Greased the Kubota yesterday.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I greased the Kubota with my new DeWalt 20 volt grease gun, but I am torn between using black grease or red grease. The black goes better with the Orange color of the tractor, and the red grease clashes with the orange of the tractor. I am also considering changing to blue grease. What color grease do you prefer? Also, do you wipe up the excess grease that spews out when you don't use a tight-fitting adapter on the nipples? I always wipe all around the nipples.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Its too cold to worry about greasing the tractor because I ain’t going to be using it.

Wonder if I need to charge the battery in the grease gun🤔

edit to add: I also don’t choose my grease based on its color, rather by its qualities 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I am envious of your grease gun as I am still manually actuating a lever on grease days.

I have red grease, black grease, and a weird baby blue grease (part of the reason for three manual pumps v the very nice electric pump). I think the red looks pretty decent. The blue clashes with the orange too much to consider. The black I’m almost out of but I have plenty of red on the shelf. So I use red same as I have for decades. YMMV.

Zerks get cleaned at time of greasing, not after greasing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
This is a joke, right? Color coordinated grease? I like to use a grease containing molybdenum disulfide (usually black) for locations without ball or roller bearings and a good quality lithium grease (may be red or white, usually) for ball or roller bearings. I wipe off excess grease when I'm done.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
GREEN on most tractor zerks and BLACK on FEl.. (and they always work best with a Manly lever grease gun)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I like greenish/blue, it matches my eyes better.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Oh my…you’ll must get up a lot earlier than me…I am just not that ‘woke’ to worry about what color might have bearing on the zerks….yes that is all sarcasm even if the bearing in there….anyways, if think with all lubricants check the ratings and application. Related to the wiping, for me it depends, is it someplace that I will lean into in normal use…for me that is reaching around the loader like to get under the hood (don’t make that weird). So there I wipe off where I reach over the loader. Otherwise I leave the grease. The reason I’m my mind is that the grease covers the zerk and keeps the zerk clean. The outer layer captures all the dirt that’s trying to get in joint. And in my mind the objective is to limit the dirt getting inside the joint. I am not sure that is true but I think the more crud you keep out of the joint the better. The grease sort of traps it I think.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
With the cold weather and no snow the tractor is staying in its warm garage. Today in anticipation of greasing it tomorrow I wiped off most of the excess from the last greasing. It may start out red but the oozy excess stuff is pretty dark now.
Tomorrow I get to push too much grease in again.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Besides what kind of greast-gun to use….there’s Another thing about greasing the tractor that is Paramount! You absolutely MUST do this task in GOOD clothes….not your old ”work-jeans”…

Otherwise the wife misses-out on yet another “suggestion” on how best to “plan your day”. 🤣

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Oh my…you’ll must get up a lot earlier than me…I am just not that ‘woke’ to worry about what color might have bearing on the zerks….yes that is all sarcasm even if the bearing in there….anyways, if think with all lubricants check the ratings and application. Related to the wiping, for me it depends, is it someplace that I will lean into in normal use…for me that is reaching around the loader like to get under the hood (don’t make that weird). So there I wipe off where I reach over the loader. Otherwise I leave the grease. The reason I’m my mind is that the grease covers the zerk and keeps the zerk clean. The outer layer captures all the dirt that’s trying to get in joint. And in my mind the objective is to limit the dirt getting inside the joint. I am not sure that is true but I think the more crud you keep out of the joint the better. The grease sort of traps it I think.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

GREEN on most tractor zerks and BLACK on FEl.. (and they always work best with a Manly lever grease gun)
Geo,
You using lucas hd green? It is very comparable to kubotas polyura(blue). I like both, but trying to decide which is better. Currently I'm running hd in the battery gun, and kubota blue and moly as manual. thinking about dropping one of the two polyuras.
The kubota seems to hold color longer(moisture resistance), but I think separates more and appears to be less temp stable.... dunno

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
LOL…the Green grease I use is a Marine boat trailer waterproof grease. I use it as a “universal” grease because it is so water-resistant. (It’s actually a Pennzoil product but also re-badged for WalMart as a SuperTech marine grease. It’s a mineral-grease.)
The only synthetic grease I use is a Mobil product “Mobilgrease 28” for aircraft…but there certainly are other good ones.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think any new/clean grease is better than none…I believe in both my machines Kubota suggested lubricate the every ten hours….well I normally don’t have the pleasure to play in tractor all day and certainly not using the loader for 10 hrs. I am particular, but no I don’t track loader hours. It’s a belly rub for me…after a bit of use I freshen her up. I have the unit with hand squeeze that tractor mike recommends. I got that when I just had the one and needed something simpler than the traditional lever style. It works really well. However I have thought about something to go with the Milwaukee…any advice or suggestion please let me know…the price seems to make me wrinkle the vinyl on the stock seat.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I greased the Kubota with my new DeWalt 20 volt grease gun, but I am torn between using black grease or red grease. The black goes better with the Orange color of the tractor, and the red grease clashes with the orange of the tractor. I am also considering changing to blue grease. What color grease do you prefer? Also, do you wipe up the excess grease that spews out when you don't use a tight-fitting adapter on the nipples? I always wipe all around the nipples.
I prefer to just gently grab the nipples, and tweak them a bit!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I think any new/clean grease is better than none…I believe in both my machines Kubota suggested lubricate the every ten hours….well I normally don’t have the pleasure to play in tractor all day and certainly not using the loader for 10 hrs. I am particular, but no I don’t track loader hours. It’s a belly rub for me…after a bit of use I freshen her up. I have the unit with hand squeeze that tractor mike recommends. I got that when I just had the one and needed something simpler than the traditional lever style. It works really well. However I have thought about something to go with the Milwaukee…any advice or suggestion please let me know…the price seems to make me wrinkle the vinyl on the stock seat.
I have the M18 two speed. It is more than adequate for my needs. I already had the batteries so tool only was 150-180ish. I bet the m12 would be fine for my amount of powered greasing. I don't seem to take mine off three pump low speed.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I have the M18 two speed. It is more than adequate for my needs. I already had the batteries so tool only was 150-180ish. I bet the m12 would be fine for my amount of powered greasing. I don't seem to take mine off three pump low speed.
Ditto on the M18, set on 4 pumps for me. It wouldn‘t pump after 1 use and acted like it was plugged. Took it apart to check for obstruction but didn’t find anything. Sounded like the pump was working. Sent it in to Milwaukee E-Service. Cost me $10 and had it back in 2 weeks. Worked flawlessly since + sent me extra hose.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Ive been a two pump chump long enough…I’m thinking it might be time to take it up a notch…I’ve already invested in a Milwaukee M18 platform…so there is not much choice there. Do you know how the fitting on the end is? Would it switch out like a normal grade gun fitting where I could put a locker fitting on it? Or did it come with something similar? Does it make a mess if not in the zerk just right? Thanks again.

kubotafreak

Equipment
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Ive been a two pump chump long enough…I’m thinking it might be time to take it up a notch…I’ve already invested in a Milwaukee M18 platform…so there is not much choice there. Do you know how the fitting on the end is? Would it switch out like a normal grade gun fitting where I could put a locker fitting on it? Or did it come with something similar? Does it make a mess if not in the zerk just right? Thanks again.
I ditched it immediately for a lock and lube. It locked on almost too hard to remove the two times I used it. The whip is nice though(Standard size threads on the end) I have pins I grease so pulling on the whip to remove doesn't bode well.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I clean them before and after greasing
A couple of years ago I bought a 'kit' of zerk covers on Amazon
LINK
They stay pretty much on and have only lost a couple. I leave the loop end free as a handle to pull them off with. They have worked well for me.
Keeps the junk out of the zerks.