Ground squirrels!!!

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Last year ground squirrels showed up on the back part of my property. I shot 11 last year. This year in the past 30 days I've shot 24. Today alone I shot 7 with my 22 with an old 3x9 Bushnell scope. 5 days ago I took my 9mm carbine out and got 3. 1 with the peep sights and 2 that were in the shadows I got with the red dot laser. Now that's a blast. :D

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
That must be a pain. In the past 2 years I've shot probably 20+ woodchucks on my property. My .17 HMR is devastating to those buggers. If they didn't try bothering with my garden, and didn't seem to love digging holes in the yard, near foundations, and under my little barn I wouldn't bother them.

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
I'm having problems with chipmunks this year. They are digging up and around my stone walls making a mess. I've killed 20 in the last month and they keep coming! They go right into the garden also and eat my cherry tomatoes when they are ripening.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My problem was pigeons. Pellet rifle scope and a flaslight. Got near30. Neighbourhood fox ate good for a couple weeks. A couple remaining, sitting on the garage roof. A neighbour was over and said -oh thats where my pigeons hang out.i replied whats left of them. He moved his coop and they wouldnt go back to it. I suggested if he wanted to keep the rest, he move coop back. The remaining few do not hang out here anymore. Go figure.

Chipmunk has one hole in flowerbed i leave it alone. Woodchuk next door is gone,dog put the run on it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
CHIPMUNKs,,, the OL feeds the birds and the tree rats and munks show up,, I cant do much about the tree rats while shes around, but a 5 gallon bucket and pop can on a coat hanger covered with peanut butter, has accounted for several dozen munks and mice this year. Seems the little buggers cant tread water very long,,, MOHAHAHAAHAAA,,, sinister laff

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
We had a chipmunk problem.
Then Last year a stray cat had adopted us and she has been eliminating them.
Exept one baby one she has as a pet.
The two romp around the yard and play.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I had a chipmunk problem, but I took a 5-gal bucket and filled it 1/3rd full and sprinkled sunflower seeds on the water (they float) and a stick for a ramp from the ground to the rim. They jump in to get the seeds and never come out.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"I cant do much about the tree rats while shes around"
damn - aint that the truth:eek: - my wife feeds anything that moves........including the @#$%@#$%@# squirrels, they seem to get into any and everything too.

.17 1000' per second pellet removes them nicely when she is not around.....but you have to hide the evidence too!!!;):)

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
"I cant do much about the tree rats while shes around"
damn - aint that the truth:eek: - my wife feeds anything that moves........including the @#$%@#$%@# squirrels, they seem to get into any and everything too.
My wife feeds everything too, but yesterday she found two of the bird houses raided by the tree squirrels, and called open season on them. My fun starts today! No critter messes with the songbirds

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Helomech, GOOD JOB ! ! ! ! We have a problem with hogs here in MS. I will hunt them, trap them and do what it takes to eradicate them but I will not eat them and will not tough one with out gloves. The number of diseases that will transmit from hogs to humans will make you take a step back from physical contact with the carcass..

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
You guys are too funny. I got the wifey that said no shooting the squirrels, chipmonks, bluejays....you name it...

Then the bluejays starting hassling the cat...open season...no jays left...

Then the squirrels ate the drip irrigation in the flower bed...no more squirrels for a while...

Then the woodpeckers beat hell outa the house....no more peckers...

The chipmunks....well the damn cat now feels good about not getting harrased by the tree squirrels...so it is getting the monks...

I love it when a plan comes together....

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Helomech, GOOD JOB ! ! ! ! We have a problem with hogs here in MS. I will hunt them, trap them and do what it takes to eradicate them but I will not eat them and will not tough one with out gloves. The number of diseases that will transmit from hogs to humans will make you take a step back from physical contact with the carcass..
Wild hog is one of my main food supplies. I don't buy meat. We kill hogs, deer, and raise chickens, and rabbits. Wild hog is probably the best tasting meat there is. It is much safer than anything you buy from the store.

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
Wild hog is one of my main food supplies. I don't buy meat. We kill hogs, deer, and raise chickens, and rabbits. Wild hog is probably the best tasting meat there is. It is much safer than anything you buy from the store.
I wouldnt say it is the best tasting meat there is, but it is top 3. It has a different flavor than farm raised pork, a richer flavor. They eat grubs and native vegetation and you get an even better flavor if you let them eat acorns in the fall/winter. Not much fat for bacon, but they do make great lean sausage and fantastic pork chops/roasts. As with any wild game meat, it is 100% organic and steroid free.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Texan`s dont eat pig, just beef. They sure dont know what they are missing.
If ya`ll would start eatin pig down there, ya`ll would eliminate the pig problem in a hurry.

:p
Where do you get this idea? We Texans eat a lot of wild pig. Even have feral pig stations where you can sell it. I myself have killed at least 50 pigs this year. And none of them got wasted.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I wouldnt say it is the best tasting meat there is, but it is top 3. It has a different flavor than farm raised pork, a richer flavor. They eat grubs and native vegetation and you get an even better flavor if you let them eat acorns in the fall/winter. Not much fat for bacon, but they do make great lean sausage and fantastic pork chops/roasts. As with any wild game meat, it is 100% organic and steroid free.
IMO it is the best wild meat in Texas. I can't speak for elk, and so on, but between whitetail, rabbit, squirrel, and so on wild pig is much better. The meat doesn't even look like farm raised hog. Farm raised hog is white (the other white meat). Wild pig is dark just like deer.