Grand L 60 - Double Step

rjpackwin

Equipment
Grand L3560 HST
Jan 5, 2022
Iron Mountain, MI
Has anyone purchased a “Double LED Step” (either Left or Right side) from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods in Newfoundland Canada? I have issues with my right knee and getting up and down out of my L3560 seems to aggravate my knee. I occasionally watch some of Paul Short‘s YouTube videos (Kubota Specialty Repairs Custom Mods) and found this “step” accessory he offers on his website. Paul and his wife do some nice work and create some interesting add-on’s for us Kubota lovers. I’m in support of the fact his design time, investment in trials, raw materials & labor to create product carry a value! Just not certain the double step Paul offers for $410 USD plus freight is worth that much? However, I don’t have the tools or skills to duplicate it and my knee is telling me it’s worth $410 plus freight. I do realize it is more than just a step … the steps are under lit with LED lights and there is an LED that also casts light onto the ground surface for a much safer exit.
So has anyone one purchased and installed one of Specialty Repairs Custom Mods Double LED Steps? If yes, can you comment Pro’s & Con’s or any feedback. I would like to order one, but would like to learn from anyone who purchased a Double Step if they’re happy with it and if it’s worth the investment.
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Has anyone purchased a “Double LED Step” (either Left or Right side) from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods in Newfoundland Canada? I have issues with my right knee and getting up and down out of my L3560 seems to aggravate my knee. I occasionally watch some of Paul Short‘s YouTube videos (Kubota Specialty Repairs Custom Mods) and found this “step” accessory he offers on his website. Paul and his wife do some nice work and create some interesting add-on’s for us Kubota lovers. I’m in support of the fact his design time, investment in trials, raw materials & labor to create product carry a value! Just not certain the double step Paul offers for $410 USD plus freight is worth that much? However, I don’t have the tools or skills to duplicate it and my knee is telling me it’s worth $410 plus freight. I do realize it is more than just a step … the steps are under lit with LED lights and there is an LED that also casts light onto the ground surface for a much safer exit.
So has anyone one purchased and installed one of Specialty Repairs Custom Mods Double LED Steps? If yes, can you comment Pro’s & Con’s or any feedback. I would like to order one, but would like to learn from anyone who purchased a Double Step if they’re happy with it and if it’s worth the investment.
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I have NOT purchased Paul Short's double step, but I did purchase his single step for my L48 TLB.
I completely understand where you are about the price.
As I recall, my single step was $258 or thereabouts.

I tried to put the rather high purchase price into perspective.
I was 79 years old (now 81).
I felt that the possibility of my foot shipping off the OEM step was real.
The question then became: How much is it worth at 80 years old, to help avoid a broken arm/leg/hip?
The answer was EASY!

In my opinion, Paul and Kathy Short make quality upgrades, that can certainly be worth the money!
I love my step from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods!
I thank Paul and Kathy for their work!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I purchased the steps for the out-riggers on my BH and even though expensive, I no longer slip when I get on or off my BH. Well worth the money to keep from breaking my 71 year old bones.

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I say buy the step as your heirs will likely be less concerned with the importance of your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

rjpackwin

Equipment
Grand L3560 HST
Jan 5, 2022
Iron Mountain, MI
Placed an order with Specialty Repairs Custom Mods this afternoon for left side double step. Once I receive and install I’ll have to post a pic!
Thanks for feedback!

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Hopefully you will smile a little every time you use that step and think what a great purchase it was and how it provides value and pleasure making your life easier.

Reactions: 1 user

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas
Well worth the money and a lot cheaper than a hip replacement. The standard step on my L6060 was really slippery and not designed well. Besides that the manual says to come down the step facing the tractor and few of us do it that way!😊

rjpackwin

Equipment
Grand L3560 HST
Jan 5, 2022
Iron Mountain, MI
The new left side “double step” arrived today from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods (Canada). In just a few minutes the old step (1st pic) was removed and the new double step (2nd pic) was installed.
I thought, why throw the original step in the spare parts heap when I can possibly retrofit it to the right side of tractor. This step / door is seldom used due to interference created by loader joystick. With about 15 minutes of effort, four drilled holes, and four new bolts the right side (3rd pic) is also a double step!
Big thank you to Paul & Kathy Short at Specialty Repairs Custom Mods!

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have most of their mods for my L6060…just havent installed them yet! Great to see they are worth the investment.

Gordon Rob

Equipment
MX-5400
Apr 2, 2022
North Branch MI
Gordon Rob here—-I’m 87, with a replaced knee. I just upgraded to an MX-5400 and am struggling to climb up onto this big tall beast. That first step is a doozy. I’m thinking of unbolting the front and rear vertical straps that attach the step to the frame and bolting on longer straps that will lower the step about 3 inches. Those $400 special steps look nice but I wouldn’t think that they could be mounted any lower toward the ground than my proposed scrap metal redneck solution. I’d appreciate any advice.

Gordon Rob

Equipment
MX-5400
Apr 2, 2022
North Branch MI
Gordon Rob here—-I’m 87, with a replaced knee. I just upgraded to an MX-5400 and am struggling to climb up onto this big tall beast. That first step is a doozy. I’m thinking of unbolting the front and rear vertical straps that attach the step to the frame and bolting on longer straps that will lower the step about 3 inches. Those $400 special steps look nice but I wouldn’t think that they could be mounted any lower toward the ground than my proposed scrap metal redneck solution. I’d appreciate any advice.

Gordon Rob

Equipment
MX-5400
Apr 2, 2022
North Branch MI
Gordon Rob here again. Specialty Repairs advertises steps for the MX-5400 CAB MODEL only. Since the steps attach to the bottom of the tractor frame I can’t understand why the MX-5400 steps they manufacture wouldn’t also fit on my ROP’s model. I asked them this question but didn’t get an answer other than that they only offer steps for the cab model. I can’t find steps advertised anywhere that will fit my 5400, and at almost age 88 and with a replaced knee I really need an additional lower step. Does anyone have any advice?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Why not E-mail Paul & Kathy Short, or even call them in Bay Roberts, NL?
Ask them about fitment (modification?), and or step height from ground.

Gordon Rob

Equipment
MX-5400
Apr 2, 2022
North Branch MI
Why not E-mail Paul & Kathy Short, or even call them in Bay Roberts, NL?
Ask them about fitment (modification?), and or step height from ground.
Gordon Rob here—-I did email them, twice, and asked why their cab model 5400 steps wouldn’t fit my ROPS model 5400, since the steps attach to the bottom frame. They didn’t give me an answer—-only reiterated that their steps fit the cab model—-period. I got the impression that they only build steps for very specific models that they actually have their hands on, so they know for sure that they will fit, and won’t commit to their steps fitting anything even slightly different. Anyway, their steps seem to be greatly over-priced so I’m looking elsewhere—-without any success so far.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Gordon Rob here—-I did email them, twice, and asked why their cab model 5400 steps wouldn’t fit my ROPS model 5400, since the steps attach to the bottom frame. They didn’t give me an answer—-only reiterated that their steps fit the cab model—-period. I got the impression that they only build steps for very specific models that they actually have their hands on, so they know for sure that they will fit, and won’t commit to their steps fitting anything even slightly different. Anyway, their steps seem to be greatly over-priced so I’m looking elsewhere—-without any success so far.
In my opinion, you have hit the nail on the head!
Their stuff is way over priced, but it is also excellent quality.
Your e-mail response likely came from Kathy, and she has apparently been instructed by Paul to not get involved with fitment questions.

They live in a very rural area (some miles North of St. John, NL).
Their only dealer (in St. John's) most likely does not stock many different Kubota models, and they have only that dealer stock for reference.

Newfoundland is a wild and woolly place, but populated with great people.
I lived there in '64-'65.

Last edited:

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I have NOT purchased Paul Short's double step, but I did purchase his single step for my L48 TLB.
I completely understand where you are about the price.
As I recall, my single step was $258 or thereabouts.

I tried to put the rather high purchase price into perspective.
I was 79 years old (now 81).
I felt that the possibility of my foot shipping off the OEM step was real.
The question then became: How much is it worth at 80 years old, to help avoid a broken arm/leg/hip?
The answer was EASY!

In my opinion, Paul and Kathy Short make quality upgrades, that can certainly be worth the money!
I love my step from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods!
I thank Paul and Kathy for their work!
Thank you very much for your purchase and it’s great to hear you like your step.
We put a lot of time, thought and money into building these products. We’ve had to expand our shop twice in four years and now have over 500 grand into both expansions and we may have to expand next year. We could have charged half the price but you’d only have half the step.
keep well and thanks again.

Wildfire

Equipment
In my opinion, you have hit the nail on the head!
Their stuff is way over priced, but it is also excellent quality.
Your e-mail response likely came from Kathy, and she has apparently been instructed by Paul to not get involved with fitment questions.

They live in a very rural area (some miles North of St. John, NL).
Their only dealer (in St. John) most likely does not stock many different Kubota models, and they have only that dealer stock for reference.

Newfoundland is a wild and woolly place, but populated with great people.
I lived there in '64-'65.
First of all I never instruct my wife to do anything. As in our marriage of over 40 years it’s a partnership and the same goes for our business. All business dealing are made mutually and it’s a model we've always lived by.
There are many reasons why we don’t develop a product. One reason is the lack of interest we see in that product. In five years we’ve only had one inquiry for a ROPS 5400 step. Kathy tells me the gentleman wanted to know if one of our steps would fit his tractor and we couldn’t verify that it would. We don’t want to sell anyone anything unless we’ve tried and tested the product on the tractor in question. We’ve had folks begging us to sell them accessories for there John Deere when our products were exclusively designed for specific Kubota models and they would argue that they could make them fit. 😳
as for cost. As I mentioned earlier in this post. In 4 years we’ve expanded our shop twice. Purchased a lot of new equipment and now we’re over the 500 grand mark. it cost money to come up with an idea, design them, build them and market them. People have a choice. Purchase what you can afford or simply leave it where it is.
Thats how I do it. All I can tell you is our customers love what we offer and they love the quality and they tell us it makes their time on their tractor both safer and more comfortable. Thats good enough for us.
I seldom spend any time on the forums anymore. I just don’t have the time.
Keep well and be safe.

Reactions: 5 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The new left side “double step” arrived today from Specialty Repairs Custom Mods (Canada). In just a few minutes the old step (1st pic) was removed and the new double step (2nd pic) was installed.
I thought, why throw the original step in the spare parts heap when I can possibly retrofit it to the right side of tractor. This step / door is seldom used due to interference created by loader joystick. With about 15 minutes of effort, four drilled holes, and four new bolts the right side (3rd pic) is also a double step!
Did you wire in the running lights? If so how?

Wildfire

Equipment
Thank your business. Looks great. Keep well and be safe!