Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
None of us likes to be told What-to-do .... but the ad hominem attacks on “liberals” “gubmint” “Bureaucrats” are simply inflammatory and ignorant, and reflect poorly on the writer. Unless you’ve worked in a government job alongside those workers I doubt you know anything other than imagined frustration, or are joining a chorus of other disgruntled ignorants. Don’t fall into that trap.

I’ve worked there (gov’t jobs) during periods when my industry jobs laid off and was pleasantly surprised to find virtually ALL of those “bureaucrats” I used to think poorly of ... are actually dedicated, talented, and efficient. Their reputation suffers because their JOB is to serve a public that doesn’t understand the constraints their job places upon them. Example: It is ILLEGAL for a gov’t worker to tell you how or encourage you to violate the law. It is their JOB to educate us about, and as to how we can comply with the law. If they did anything else, YOU would be mad as hell at them for taking their paycheck (which is lower than what they’d make in similar jobs in industry) while violating the law by doing something which allows your competitor to get around regulations with which YOU have to comply. I learned a lot about and from those gov’t workers and left the job with admiration for virtually all I worked with.

If you don’t like emission controls on tractors, let’s get unified and contact our legislators and get exemptions for agricultural equipment.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Re: I wonder about new Kubota tractors...

Geo. your view of govt. workers is very different then mine. I don't work there and never have, but when folks who do work there brag about how much they make and how little they do without being provoked I find it disgusting.

I also have a very close friend who is extremely conscious and thankful for his job with the FAA. I hear frequently how incompetent the new folks are, and don't want to work. I hear of 3 or 4 guys working on one problem (this is dealing with electrical circuits in airport landing systems). The older guy is working, the younger ones aren't even trying to learn and spend more times discussing to sports or on their phone. When it comes to climbing a tower to adjust an antenna the young one won't. There's not supervisor there to do anything about it. Any they virtually can not get fired!

I have very little respect for the supervisors in these situations. I think about 1/4 of gov't. employees could be cut loose and never missed because they are not productive.

Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

Ditto for what Geo said.

D2 what you said about youngsters in government jobs we have all said about their work ethic or lack thereof in a bunch of jobs. Or the overall incompetence of people answering phones in a variety of places like doctor's offices etc. Some know what they're doing and some don't. Heck even university faculty are viewed as slackers because after all they are only in the classroom 3 hrs a week,c or 11 for each course with a lab. I guess the 12 or 15 hours that it takes to research and write a Powerpoint presentation, or any other form of teaching, doesn't count as work...

I like Geo's idea of working to change legislation when it is impractical.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

None of us likes to be told What-to-do .... but the ad hominem attacks on ***8220;liberals***8221; ***8220;gubmint***8221; ***8220;Bureaucrats***8221; are simply inflammatory and ignorant, and reflect poorly on the writer. Unless you***8217;ve worked in a government job alongside those workers I doubt you know anything other than imagined frustration, or are joining a chorus of other disgruntled ignorants. Don***8217;t fall into that trap.

I***8217;ve worked there (gov***8217;t jobs) during periods when my industry jobs laid off and was pleasantly surprised to find virtually ALL of those ***8220;bureaucrats***8221; I used to think poorly of ... are actually dedicated, talented, and efficient. Their reputation suffers because their JOB is to serve a public that doesn***8217;t understand the constraints their job places upon them. Example: It is ILLEGAL for a gov***8217;t worker to tell you how or encourage you to violate the law. It is their JOB to educate us about, and as to how we can comply with the law. If they did anything else, YOU would be mad as hell at them for taking their paycheck (which is lower than what they***8217;d make in similar jobs in industry) while violating the law by doing something which allows your competitor to get around regulations with which YOU have to comply. I learned a lot about and from those gov***8217;t workers and left the job with admiration for virtually all I worked with.

If you don***8217;t like emission controls on tractors, let***8217;s get unified and contact our legislators and get exemptions for agricultural equipment.
Sorry, but my criticism of gubmint is anything but ignorant. Morover, criticism of an entity, rather than a human, is not an "ad hominem" attack.

Finally, though it was once true that government workers were often paid less than those working in the private sector doing jobs requiring similar education and training in exchange for more lucrative benefits and job security, such is largely a myth these days and becoming more so every year.

BTDT.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Geo. your view of govt. workers is very different then mine. I don't work there and never have, but when folks who do work there brag about how much they make and how little they do without being provoked I find it disgusting.

I also have a very close friend who is extremely conscious and thankful for his job with the FAA. I hear frequently how incompetent the new folks are, and don't want to work. I hear of 3 or 4 guys working on one problem (this is dealing with electrical circuits in airport landing systems). The older guy is working, the younger ones aren't even trying to learn and spend more times discussing to sports or on their phone. When it comes to climbing a tower to adjust an antenna the young one won't. There's not supervisor there to do anything about it. Any they virtually can not get fired!

I have very little respect for the supervisors in these situations. I think about 1/4 of gov't. employees could be cut loose and never missed because they are not productive.
Well said, D2.

BTDT

SDT

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

D2 : You are quoting ONE persons opinion of his co-workers as if that applies to everyone who works in such jobs. Hardly authoritative.

SDT: “gubmint”, as designed in the U.S. is “OF the people and BY the people” ...which is why your implied criticism of those who work there has “ad hominem” implications.

But apparently neither of you are speaking from first-hand experience from within the organizations and so it’s doubtful your opinions are based on much validity. This means you tend to simply hate other people for unverified/anecdotal reasons. Is that a feature of Christianity which most of us profess to follow?

(Hold on... let me step out of this glass house...). ;)

• Dislike

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

D2 : You are quoting ONE persons opinion of his co-workers as if that applies to everyone who works in such jobs. Hardly authoritative.

SDT: “gubmint”, as designed in the U.S. is “OF the people and BY the people” ...which is why your implied criticism of those who work there has “ad hominem” implications.

But apparently neither of you are speaking from first-hand experience from within the organizations and so it’s doubtful your opinions are based on much validity. This means you tend to simply hate other people for unverified/anecdotal reasons. Is that a feature of Christianity which most of us profess to follow?

Good idea. I have a paving brick ready to throw....

I look at it this way, I run what I run and if it smokes, fine with me. I'm doing my own small part to perpetuate global warming...:eek:

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

I look at it this way, I run what I run and if it smokes, fine with me. I'm doing my own small part to perpetuate global warming...:eek:
Hey, Flip! If we operate our older stuff and it spits out carbon particles that fall to the ground eventually.... AREN’T WE FIGHTING GLOBAL WARMING BY REDUCING CO/CO2 into the atmosphere? :D

(If we burn up the carbon with DPF regeneration, aren’t we contributing to warming by converting it to CO2?). :confused:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Regarding the "ad hominem" issue, you are simply incorrect. Look it up.

Regarding first hand experience, again, you are incorrect. I have years of experience in both government and the private sector and do speak from first hand experience. Moreover, I hate no one, but things COULD change if the insane behavior of one US political party does not cease.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Good idea. I have a paving brick ready to throw....

FWIW, Flip, one thing that is virtually certain is another ice age.

Some day, humans will, no doubt, pray for global warming.

Thanks for your help.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

FWIW, Flip, one thing that is virtually certain is another ice age.

Some day, humans will, no doubt, pray for global warming.

Thanks for your help.

SDT
No problem...

Climate is always cyclical and you nor I can control that so yes, I do my part every time I mash the throttle and that 'evil' sooty smokes comes out if the exhaust stack....:D

Like Bulldog said, best thing to do is shove the exhaust pipe up the EPA's butt and reef on the throttle...

Man has a penchant for controlling everything but the 3 things they have no control over are death, climate and general weather patterns.

Everyone dies at some point, the climate is always changing and your weather today isn't the weather you have tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

You tell us your experience while working govt. jobs. I tell you my experience as told to me by someone who has worked his job for 38 years....but your information is more valid? BS!

And because you determine only first hand experience makes opinions valid, you say "This means you tend to simply hate other people for unverified/anecdotal reasons."

You need to get back on your meds.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

You tell us your experience while working govt. jobs. I tell you my experience as told to me by someone who has worked his job for 38 years....but your information is more valid? BS!

And because you determine only first hand experience makes opinions valid, you say "This means you tend to simply hate other people for unverified/anecdotal reasons."

You need to get back on your meds.
That is a little harsh young man....:eek:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

Regarding the "ad hominem" issue, you are simply incorrect. Look it up.

Regarding first hand experience, again, you are incorrect. I have years of experience in both government and the private sector and do speak from first hand experience. Moreover, I hate no one, but things COULD change if the insane behavior of one US political party does not cease.

SDT
I was referring to the attacks on bureaucrats and individuals who work gov’t jobs and the inclination to attack them as “lazy” and other personal attacks.

Ad hominem: attacks directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com

Old saying: Don't kill the messenger because you don't like the message.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Old saying: Don't kill the messenger because you don't like the message.
Perfectly acceptable to hit them in the head with a baseball bat however....;)

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS

I was referring to the attacks on bureaucrats and individuals who work gov’t jobs and the inclination to attack them as “lazy” and other personal attacks.

Ad hominem: attacks directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
The military is all government employees.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Curious myself. My wife retired from the DOD which is Military run and she was a civillian.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS

The point is that govenment agencies and employees do good work too. Are they inefficient? Probably any large organization is inefficient. If you have ever worked in a very large company you will see lots of examples. But they get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.