Got a couple of quotes today

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
Today I visited a Kubota dealer in NC. I got a couple of quotes within $1000 of each other. One is an LX2610SU with R4 tires, loader, HST, and a canopy. The other is an L2501DT with 8x4 shuttle shift, R4 tires, and a canopy. I now need to decide which one to buy.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Today I visited a Kubota dealer in NC. I got a couple of quotes within $1000 of each other. One is an LX2610SU with R4 tires, loader, HST, and a canopy. The other is an L2501DT with 8x4 shuttle shift, R4 tires, and a canopy. I now need to decide which one to buy.
My suggestion is sit down and write down what projects/tasks your planning on doing with them. If most of the time is 3pt work mowing plowing and the like the manual trans might a better fit. If it's mostly loader work the HST is a better fit. Size is the next thing drive both. In my case I have lots of tight woods and the L series is just too big. The LX is a challenge but I needed more loader capacity than a B Series offers. Last point is if you get the LX get the 15-19.5 tires it made a big difference in traction on mine also I have mine loaded with RimGuard.
Just my $0.02

Reactions: 1 users

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
My suggestion is sit down and write down what projects/tasks your planning on doing with them. If most of the time is 3pt work mowing plowing and the like the manual trans might a better fit. If it's mostly loader work the HST is a better fit. Size is the next thing drive both. In my case I have lots of tight woods and the L series is just too big. The LX is a challenge but I needed more loader capacity than a B Series offers. Last point is if you get the LX get the 15-19.5 tires it made a big difference in traction on mine also I have mine loaded with RimGuard.
Just my $0.02
Thanks….the dealer will load the tires. Most of my work will be open pasture, so the size isn’t an issue.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
It's a personal thing... I love my HST but at first, I hated it (wife wanted it, easier to drive). I now agree, it's easier to drive but you need the engine at a higher RPM to move around (read that as "loud whiny noise"). I used to drive just gear tractors and loved to shift gears... now a days, that hurts!!! I feel better (more energy, not worn out) after driving a HST - I just have to wear ear protection!!!

How much more for L2501 HST?

Wyatt545

Equipment
Kubota M5660, RCR1884, pallet forks and EA Severe Xtreme 84" box blade
Nov 13, 2022
Zionville, NC
I just sold an L3901DT and it was very strong and I loved the geared tractor for mowing and dragging gravel; however, it was challenging when using grapple and fine loader work. I ended up going with M5660 with shuttle shift.
I can fully support that if you are doing alot of loader work, definitely HST.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
L2501 gear doesn’t have a live pto, and if you’re doing a lot of rotary cutting, you will notice that. Since size isn’t an issue, go with the heavier duty L tractor. But get it with HST and cruise control. I have never understood the recommendations to go with a gear tractor for mowing. Cruise control on a HST tractor allows for better ground speed control than a geared machine.

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would Caution you that an LX2610SU in quite a downgrade from an LX2610.
Also an L2501DT it quite a downgrade from a L2501HST!
Also note: Smaller geared tractors like the L2501DT have a much lower resale valve that a same size HST.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The L2501 you didn't mention a loader. If that's correct, then I wouldn't buy a tractor without a loader.

I personally wouldn't buy a gear drive.

I didn't think the L2501 was a shuttle shift (i.e. can move from forward to reverse without clutching). If it is a shuttle that's quite a bit better than a straight gear drive. I'd personally get the HST, but Dad had a shuttle in his big tractor and it was fine for loader work.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Ask the dealer for the WSM and operator manual in PDF on a memory stick, two complete sets of filters for service, and ask them to pick up and do your first 50 hour service for free. And a Kubota hat and a wheel spinner. And a tool box for the tractor. And front and rear remotes.

• Haha

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
A hydro with a loader vs a shuttle shift without a loader, pretty easy choice for me, hydro/loader. I would also compare specs between the two, the 2610 weights 800 lbs more but has the same gross power.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Interesting.

Did not know that anyone made tractors as small as the 2501 with a shuttle shift.

Assuming that it is a synchro shuttle with unsynchronized 4 speed and non-live PTO???

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
It's a personal thing... I love my HST but at first, I hated it (wife wanted it, easier to drive). I now agree, it's easier to drive but you need the engine at a higher RPM to move around (read that as "loud whiny noise"). I used to drive just gear tractors and loved to shift gears... now a days, that hurts!!! I feel better (more energy, not worn out) after driving a HST - I just have to wear ear protection!!!

How much more for L2501 HST?
They didn’t have one with HST.

Seane1987

Equipment
LX2610SU TLB, BX2350
Jul 18, 2021
Lafayette NY
I like my LX2610SU, if you are not aware, it does not come with cruise control standard if you plan on doing field work with it. You can get cruise control as an option, I do not find myself missing it, even when mowing. It does not have a tilt steering column or a suspension seat with adjustable seat back either. The SU does not have a mid PTO, and it cannot be added after the fact.

I would like to have the nicer seat like the regular LX2610, just for the adjustable back, but I don't regret getting the SU at all.

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
I like my LX2610SU, if you are not aware, it does not come with cruise control standard if you plan on doing field work with it. You can get cruise control as an option, I do not find myself missing it, even when mowing. It does not have a tilt steering column or a suspension seat with adjustable seat back either. The SU does not have a mid PTO, and it cannot be added after the fact.

I would like to have the nicer seat like the regular LX2610, just for the adjustable back, but I don't regret getting the SU at all.
The one I looked at has cruise control, hst,nice armrest, loader. I don’t need mid pto. It came out abt $1000 less than the L2501 shuttle shift. Thanks for your input.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
The one I looked at has cruise control, hst,nice armrest, loader. I don’t need mid pto. It came out abt $1000 less than the L2501 shuttle shift. Thanks for your input.
A couple of things that I forgot to mention.... The motor on the 2501 is set back farther from the front of the tractor than the motor in the LX. The only thing with that is if you do your own maintenance you MIGHT find the LX easier to work on. My LX2610HST with 2 rear remotes, 3rd function, loader & 60" bucket and the big 15-19.5 R4's loaded with RimGuard weights 3,555 pounds with a quick hitch and 6' chepo Tarter back blade. That is quite a bit heavier than the weights in the brochure lead me to expect.

Attachments

Roknstevo

Jan 21, 2023
North Carolina
A couple of things that I forgot to mention.... The motor on the 2501 is set back farther from the front of the tractor than the motor in the LX. The only thing with that is if you do your own maintenance you MIGHT find the LX easier to work on. My LX2610HST with 2 rear remotes, 3rd function, loader & 60" bucket and the big 15-19.5 R4's loaded with RimGuard weights 3,555 pounds with a quick hitch and 6' chepo Tarter back blade. That is quite a bit heavier than the weights in the brochure lead me to expect.
Thanks…..What length trailer would I need for 2610? Almost forgot…what is a rear remote and 3rd function?

Last edited: