Grapple questions

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, choose the design you like best for your application, but do not mistakenly believe some features have some substantial impact on performance.

For example - gusseting, it may not make any real difference in strength. If a grapple tine is 4 inches long and the gusset is 1/4 inch, the tine is now about 7% more resistant to deflection at the tip. Is 7% meaningful? Additionally due to the extra welding of the gusset, the tine's metal may have been weakened and/or made more brittle.

For example - serrations/teeth, there are advantages and disadvantages. My grapple is smooth, and in three years I have never had an issue with securely gripping material - compression does nearly all of the work. Serrations might offer some minor improvement in grip, but they also present some problems. Serrated jaws can make releasing material more difficult as small branches, vines and other such things can get caught in the serrations. Picking up large rocks can also be more difficult with serrations as the rock can bind on the teeth preventing the jaws from fully closing. Many will say serrations (really just teeth with no sharp edge in between like a knife) help with cutting roots. Do they and by how much? Roots tend to be snapped/torn by grapples by pressure - not cut by a sharp edge. The roots I have ripped out tend to snap or pull from the soil well clear of the actual point of contact with the grapple.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
FWIW, choose the design you like best for your application, but do not mistakenly believe some features have some substantial impact on performance.

For example - gusseting, it may not make any real difference in strength. If a grapple tine is 4 inches long and the gusset is 1/4 inch, the tine is now about 7% more resistant to deflection at the tip. Is 7% meaningful? Additionally due to the extra welding of the gusset, the tine's metal may have been weakened and/or made more brittle.

For example - serrations/teeth, there are advantages and disadvantages. My grapple is smooth, and in three years I have never had an issue with securely gripping material - compression does nearly all of the work. Serrations might offer some minor improvement in grip, but they also present some problems. Serrated jaws can make releasing material more difficult as small branches, vines and other such things can get caught in the serrations. Picking up large rocks can also be more difficult with serrations as the rock can bind on the teeth preventing the jaws from fully closing. Many will say serrations (really just teeth with no sharp edge in between like a knife) help with cutting roots. Do they and by how much? Roots tend to be snapped/torn by grapples by pressure - not cut by a sharp edge. The roots I have ripped out tend to snap or pull from the soil well clear of the actual point of contact with the grapple.
I have a 28", quick atttach, root ripper, by "OX Thumbs", of Carrollton, GA.
It is a 1" thick, deep scimitar hook shaped, plasma cut piece of AR400, with a replaceable cast tooth.

Competitors sell 25" saw tooth ripper versions.

The OX, 28" maximum depth was most important to me.

A serrated (and/or sharp edge), only serves to impress the buyer, and make a ripper look cool, and mean.
L48 TLB hydraulic POWER breaks the roots!

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

You would be correct if deflection at the end of a cantilever beam as a function of load and length is a linear relationship, but it's not. In deflection calculations the length of the beam (or tooth) has an exponent or more specifically is raised to the third power, so a 7% reduction in length results in significantly more than a 7% reduction in deflection. This all assumes small elastic deflections, but in your 4" tine example, reducing the length by 1/4" would reduce deflection by close to 18%.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
You would be correct if deflection at the end of a cantilever beam as a function of load and length is a linear relationship, but it's not. In deflection calculations the length of the beam (or tooth) has an exponent or more specifically is raised to the third power, so a 7% reduction in length results in significantly more than a 7% reduction in deflection. This all assumes small elastic deflections, but in your 4" tine example, reducing the length by 1/4" would reduce deflection by close to 18%.
Even if you are correct (the calculator site I used did show 7%), 18% potentially reduced by the additional welding (real life production welding by humans) makes the improvement small or speculative.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Even if you are correct (the calculator site I used did show 7%), 18% potentially reduced by the additional welding (real life production welding by humans) makes the improvement small or speculative.
Here are the upper tines on my grapple. A lot more than 1/4" of gusseting with little chance of bending or breaking tines.

But I don't disagree that implement manufacturers add features that have no functional benefit but are included to make something look more capable.

ea_wicked_60_03.jpg

ea_wicked_60_05.jpg

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Here are the upper tines on my grapple. A lot more than 1/4" of gusseting with little chance of bending or breaking tines.

But I don't disagree that implement manufacturers add features that have no functional benefit but are included to make something look more capable.

View attachment 122623

View attachment 122624
Well that would make it much stronger, but it would also make it much more difficult to penetrate as deeply and push through the ground. Again, it is a trade off versus only a benefit.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Aren't grapples supposed to HOLD stuff and SHOVELS to 'push through the ground' ?? ;)
FWIW local guy here ,sells smooth faced JD knockoffs for 1/3rd the JD price ,even PD JD green.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Well that would make it much stronger, but it would also make it much more difficult to penetrate as deeply and push through the ground. Again, it is a trade off versus only a benefit.
The bottom tines do the penetrating more than the top and are a triple laminated affair. Honestly, I mostly use the grapple to pick up boulders that need some amount of freeing from the dirt, pick up and move logs and some brush work so no doubt it's overbuilt for my needs.

I get the impression that most of us here are more than happy with the grapple that we buy unless we bend or break it. :ROFLMAO: My only regret is that I bought the 60 rather than the 66 model.

ea_wicked_60_27.jpg

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't know if theres a linear or exponential relationship, but I like serrations because they look bad ass.

I wish my grapple had serrations, but my ripper tooth does, so there's that. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't know if theres a linear or exponential relationship, but I like serrations because they look bad ass.

I wish my grapple had serrations, but my ripper tooth does, so there's that. :)
I like serrations too since in my world of picking up big logs and rocks they seem to get a better bite. Sharks have been aware of this for millions of years! :ROFLMAO:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Serrations are akin to bayonets most likely.

Before that horrific boating accident, I also had one of these,

1708288393036.png

I mean really man......what the hell do/did I need a bayonet on a 12 gauge for?

Simple answer: Because it looks bad ass!

My "charging up that hill with bayonets affixed" days are long behind me.

Hell, my fat ass has a hard time "running to the fridge" for a snack now....LOL

Reactions: 1 users

Matt S.

Equipment
BX 23S , LA 340, BT 603, Box Scraper , Grapple
Feb 19, 2024
Massachusetts
I have been considering the wicked 55 for a while. It has gone up $300 while I’ve been pondering the purchase. The EA facility is about an hour away.
My question for y’all is are there cheaper alternatives that are comparable in weight. The weight savings of the wicked 55 is important because my main tractor use is moving logs around for firewood processing. Many of the logs I haul home are big 24-32” diameter or bigger.
For the w55 owners is the cost worth it? Any quality or durability issues?
The EA site says tested on an L6060, but it’s recommended for under 30hp?
Is there any reason I can’t use it regularly on my MX5100?
I’m currently using a fork grapple, but it has some limitations. #1 being I have to stand up to see where the forks are #2 some picks the load is too far out front #3 picking big rounds, or short logs is difficult and time consuming. Thanks for any input you can provide.
Good Works Tractor i just bought the SCG 48 on sale and paid $1964. For my BX 23S

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh, that SCG48 has 20 parts, SEVEN are safety warning labels...

looks like a good match for the BX23S !

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
Ordered Homestead Pinnacle 55 on 2/5. Received grapple ready to ship email today 3/21. Scheduled Estes pickup from Homestead 3/26. Scheduled to arrive at my house 3/28. Scheduled first log move with new grapple 3/29. Scheduled week of PTO beginning 4/1 to remove paint from grapple tines.

Reactions: 5 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Kid arborist down the road ,has an AVANT (sp) machine with smooth fingered grapple. Doesn't have any problem grappling logs. BTW, machine is Kubota powered, think same engine as BX23S ?

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
Delivered on 4/1. Everything looks and operates as it should. I’d order from them again. I didn’t order lift gate service but that’s how it was delivered. I stuck my forks into the truck and he wasn’t having it.
IMG_3367.jpeg
IMG_3369.jpeg
IMG_3371.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Good Works Tractor i just bought the SCG 48 on sale and paid $1964. For my BX 23S
How does your tractor handle the weight of the grapple? The BX23S isn't known for its lifting power. I know because I own one.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
WOW!
$1964 for a 48" grapple...."on sale" ????
Bidenomics has definitely hit grapple pricing!!

Reactions: 1 users