Grease fitting

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK guys did grease the FEL today and the one grease fitting on the QD pulled out in the nozzle. The threads dont look stripped and I cant get it to start back in, So what size tap do I need for these little buggers, I will hit TS or RK in a few and pick up a few or maybe the parts store might have them,, have to check. But really if the hole is stripped that is the next size to tap it to ? OH and one more question,, on the grapple there are not grease fittings,, So I was wondering if anybody every drilled out the pins or the bols and cross drilled them and put a grease fitting in

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Remove a good one from the other side and take it along to the store. There are many different configurations with the most popular being 1/4-28. There are also metric sizes and it gets very confusing. To move up in size, measure the ones you can find. Often you can simply tap it a bit deeper. If you can't find a quick solution, report back and I will pull out the one at the position you say, and measure it. Also, check that the other grease fittings are tight, maybe it pulled out because it was loose. I had a number that were barely holding on.

On the grapple, if possible maybe you could drill and tap the framework instead of drilling deep holes and cross holes, just a thought.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OK guys did grease the FEL today and the one grease fitting on the QD pulled out in the nozzle. The threads dont look stripped and I cant get it to start back in, So what size tap do I need for these little buggers, I will hit TS or RK in a few and pick up a few or maybe the parts store might have them,, have to check. But really if the hole is stripped that is the next size to tap it to ? OH and one more question,, on the grapple there are not grease fittings,, So I was wondering if anybody every drilled out the pins or the bols and cross drilled them and put a grease fitting in
I too have a grapple (cheap, but good) without grease fittings.
My solution was to buy (E-Bay) some plain brass 7/8" rod, cut it to appropriate length for pins, and thread the ends for lock nuts.

Then, I drilled the center of the brass pins to half their length. Tapped that hole for a zerk, and drilled across the pin at the half pin length point,.... to allow grease to escape where desired.

I used brass stock for two reasons.
(1) Easier to drill/tap than steel.
(2) Though greased, brass will wear before the host steel, and the pins (when/if worn) will be simple to replace.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user