Grapple

Jim Jacobson

Apr 3, 2012
Bondurant, WY
Last spring I purchased a L4730. The unit has a 3rd hydraulic for future attachments.

I'm in the market for a grapple. What are your recommendations?

One ram or two. How heavy duty? Anything in particular that is critically important - or not important?

The unit will be mainly used for limbs from fallen trees and the like as well as moving trees not larger than 18" in diameter at the cabin in WY (read rocky and sometimes tough soil)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I haven't used one, but I can imagine. The heavier duty, the better. Unless they are priced way out of your league, it would seem that a grapple takes a lot of abuse and stress- there would be no substitute for overbuilding.
I would love to get one for the skidsteer, but just not enough expendable income.

osut362

Equipment
M9000dtc, b7500hs
Mar 15, 2009
Lindale, Texas
I've had an ANBO for several years and it works great and is labor saver. Buy one as wide or wider than your tires so you can p/u stuff the full width of your tractor. I needed a 7 ft but bought a 6 ft because of price. When i skim along picking up stuff i run over some limbs and brush with the tires and it makes it harder to p/u on the next pass. Buy one that is heavier duty than you need so as not to bend or damage it. Two separate clamping jaws with two hydro cyl. will allow you to p/u odd size stuff and get a good bite on what ever you grapple. A grapple is a MUST HAVE after owning one for a few years.
.......Al

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I suggest that you go over here and do some reading. I think that you will find that you do not really need something big and built for a skid steer. Really no reason to get something that weighs 1000lbs. All that does is kill your lifting capacity. Something 4 or 5 foot wide will work very well with your tractor. I personally prefer to have the double clamping set up, but there are many many people that feel that it is not needed and that it just adds to the cost and weight of the unit.

Do some reading and get educated about these before you spend a bunch of money. :( There are many many other threads. You could read for weeks. Do some research first, you may be surprised with what most people end up with and how much they like them. ;)