Grease - Lucas, X-TRA or Red "N" Tacky

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
I have read, re-read and read some more about Grease.

I just would like to keep it simple..... Our "Local" Store sells Lucas X-tra and Red N tacky and when I need it they have it vs having to drive 1/2 hour away.

I plan to grease in the 10 hour time frame, actually I am over that by 3 hours waiting for amazon to deliver my Lincoln 1134 gun and a Lock N load.... They both will be here tomorrow.

I really don't want 2 guns..... and like I said, Our local store carries the Lucas greases.

So what one would be better for my BX23S TLB

Red N Tacky - Lithium Complex
or
X-tra - Polyurea

Thank You for your suggestions

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Just the regular grease points only need multipurpose NLGI-2. Regular greasing should push new grease through anyway.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I use Amsoil grease and I love the red n tacky too.....that red stuff is slicker than ice on an onion!

My problem is ......I need to pull the trigger a few less times on the gun!!!:D

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
I use Red n tacky myself. I think it’s good, maybe not the best but easily available. I think the most important thing is to just grease it. Not get hung up on specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chembucket

Equipment
BX23S
May 15, 2018
Western WA
I just use the Kubota polyurea. I think you can drive yourself insane reading about grease too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you can - figure out what grease is in it and stick with it. If you can’t find out just use one type of grease consistently.

That way you’re sure the grease is compatible to what is there.

Mixing incompatible greases makes them break down and lose the ability to lubricate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
For the last 35 years I have just used a moly grease or fifth wheel grease for my loader and BH. With lots of use the pins still show no wear. I just finished 500' of 6' trench and greased every day before I started. I use the same grease for automotive ball joints etc.
I start to research grease when I am dealing with high speed bearings such as mower decks.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Far from an expert on grease and have done little research to see what is the best.

So I chose Red & Tacky some years ago and have stuck with it and it does the same seems to stay where I put it.

I cover my zerks with end caps after I grease and change the color each time so I know I have not skipped any and it keeps the grit off them no wiping before greasing.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would suggest Amsoil grease with moly. I have been using it for 20 years with no issues at all. It really doesn't cost much more than the cheap stuff and you use much less than other brands require. I use my loader tractor almost every day and only grease it a few times a year. I'm not neglecting it, the grease simply stays where you put it. My loader is still just as tight as it was new.

Attachments

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
I use Schaeffer #238 with 5% moly. I am a retired excavating contractor have always used a good moly grease. I use the Red Sta-Lube Red "N" Tacky for my Bandit Chippers main Roller Bearings, use some of it on my new kubota now I am sorry I did as seemed I was greasing the loader all the time. The Sta Lube Red just was not staying on the loaders pins and bushings. Sorry I didn't go with the Schaeffer #238 from day 1 my 2 cents

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
I use the AMSOIL mulit-purpose NLGI #2 grease on my MMM and B7100. I've had no issues yet and I use it about every month or two, one shot per zerk, since I bought the tractor 3 years ago. It stays put pretty well without slinging everywhere. The good thing is, one tube lasts me long enough that I only have to order it when I order my oil/filters.

Also, a side note, my 60" MMM is much quieter than the one on my Dad's B2630 he bought used. No idea what grease the PO used but it doesn't seem to me to have had a positive effect.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/synthetic-multi-purpose-grease-nlgi-2/?code=GLCCR-EA

Edit: To answer your question on the two options presented, were I in your shoes and didn't want to order online, I'd stick with the option that most closely resembles the grease Kubota uses. A SDS (Safety Data Sheet) would be my first stop to compare.

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
ANY quality grease, used regularly is better than none at all.

In the end, most people either USE grease.... or they do not.

Most farmers I know will RELIGIOUSLY grease every nipple they can find just before heading out to the 'back 40'. Bearing failures are exceedingly rare.

The folks who ignore the grease-gun are usually wealthy enough to trade-in their equipment often.... the next owner has to deal with the aftermath.

With todays environmental focus, the use of BIODEGRADABLE lubricants is mandated in some locales. (Even biodegradable hydraulic fluid!)