Greased the FEL today...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well, you don’t know everything even though you like to claim you do. By the way, if you actually thought about it instead of spouting off to hear yourself, greasing after you use it, is before you use it the next time. Try greasing a machine at -20f that has sat overnight and then try greasing it after it has been run for a while. Huge difference in how well it takes grease. Also when everything is warmed up from working, you will push out more of the contaminates that have worked their way in during use.
Thanks for the unwarranted attack and the lie about me. You don’t know me, and you don’t know what you’re talking about …you only have an active imagination. The BEST method for lubricating Greased machinery is to use the CORRECT GREASE… such as lower viscosity and synthetics (such as PAO type greases)…. NOT to use a grease that will thicken/harden/freeze and completely Fail to lubricate because it cannot flow at start-up of operations because it sheared at the first movement of the bearing surface. :rolleyes:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well, you don’t know everything even though you like to claim you do. By the way, if you actually thought about it instead of spouting off to hear yourself, greasing after you use it, is before you use it the next time. Try greasing a machine at -20f that has sat overnight and then try greasing it after it has been run for a while. Huge difference in how well it takes grease. Also when everything is warmed up from working, you will push out more of the contaminates that have worked their way in during use.
Your post does make complete sense, but....why the hateful/nasty/mean attack on the OP?

"Well, you don't know everything even though you like to claim you do"...?
For your own health and well-being,..... I certainly hope that this is not the way you conduct your daily life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have manual grease guns as well as a DeWalt battery powered grease gun along with an OTC kit for different types and styles of zirk fittings and of course the Lock-n-Lube attachments. I have way too many things that need grease. I do try to use the manual guns when I need more feedback when greasing a component. I've found that both systems have their place.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Wow - you would think this is an oil thread ;) Related perhaps?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is a very greasy subject that I choose not to get into for fear of the slippery slope ahead. :)

Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Put me into the air operated class as well. Always used a manual grease gun for automotive maintenance. Had a barely used pneumatic grease gun, in the box, sitting for over 20 yrs. Got my first bigger tractor with more grease fittings last year and decided to reach way back to the rear of my storage cabinet and dug it out. Did a quick clean of the head unit, and have been using this old grease pumper ever since. Been thinking of a lock n lube, but the end hose connection fitting is still very tight providing a good grip on the nipples!

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Put me into the air operated class as well. Always used a manual grease gun for automotive maintenance. Had a barely used pneumatic grease gun, in the box, sitting for over 20 yrs. Got my first bigger tractor with more grease fittings last year and decided to reach way back to the rear of my storage cabinet and dug it out. Did a quick clean of the head unit, and have been using this old grease pumper ever since. Been thinking of a lock n lube, but the end hose connection fitting is still very tight providing a good grip on the nipples!
About grease nipples(zerks) lol...

Does everyone wipe them off before you grease? Of course you do. What horrible person wouldn't. But do you wipe it off after you grease it? Maybe I was the only silly one who did. I stopped because I've found you have more ingress of crap if you wipe them off after you grease. When you wipe them off after, the small grove around the ball becomes packed with dust/grease that you cannot wipe out. If you take the latter approach and don't wipe after, the old weathered grease creates a hermetic seal. Try it out, you might be surprised. Plus it saves 1/3 the work...

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Personally, I don't care for greasy nipples, but I won't judge you if that is your preference.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Your post does make complete sense, but....why the hateful/nasty/mean attack on the OP?

"Well, you don't know everything even though you like to claim you do"...?
For your own health and well-being,..... I certainly hope that this is not the way you conduct your daily life.
Because GEO was coming off as though my post was stupid and only his was right like he does on many threads on here.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I've started using these on my vehicles, lawn equipment and my L35.
These are really nice but there are other sizes and types out there for tight spaces.

ZERK CAPS

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I've started using these on my vehicles, lawn equipment and my L35.
These are really nice but there are other sizes and types out there for tight spaces.

ZERK CAPS
Not a bad idea, but I am just too lazy to use something like that.
I simply wipe off each zerk prior to greasing .

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I have the DeWalt 20v grease gun and it makes quick work of the greasing. The addition of the Lock-n-Lube on it, can't ask for a much simpler or easier setup.
I added the lock and lube to my Milwaukee as well. Greased everything just before our latest cold snap in about 30 minutes. I actually hate grease but understand the importance. I can’t seem to not get it on my glasses.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They are John Deere yellow, not Kubota orange, so they must be inferior! ;) I would never use an inferior product on my Orange Kubota! :love:

• Haha

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I added the lock and lube to my Milwaukee as well. Greased everything just before our latest cold snap in about 30 minutes. I actually hate grease but understand the importance. I can’t seem to not get it on my glasses.
On the subject of lock and lube, has anyone added the swivel fitting to their whip? They are about $12. I just purchased them so I cannot testify as to long term leak seal on the swivel. The function does seem useful, especially paired with a lock and lube, vs the standard fitting. Since the lock and lube has a large lever it is nice being able to position it to the side that is least invasive, and the swivel does just that. Kind of one of those things that you don't really notice what it does after its installed. I do remember a few times the whip memory" causing strain on connections.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Because GEO was coming off as though my post was stupid and only his was right like he does on many threads on here.
WHAT PART of my post called you “stupid” or claimed that ONLY my opinion was right…???
In actuality I was CLEAR about holding a difference of opinion only…and then made a light-hearted remark in follow-up …as a direct attempt to assuage your feelings.
YOU have a civility-problem, BAP.

That may work for an oil-change… but for greasing…. I don’t buy it. If a machine needs lubrication to avoid wear-and-tear then it needs it up-front not afterwards. (just the way I think about foreplay.) :p

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Never thought that I would get to use this twice in 24 hours! I am getting to enjoy these online verbal assaults as long as I don't get dragged into them!

giphy.gif

• Haha

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
I have a Lincoln air powered grease gun, a HF air powered grease gun and three manual guns. The Lincoln unit pushes more grease with each action, cycles faster, and puts out more pressure than the HF unit. The HF unit cost about a third of the cost of the Lincoln unit. Both units are leak free.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a Lincoln air powered grease gun, a HF air powered grease gun and three manual guns. The Lincoln unit pushes more grease with each action, cycles faster, and puts out more pressure than the HF unit. The HF unit cost about a third of the cost of the Lincoln unit. Both units are leak free.
I threw my HF air powered grease gun in the trash!
I have never used my new Lincoln air powered grease gun, because I realized that dragging an air hose around in the dirt is a messy pain in the A-s (don't know what I was thinking when I bought it).
I love my 18V DeWalt grease gun,....and with Lock-N-Lube!

Last edited:

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
I threw my HF air powered grease gun in the trash!
I have never used my new Lincoln air powered grease gun, because I realized that dragging an air hose around in the dirt is a messy pain in the A-s (don't know what I was thinking when I bought it).
I love my 18V DeWalt grease gun,....and with Lock-N-Lube!
I should have mentioned that my HF grease gun is 21 years old. Have no idea what the new units are like as far as quality.

The lock n lube is nice, but it does nothing that a new standard Lincoln unit can do. The coupler that fastens on the zerk fitting wears out and leaks grease or gets dirty and doesn't seal correctly.