Grease fitting

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have several old school guns that my father bought decades before I was born. Still use them today. A couple pistol grips and a couple lever guns. My only modification was to put a 2’ flex hose on one of the pistol guns with a L&L connector. Nice option but there are still times I don’t get a good deal on the zerk. OE every time. I find it particularly handy when greasing up the mmm. That being said there is one fitting for an idler at the back where I use another gun with a swivel tip and a fixed 18” shaft. Pain to get your hand in there and connect the L&L. I’d like to get a battery powered gun but I am deep in Ryobi tools and they do not sell one here at the orange box store. That being said, there is something satisfying about pulling out a toll your father use in the 50’s and putting it to use today. A connection to the past and I like that.
They should have or you can order it.

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks Elliott. I looked a few months back and they were not even on the site.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I have a L&L and another brand of it. The other brand has taken to leaking. Love the L&L. Fits all my fittings. Sometimes have to do Ujoints when I can cock them a little bit. Best to do when off the PTO: can cock them as much as needed. Where's grease gonna go from a Ujoint?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
So, my Manual Pistol type grip Lube -Shuttle grease gun kit came today with 10 tubes of moly bearing grease.

I am very impressed. I lubed my tandem axle'd 14K trailer via the EZ Lube axles. I actually got no grease on my clothes. And that was after changing two grease canisters.
I never use the stupid EZ Lube grease fitting, grease may pass thru the seal and onto the brakes, there is a big waste of grease filling the cavity between bearings. Bearing and brake condition needs to be inspected regularly and all that extra grease makes a big mess.

1655988351136.png

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I never use the stupid EZ Lube grease fitting, grease may pass thru the seal and onto the brakes, there is a big waste of grease filling the cavity between bearings. Bearing and brake condition needs to be inspected regularly and all that extra grease makes a big mess.

View attachment 82199
I understand your concerns. I was just like you. Thought that it would blow out past the rear seal. Saw pictures of it too. I've had ez lube Dexter axles on a few trailers. I ignored the ez lube and repacked the bearings by removing them. Which takes more time. And more money because you have to replace the rear seal to get to the rear bearing.

Finally one day I tried the ez lube despite what some say online, just to see if I'd fill the brakes with grease. I pulled the hubs off a month later and there was no grease past the seal or in the brakes. They worked!
So, I know there's wasted grease in the bore inside the axle hub, but I'm now an EZ lube axle believer.
I still think that every few years you should pull the hubs and check on them, manual repack.
But as long as you lift and spin the tire when putting grease into the ez lube, I think that it's a pretty good system.

Edit:. I would not recommend using an automatic high volume grease gun. Too much grease too fast will blow out any seal. Do it slow and use a manual grease gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have several old school guns that my father bought decades before I was born. Still use them today. A couple pistol grips and a couple lever guns. My only modification was to put a 2’ flex hose on one of the pistol guns with a L&L connector. Nice option but there are still times I don’t get a good deal on the zerk. OE every time. I find it particularly handy when greasing up the mmm. That being said there is one fitting for an idler at the back where I use another gun with a swivel tip and a fixed 18” shaft. Pain to get your hand in there and connect the L&L. I’d like to get a battery powered gun but I am deep in Ryobi tools and they do not sell one here at the orange box store. That being said, there is something satisfying about pulling out a toll your father use in the 50’s and putting it to use today. A connection to the past and I like that.
All of the above = true!
That said, at 81: I do enjoy the convenience of my battery powered DeWalt grease gun!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The answer to that question is: …because Lube Shuttle forces you to utilize only THEIR proprietary grease cartridges. One cannot easily utilize any other brand or formulation of grease.

The more common lever grease guns will accept ANY brand/formulation of grease, even if a particular grease does not come in cartridges.… it may be loaded directly into the gun-chamber.
Good point.
I understand that. It's Proprietary.

The point I was trying to make was the Lube Shuttle method is not difficult to design or create.
It's design should have been used a century ago. Instead of the spring plunger method we all grew up with.

It's laughable. It's not computer science.
In the future the lube shuttle design will be the standard. All of your favorite grease manufacturers will provide your preferred grease in a screw top tube.

In the meantime I'll be ordering grease in 5 gallon pails and a pump to refill the lube shuttle tubes.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
In the meantime I'll be ordering grease in 5 gallon pails and a pump to refill the lube shuttle tubes.
…then, while transferring grease from 5-gal pails to old/used cartridges, you’ll be getting grease all over the clothes you were trying to save by using the Lube Shuttle…..
:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa

View attachment 82199
Currently own 3 trailers that have ez lube axles. Haven't had that issue with any of them. Although for inspection a wheel gets pulled from each side every year and new seals go in, so they get changed every other year.