Status
Not open for further replies.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Guns that can not be traced (ghost guns) now being made with 3D printers are being used in crimes. How are they (government and anti-gun supporters) going to control that?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
After the dog and pony show congressional hearings, you will have to pass a background check and your printer can only be shipped through an approved federal printer dealer or fpd. And certain printers that are black with a scary profile may get banned

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Guns that can not be traced (ghost guns) now being made with 3D printers are being used in crimes. How are they (government and anti-gun supporters) going to control that?

This has been going on for a number of years now. Not to mention all you have to do to make a gun untraceable is file off the serial# on the metal. Ghost guns are way too much trouble.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Not to mention all you have to do to make a gun untraceable is file off the serial# on the metal.

Its actually not that easy. X-rays can often read the number after it's no longer visible.

Now, a number that has never existed? I'm kinda thinking that there isn't going to be any technological development that will make that one readable.

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Its actually not that easy. X-rays can often read the number after it's no longer visible.
That because there are stupid criminals. Just looked at a number of mine...the stamp isnt very deep. There would be no problem at all getting rid of it entirely. Not that I am doing that of course as a law abiding gun owner!

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Why don't they just ban criminals?

Reactions: 4 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I'm afraid they will figure out that they can't keep guns out the hands of criminals no matter how many laws are passed, then they will go after controlling/stopping ammo production. That'll stop em. Those pesky criminals wouldn't dare make their own illegal ammo.

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm afraid they will figure out that they can't keep guns out the hands of criminals no matter how many laws are passed, then they will go after controlling/stopping ammo production. That'll stop em. Those pesky criminals wouldn't dare make their own illegal ammo.
This, and more red flag laws. Turn your friends, your family, your neighbors in.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nope, they'll use knives, baseball bats, rocks and swords.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ban 3D printers, obviously.
Don't 3D printers make stuff out of composits I stead of metal???

Seems like there is a pretty good chance that the printed gun may go poof in the user's hand.

But then again, I don't know squat about a 3d printer.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Don't 3D printers make stuff out of composits I stead of metal???

Seems like there is a pretty good chance that the printed gun may go poof in the user's hand.

But then again, I don't know squat about a 3d printer.
Yes, plastic. Think of a Glock frame, that can basically be printed and the other parts sourced aftermarket.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
That because there are stupid criminals. Just looked at a number of mine...the stamp isnt very deep. There would be no problem at all getting rid of it entirely. Not that I am doing that of course as a law abiding gun owner!
I am surprised no one has corrected you on this. You could always file it off and send it to ATF. It won’t take long before they knock on your door (if it’s a recent purchase anyway). When ever you stamp or press metal, all the metal under the stamp is compressed. All they do is file the damage off and stick it under an X-ray. The pressed in digits are there. Theoretically you could remove enough metal, but depending on depth and the rounds you use that would be problematic.

The X-ray systems they use are commonly found in the aviation industry. Lots of aircraft metal parts and components get xrayed routinely. There’s even “true crime” shows that expressly mention this technique for crime solving regarding guns.

Not pulling your leg here. I have purchased and used those systems. Do you have any idea how human X-ray systems are checked for calibration? You radiograph a tool. The tool is metal and you read the depth of the data in the X-ray image. X-ray systems are built for this. So, Yeah Nah. Don’t ever suggest the old file the serial number off trick, unless you want them to get caught.

I do have some other suggestions that would likely work if you have any nefarious needs however!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
That because there are stupid criminals. Just looked at a number of mine...the stamp isnt very deep. There would be no problem at all getting rid of it entirely.

Well, I was going to tell you it's not that easy, without elaborating, but I see those beans have already been spilled.

I will tell you that many imprisoned criminals thought the same way you do. Good for law enforcement, bad for criminals.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Well, I was going to tell you it's not that easy, without elaborating, but I see those beans have already been spilled.

I will tell you that many imprisoned criminals thought the same way you do. Good for law enforcement, bad for criminals.
I am unsure why you would not elaborate. Just read above!

Status
Not open for further replies.