS and candidates.
If this is news, you have not been paying attention.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Rich liberals support liberal PACS and candidates.
Rich conservatives support conservative PACS and candidates.
If this is news, you have not been paying attention.
Certain PACS and Dark Money are a problem on both sides. The influence on elections was stark this last go 'round.

They are a disservice to the people.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We tend to think of criminal organizations as the mafia. They make their own rules, have controls they enforce, etc. Isn't that what our government does, maybe just a bit more sophisticated?

Received this from a friend.

As an attorney, I hesitated to forward this as it can be considered to be an indictment against my profession. But I believe there is much truth to the article below. Very thought provoking. Lawyers are adversarial and are trained to try to win at all costs. May work in litigation ----- but does not work well when governing our nation in Congress. Trying to win at any costs creates the polarization and hatred that now fills our country....Leaves no room for common sense or legitimate debate.

Every Democrat presidential nominee since 1984 went to law school (although Gore did not graduate – Biden (no surprise) was at the bottom of his class). Every Democrat vice presidential nominee since 1976, except for Lloyd Bentsen, went to law school. Barack Obama was a lawyer. Michelle Obama was a lawyer. Hillary Clinton was a lawyer. Bill Clinton was a lawyer. John Edwards is a lawyer. Elizabeth Edwards was a lawyer. Look at leaders of the Democrat Party in Congress: Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer is a lawyer. Former Senator Harry Reid was a lawyer.

The Republican Party is different. President Trump is a businessman. President Bush 1 and 2 were businessmen. Vice President Cheney was a businessman. President Eisenhower was a 5 star General.The leaders of the Republican Revolution: Newt Gingrich was a history professor. Tom Delay was an exterminator. Dick Armey was an economist. Ex-House Minority Leader John Boehner was a plastics manufacturer. The former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is a heart surgeon. Who was the last Republican president who was a lawyer? Gerald Ford, who left office 31 years ago and who barely won the Republican nomination as a sitting president, running against actor Ronald Reagan in 1976. The Republican Party is made up of real people doing real work, who are often the targets of lawyers. This is very interesting. I had never thought about it this way before.

The Democrat Party is made up of lawyers. Democrats mock and scorn men who create wealth, like Trump, Bush, and Cheney, or who heal the sick like Frist, or who immerse themselves in history like Gingrich. The Lawyers Party sees these sorts of people, who provide goods and services that people want, as the enemies of America . And, so, in the eyes of the Lawyers Party, we have seen the procession of official enemies grow. Against whom do Hillary and Obama rail? Pharmaceutical companies, oil companies, hospitals, manufacturers, fast food restaurant chains, large retail businesses, bankers, and anyone producing anything of value in our nation.

This is the natural consequence of viewing everything through the eyes of lawyers.Lawyers solve problems by successfully representing their clients, which, in this case should be the American people. Lawyers seek to have new laws passed, they seek to win lawsuits, they press appellate courts to overturn precedent, and lawyers always parse language to favor their side.Confined to the narrow practice of law, that is fine. But it is an awful way to govern a great nation.
When politicians, as lawyers, begin to view some Americans as clients and other Americans as opposing parties, then the role of the legal system in our life becomes all-consuming. Some Americans become adverse parties of our very government. We are not all litigants in some vast social class-action suit. We are citizens of a republic that promises us a great deal of freedom from laws, from courts, and from lawyers.

Today, we are drowning in laws; we are contorted by judicial decisions; we are driven to distraction by omnipresent lawyers in all parts of our once private lives. America has a place for laws and lawyers, but that place is modest and reasonable, not vast and unchecked. When the most important decision for our next president is whom he will appoint to the Supreme Court, the role of lawyers and the law in America is too big. When House Democrats sue America in order to hamstring our efforts to learn what our enemies are planning to do to us, then the role of litigation in America has become crushing.

Perhaps Americans will understand that change cannot be brought to our nation by those lawyers who already largely dictate American society and business. Perhaps Americans will see that hope does not come from the mouths of lawyers but from personal dreams nourished by hard work. Perhaps Americans will embrace the truth that more lawyers with more power will only make our problems worse.

The United States has 5% of the world's population and 66% of the world's lawyers! Tort (Legal) reform legislation has been introduced in congress several times in the last several years to limit punitive damages in ridiculous lawsuits such as spilling hot coffee on yourself and suing the establishment that sold it to you and also to limit punitive damages in huge medical malpractice lawsuits. This legislation has continually been blocked from even being voted on by the Democrat Party. When you see that 97% of the political contributions from the American Trial Lawyers Association go to the Democrat Party, then you realize who is responsible for our medical and product costs being so high.

Reactions: 6 users