Grand L HST compared to a L HST

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
N I Wolfman is an accomplished authority concerning kubota tractors

The question: kubota offers an enhanced HST transmission for the Grand L .

Other than repetitive FEL operations where minimal distances exist between a stockpile and a bucket discharge, such as loading a truck, where would the average HST operator benefit from these enhanced features.??

I have benefitted from the simple heel/ toe treadle pedal for years and found the ability to simply change directions on a whim to be quite adequate.

Folks use their FEL feature to solve many tasks, to lift and load or lift and carry, to clearing brush, operate a grapple, so just how often is the task at hand actually made simpler by this specific Grand L transmission?

Is mowing, for example, enhanced?

Of course the response isn't limited to N I Wolfman, just want to include his input in the reply.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm more of a GST aficionado, But I'll see if I can give this a shot.

Take these enhancments:

Auto throttle, take it or leave it: Works more like a car.

HST Dual Speed: You now have a 6 speed hydro...who wouldn't want that. :D
It also does offer a little more contol when working with delicate or finer placement of loads.

Dual speed Auto shift: enables faster loading as it shifts up to move faster and down to push harder.

Adjustable sensitivity: Makes for easier pedal operation, especially for someone with limited ankle/leg mobility.

Cruise control: Tasks like mowing are easier on the legs!

Stall guard: Again take it or leave it, it's great for those that need to learn.

Attachments

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There are times when it helps the problem of not having 3 hands. If you are running your loader and bucket if the rpm is linked to the foot pedal you can feather bucket dumping without letting go of the loader valve or the steering wheel to change throttle. In auto throttle you can set the minimum rpm with the hand throttle, and then go all the way up to max rpm with foot pedal, which also controls how fast the tractor is moving.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Auto Throttle is nice when you are transporting, moving from place to place; but not particularly helpful when working. When working the tractor, it gets turned off (push of a button). You can set the low limit with the throttle, and the high limit is set in the auto throttle. I do use it to get to where I am going, but usually turn it off or just throttle up when I am working.

HDS I like a lot. The HDS lever is up at the wheel, and with a flick of the finger you can shift it on the fly. So if you are loading up the tractor, you can flip down to a lower range easily while still pushing. For example, if you are pushing into a pile, you flick the lever down to low and you get more pushing torque. They after you pick up the bucket you flip the lever up to give you more speed to get to where you are dumping.

Stall Guard can be handy, but can also be a pain when you are varying the load such as tilling. The tractor was surging when tilling, and I realized I had left Stall Guard on. Turned it of and just kept an eye on RPM's and I had no more problems. I can do without this feature.

I will also say that the setting the sensitivity to my likes is nice. It is a one time tune to your liking, but it is nice.

On the intangibles... compared to my B series tractor, the control on the Grand L is so much better. I can place a rigged load so much better and more accurately.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
No way to adequately explain the advantages as one user likes something another user is indifferent. I traded a L5030HSTC in perfect condition for my L5740HSTC+ and for the first week or so was definitely underwhelmed. It began to grow on me as I learned all the features and LOVE it now.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
Our M59 TLB has the enhanced items that Wolfman listed. Granted, its a lot bigger unit, but the auto-throttle, dual speed HST and stall guard have worked wonders around here, digging graves in varying types of dirt, moving dirt from pile to grave, or moving the pile from along the road to about 75 ft away from the road.

With the wet conditions around here this year, I have used the M59 a lot more to back fill than I have in years past. The M59 is more maneuverable than our Ford F-350 dump truck for getting around the stones, and ways less, so it doesn't leave as deep or as many ruts.

Digger Dager