Guess I won't be buying anytime soon

Torrin

Equipment
B2650, loader, Front snowblower, Cab, driveway drag, backblade, brush mower
Jun 7, 2014
Mecosta County MI USA
I may be just an old mailman, but I would like someone to explain to me how making payments that amount to more then the cash price is 0% interest.

Last time I looked if I bought something on term for 50 dollars it would only be 0% if my total payments came to 50 dollars:rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I may be just an old mailman, but I would like someone to explain to me how making payments that amount to more then the cash price is 0% interest.

Last time I looked if I bought something on term for 50 dollars it would only be 0% if my total payments came to 50 dollars:rolleyes:
mmmm.......

I bought a brand new tractor in 2013.....
it was about 20k (a little less) I HAD to pay 1000 in sales tax.....

so my total bill was right at 21k.....NOW I had the option to pay cash - the cash price was 500 dollars less.

SO - I could have paid 20,500 in cash, now remember, I am a teacher, the lowest paid job on the totem pole, next to police and firefighters.......

so that option was off the proverbial table.

My payments = the exact amount over 60 months. SO yes, I did spend 500 bucks to get 0% interest......

now, let's dig a little deeper.......IF I HAD 20k laying around, FIRST I would not buy a tractor with it - I would have taken the hit on the 500 bucks, financed the tractor over 5 years AND MORE importantly placed the 20k in a simple CD making a whopping 1% ! SO at the end of year one, I'd have 20200, at the end of year 5 .........I would have $21000 in the bank! NOW true, I would have to pay uncle sam taxes on that $1000 gain...... but even after the dust settled....I would be money ahead......

Now if something else is thrown in there, like a "application fee" or other BS , then I agree - sometimes 0% aint 0%:)......

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Anybody buy a vehicle lately? What was your DOC fee from just the dealership and the interest from the bank. I used to get no fee for buying a GM vehicle and then it went $165.00 now it's $250.00 at some places. So I just paid for a office girl to type for 15 minutes and a guy to run to the DMV with my plate transfer (along with others)

Kubota charges $100.00 and if your state requires a UCC fee. Michigan is $27.50

If you want a even worse example try to buy a Simplicity on a "0%" for 36 or 48. By the time you get down to it, the fee from Simplicity and Syncrony bank you have to pony up 4% of the total price spent! $6000.00 out fit is now $6240.00. So how does the $100.00 from Kubota sound now?

My dealership charges no DOC fee or delivery fee.

Pat

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pat, what happens to the interest free loan if someone misses a couple of payments on time?

Some of those types of plans, when two payments are missed the interest goes up to the teens and doesn't ever come back down! Motivation to pay attention.

But I agree with Torrin.

I learned, as a child:

When you outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep becomes your downfall!

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
D2cat,

Depends on the loan type! The secured typically would not have any increase to lets call it (x) amount of interest dating back to day one. The unsecured like the one from synchrony bank would and could go back to (X) amount from day one.

Well if you re-read Hokies and my previous statement you get the 0% for a nominal fee! Plain and simple you either pony up the cash or pay the fee!

You have to run the numbers! If you gather you can do better with cashing out. So be it. I like cash or check, cuts down on my paper work by 50%:D

For instance, I tell my customers that if you are not stuck on a certain brand. And if you have cash ready then go with Massey. Typically they offer a hefty discount for cash.

Pat

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
D2cat,

You have to run the numbers! If you gather you can do better with cashing out. So be it. I like cash or check, cuts down on my paper work by 50%:D

Pat
Now talking about dealers, I must have wondered into a "good" one. I have told the story and I'll make it shorter this time.

Friend of mine at the lake has a B7200 (84 model I think) - he has beat the living hell out of it, tripped the 4 digit hour meter and replaced tires 3 times. He is 82 and still runs around on it like it can move mountains! He pulls boats up a concrete ramps and other things that are not real "smart"

I asked him one day about buying a FEL and tractor - and he said there is only one tractor company, it is orange and I would be wasting my money elsewhere......told me to call Jeff at the local dealer....

I went home - pulled up Kubota.com - looked the cost of a new BX25d.......
Called the guy on the phone - asked him bottom line on the machine, within 2 minutes he came back with 12% of the list ......

When I asked what was included.....
12" bucket standard (some charge for those)
the 3 point kit on rear (some charge for those too)
Filled tires (WWF)
and a free hat to boot!

no paperwork fee - no assembly fee, no delivery fee ......

I drove over there, shook his hand and he did the ol finance computer work, I signed the papers ....and three days later the machine showed up!

Then I logged on here two weeks later!

THERE ought to be a page somewhere in this wonderful forum -
NEW BUYERS - READ THIS and all your headaches will go away!!!!!!

and in this "page" - all these little things we talk about, the typical newbie questions....the cost(s) the upkeep, things to get, things not to worry about, storage, fuel issues, cab issues, rops issues, tire choices, machine sizes....hell I could go on - but you know what I am talking about.

what say coach? NIW? - not sure where it would be stickied......ok - there is a bush word.

We ought to make it like an ol David Letterman top 10 ----

the TOP TEN things to do BEFORE you buy a KUBOTA - now it would be subjective as hell, but certain things are concrete.

It is just a thought.....

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
And I also mentioned the same as above we don't charge a paperwork fee or delivery charge. And if he was 12% below list for all implements, then his price was good one. Our numbers are close to his for our pricing!

The only thing was loading the tires will not gain you much. My question is why with the backhoe, you have your counter balance right there.

26x12x12 tire 8 gals. per tire 10lbs per 160 total pounds.

Pat

WoodyBlue

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 18, 2017
Taylorsville, KY, USA
Yes-$2500 in rebates PLUS 0 financing for 84 months.

Now it's $2000 rebate OR the 0 financing.
I JUST took down a L2501, Upton 2000 in rebates as a result of 60 months at 0% financing. 259.00 per month before insurance. I think 280 something if i remember correctly, after Kubota insurance is added.

Worked well for me

Pics to come. Being delivered Thursday.

Two implements was 1k of the rebate, Quick connect 60" FEL and bucket with forks.

Oh yeah I traded a 1994 Orange Dog tractor in too.